Velocity Reviews

-   -   Megapixels clearly explained (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t251254-megapixels-clearly-explained.html)

George Preddy 01-21-2004 02:00 PM

Megapixels clearly explained

http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

Braindead Preddy 01-21-2004 02:04 PM

Re: Megapixels falsely explained

"George Preddy" <george_preddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bulu0g$olq$1@news1.kornet.net...
> http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

Colm 01-21-2004 02:57 PM

Re: Megapixels clearly explained

You bought the wrong camera. Get over it.

--
Colm

-Gene- 01-21-2004 02:59 PM

Re: Megapixels clearly explained

George, I'm definitely interested in the Foveon sensor and think
it, or its equivalent, will be in most digital cameras before long.
I see it as still in the development stage and I don't want one
until it's perfected.
Gene

Virgil Hilts 01-21-2004 03:19 PM

Re: Megapixels clearly explained

In that page, refers to a pixel (accepted definition) as:

"A color pixel is an information unit consisting of three components, most commonly a red, a green, and a blue value"

What happens when you use a colour model different from RGB (like CYMK or "32-bit colour")?

What's the "minimum accepted depth" (bits) for each component? (I mean, your can have
16-bit colour models (4 bits per component on a RGB-basis), 24-bit, 32-bit, etc.)

cb 01-21-2004 03:58 PM

Re: Megapixels clearly explained

I'm not sure which one he bought but the Sigma SD10 is a great camera for
the price, IMHO.

Colm 01-21-2004 04:26 PM

Re: Megapixels clearly explained

And that's a reasonable response to your purchase. I'm happy with my DSLR
too, but GP is so defensive about his that he can't possibly be happy with
it. He should just mark it down to experience.

--
Colm

Paul H. 01-21-2004 05:12 PM

Re: Megapixels clearly explained

"George Preddy" <george_preddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

Bah. The number of pixels is the number of dots comprising the picture,
regardless of stacked color planes. What's unclear about that?

George Preddy 01-22-2004 11:01 AM

"Virgil Hilts" <VirgilHiltsNoQuiereSpam@bufanderos.com> wrote in message
> In that page, refers to a pixel (accepted definition) as:
>
> "A color pixel is an information unit consisting of three components, most

commonly a red, a green, and a blue value"

> What happens when you use a colour model different from RGB (like CYMK or

"32-bit colour")?

Then it would take whatever the model needs to represent a full color,
presumably. If I use 1/10th spectrum sensors to cover the visible range,
then it takes 10. This seems common sensical.

But it's a red herring anyway, as both Bayer and Foveon use a 3 primary
color sensor model.

George Preddy 01-22-2004 11:04 AM

"Paul H." <xxpaulhtck@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:JpyPb.22204$zj7.3405@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...

> "George Preddy" <george_preddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

> Bah. The number of pixels is the number of dots comprising the picture,
> regardless of stacked color planes. What's unclear about that?

So 14M in the case of Foveon, which outputs 4536 x 3024 interpolated images?

(4 recorded output pixels per RGB triplet, same interpolation standard as a
Canon 10D's 6MP output file)