Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recommendation for 1st digital camera (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t251888-recommendation-for-1st-digital-camera.html)

Carlos Cid 02-02-2004 09:11 AM

Recommendation for 1st digital camera

Hi,

I have been recently thinking about buying my first digital camera.
Have looked around in especialized sites on the Net, and it seems that
there is an incredible choice of models, with a wide variety of
features, so I am a bit confused.

I want to completely replace my optical Canon camera EOF1000N, which I
have for quite while now, and takes good enough quality photos (in my
opinion). I take mainly photos of family, trips, I am no (even
amateur) photographer. I don't really care about fancy features like
MP3, 20 sec of motion film, etc. Although they might look like
interesting features, it is very unlikely that I will ever use it, and
therefore I would not like to pay extra for that.

Quality of shots is my main interest. I thought about going for 4Mp.
Memory, well I will probably buy more anyway. Battery life seems to be
important, so perhaps one with rechargeble batteries...

In summary, I am looking for a reliable camera, that takes *good
quality photos*, 4 Mp, between 250-400 US$. It looks that there is too
much choice, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Carlos

VIC 02-02-2004 10:05 AM

Re: Recommendation for 1st digital camera

A lot of people might suggest a more costly but very fine OLY 5050 p&s
Mine takes better pictures than I'm capable of most of the time.

Dan Pidcock 02-02-2004 04:41 PM

caico@dol.ie (Carlos Cid) wrote in message news:<e214e7d2.0402020111.1dc95c5a@posting.google. com>...
> Hi,
>
> In summary, I am looking for a reliable camera, that takes *good
> quality photos*, 4 Mp, between 250-400 US$. It looks that there is too
> much choice, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Carlos

Olympus Mju Digital 400 (called stylus epic in US?) is very nice. The
autofocus performs well, images are very nice quality and clear,
operation is pretty quick and it is nice and small. No manual or
aperture/shutter priority modes though if that's important to you.

Dan

Guenter Fieblinger 02-02-2004 06:35 PM

Re: Recommendation for 1st digital camera

Carlos,

then there is the Canon G2 (or even G3) that may be discounted to meet your
budget.
These are excellent 4 MP cameras giving stunning prints up to 8x10".

Be wary to go to cameras with 5 MP or more within your budget limits because
the resulting picture quality may be worse than good 4 MP cameras will yield
as many postings in this newsgroup will tell you.

Guenter

RandallStainsworth@hotmail.com 02-02-2004 10:39 PM

Carlos Cid wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been recently thinking about buying my first digital camera.
> Have looked around in especialized sites on the Net, and it seems that
> there is an incredible choice of models, with a wide variety of
> features, so I am a bit confused.
>
> I want to completely replace my optical Canon camera EOF1000N, which I
> have for quite while now, and takes good enough quality photos (in my
> opinion). I take mainly photos of family, trips, I am no (even
> amateur) photographer. I don't really care about fancy features like
> MP3, 20 sec of motion film, etc. Although they might look like
> interesting features, it is very unlikely that I will ever use it, and
> therefore I would not like to pay extra for that.
>
> Quality of shots is my main interest. I thought about going for 4Mp.
> Memory, well I will probably buy more anyway. Battery life seems to be
> important, so perhaps one with rechargeble batteries...
>
> In summary, I am looking for a reliable camera, that takes *good
> quality photos*, 4 Mp, between 250-400 US$. It looks that there is too
> much choice, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Carlos

Foveon. Everything else sucks