Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t251887-58mm-infrared-x-ray-filter-for-sony-f828-f717.html)

yeo seng tong 02-02-2004 08:22 AM

58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717
 


Why you need to use an Infrared filter?

Sony has changed the Nightshot feature a few times during production.
The first Sony camcorders could shoot Nightshot in the day.*Then Sony
found that people were using the camcorders to see through some
clothing, so they changed the camcorders to have a fully open aperture
in Nightshot mode.*This meant in bright light, the picture is
overexposed. Some of the most recent camcorders from Sony are somewhere
in-between.*One recent camcorder we have tested limits the minimum
aperture but still adjusts the aperture wider.*Interestingly, the result
is that in Nightshot mode during daylight, the picture is overexposed
without a filter.*But, using Nightshot in daylight with an IR filter
works!*Perhaps Sony has realized that this feature helps sell cameras.*

Use this GTS2 Infrared Filter on your Sony Cybershot DSC F828/F717/F707
(with NIGHTSHOT) for the X-RAY effect

This is a BRAND NEW 58mm GTS2 1000nm Infrared Filter.
Specifications: Filter Size: 58mm 50% Cutoff Rating: 1000nm

All Sony Cybershot DSC F828/F717F/707 with the Super Nightshot/Nightshot
feature are capable of achieving the X-Ray effect when used with the
GTS2 Infrared filter. Seeing is beliveing. This infrared filter will
filter out 99% of light seen by naked eye only allowing infrared light
thru. Technically the naked eye can see 100% black with the help of this
filter. Because with the night shot function on the naked eye cannot
pick up the high contrast black. So with the GTS2 Infrared filter and
your night shot function on, it will help u see title of a book with a
piece of cloth place over it thus the x-ray effect.
**
This is an excellent filter for outdoor filming.*The GTS2 Infrared
filter is considered to be a dark filter and is used to capture the
highest quality pictures in typical outdoor lighting.

This GTS2 Infrared filter is made with High Grade Imported Infrared
glass from JAPAN. Specially mounted in a 58mm Silverish Grey ring to
match your Sony Cybershot F828/F717/F707.* This filter includes a filp
open type plastic carrying case. Also available in black ring for F828.

Buy price is usd95 plus shipping usd18. check out www.ebay.com
'infrax1000filter' to buy.

Bob Salomon 02-02-2004 10:19 AM

Re: 58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717
 
In article <yeogi-698A99.16223002022004@news02.singnet.com.sg>,
yeo seng tong <yeogi@singnet.com.sg> wrote:

Heliopan also makes a 1000nm filter for IR photography

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Jef Poskanzer 02-02-2004 08:00 PM

Re: 58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717
 
A filter that blocks visible light and lets infrared through is
a nice toy.

A filter that blocks infrared and lets visible light through would
be something I'd use all the time, since it would prevent the
dreaded purple fringing.

Does anyone sell such a filter?

Bob Salomon 02-02-2004 09:00 PM

Re: 58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717
 
In article <9m8mvb.7uq.ln@bomb.acme.com>, Jef Poskanzer <jef@acme.com>
wrote:

> A filter that blocks visible light and lets infrared through is
> a nice toy.
>
> A filter that blocks infrared and lets visible light through would
> be something I'd use all the time, since it would prevent the
> dreaded purple fringing.
>
> Does anyone sell such a filter?


Heliopan has several, depending on the wave length desired.

Of course, since it blocks visible light you would not be able to see
the image on the LCD screen or on an electronic viewfinder.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Dave 02-02-2004 10:57 PM

Re: 58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717
 
Jef Poskanzer <jef@acme.com> wrote in message news:<9m8mvb.7uq.ln@bomb.acme.com>...
> A filter that blocks visible light and lets infrared through is
> a nice toy.
>
> A filter that blocks infrared and lets visible light through would
> be something I'd use all the time, since it would prevent the
> dreaded purple fringing.



Who makes this claim?

Crownfield 02-03-2004 01:30 AM

Re: 58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717
 
Bob Salomon wrote:
>
> In article <9m8mvb.7uq.ln@bomb.acme.com>, Jef Poskanzer <jef@acme.com>
> wrote:
>
> > A filter that blocks visible light and lets infrared through is
> > a nice toy.
> >
> > A filter that blocks infrared and lets visible light through would
> > be something I'd use all the time, since it would prevent the
> > dreaded purple fringing.
> >
> > Does anyone sell such a filter?

>
> Heliopan has several, depending on the wave length desired.
>
> Of course, since it blocks visible light you would not be able to see
> the image on the LCD screen or on an electronic viewfinder.


actually, My old dimage 7 has an electronic viewfinder,
and with an 89b filter, the evf works very well.
so do autoexposure, and autofocus.

> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.


KBob 02-27-2004 06:51 PM

Re: 58mm Infrared 'X Ray' Filter for Sony F828/F717
 
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:22:30 +0800, yeo seng tong
<yeogi@singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>
>
>Why you need to use an Infrared filter?
>
>Sony has changed the Nightshot feature a few times during production.
>The first Sony camcorders could shoot Nightshot in the day.*Then Sony
>found that people were using the camcorders to see through some
>clothing, so they changed the camcorders to have a fully open aperture
>in Nightshot mode.*This meant in bright light, the picture is
>overexposed. Some of the most recent camcorders from Sony are somewhere
>in-between.*One recent camcorder we have tested limits the minimum
>aperture but still adjusts the aperture wider.*Interestingly, the result
>is that in Nightshot mode during daylight, the picture is overexposed
>without a filter.*But, using Nightshot in daylight with an IR filter
>works!*Perhaps Sony has realized that this feature helps sell cameras.*
>
>Use this GTS2 Infrared Filter on your Sony Cybershot DSC F828/F717/F707
>(with NIGHTSHOT) for the X-RAY effect
>
>This is a BRAND NEW 58mm GTS2 1000nm Infrared Filter.
>Specifications: Filter Size: 58mm 50% Cutoff Rating: 1000nm
>
>All Sony Cybershot DSC F828/F717F/707 with the Super Nightshot/Nightshot
>feature are capable of achieving the X-Ray effect when used with the
>GTS2 Infrared filter. Seeing is beliveing. This infrared filter will
>filter out 99% of light seen by naked eye only allowing infrared light
>thru. Technically the naked eye can see 100% black with the help of this
>filter. Because with the night shot function on the naked eye cannot
>pick up the high contrast black. So with the GTS2 Infrared filter and
>your night shot function on, it will help u see title of a book with a
>piece of cloth place over it thus the x-ray effect.
>**
>This is an excellent filter for outdoor filming.*The GTS2 Infrared
>filter is considered to be a dark filter and is used to capture the
>highest quality pictures in typical outdoor lighting.
>
>This GTS2 Infrared filter is made with High Grade Imported Infrared
>glass from JAPAN. Specially mounted in a 58mm Silverish Grey ring to
>match your Sony Cybershot F828/F717/F707.* This filter includes a filp
>open type plastic carrying case. Also available in black ring for F828.
>
>Buy price is usd95 plus shipping usd18. check out www.ebay.com
>'infrax1000filter' to buy.


I did order one of these, since 1000nm filters in 58mm size (or
larger) are very expensive. The Hoyas (R90M, R100M) are $250 or more
and not readiliy available. I've got a couple of them that were
purchased on eBay, but they are only 52mm and vignette with the 828.
They do, however, show that a filter that is deeper than the common
Hoya R72 is more effective on the 828, since there's enough of a
filter factor on these to nearly eliminate the need for added ND's
stacked on, not to mention the added IR effect. He offers these in
both black finish for the 828 and silver for the 717 models.

It might be a good idea to try both an R72 (720nm) together with one
of these 1000nm types, since seperate exposures with these two having
well-defined IR cutoffs may be subtracted in Photoshop to yield false
color.

Someone is also selling B+W ND 1.8 (6 stops) filters on eBay in 58mm
size, and these may be ideal for use with the R72 in sunlit
conditions.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.