Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lexar Card Reader Drive Mappings conflict with Network Mappings (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t250802-lexar-card-reader-drive-mappings-conflict-with-network-mappings.html)

Eric 01-14-2004 05:57 PM

Lexar Card Reader Drive Mappings conflict with Network Mappings

I've got a Lexar USB 2.0 multi-card reader. When I plug it in it tries
to take over my first four available drive letters (F:, G:, H:, and
I:) even though they are mapped to the network.

The result it that the network mapped drive letters are disconnected,
and I don't even see the card reader drives.

If I unmap all four drive letters, the Lexar takes them.

These first four drives have to be mapped to the network for existing
software to work .

I thought the card reader would be flexible enough to figure out what
drive's are open. Is there any way around this other then moving my
four network drives up to J:, K:, L:, and M: to let the Lexar take
F-I?

Thanks,
Eric

Rich 01-14-2004 06:08 PM

Re: Lexar Card Reader Drive Mappings conflict with Network Mappings

right click my computer (win xp) ans select manage - the from within that
menu change the drive letters of the individual drives created by the
lexar - bob with then be your father's brother.

Rich
www.digitalmood.co.uk

news:bff806e9.0401140957.4494e32e@posting.google.c om...

Randall Ainsworth 01-15-2004 05:38 AM

Re: Lexar Card Reader Drive Mappings conflict with Network Mappings

Letters for drive designations - how quaint...

Robert Lynch 01-15-2004 09:09 AM

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> Letters for drive designations - how quaint...

Snide attitude - how helpful...

Helen Rapozo 01-15-2004 07:45 PM

Re: Lexar Card Reader Drive Mappings conflict with Network Mappings

"Eric" <epaetz41@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a Lexar USB 2.0 multi-card reader. When I plug it in it tries
> to take over my first four available drive letters (F:, G:, H:, and
> I:) even though they are mapped to the network.
>
> The result it that the network mapped drive letters are disconnected,
> and I don't even see the card reader drives.
>
> If I unmap all four drive letters, the Lexar takes them.
>
> These first four drives have to be mapped to the network for existing
> software to work .
>
> I thought the card reader would be flexible enough to figure out what
> drive's are open. Is there any way around this other then moving my
> four network drives up to J:, K:, L:, and M: to let the Lexar take
> F-I?

Since the Lexar is a USB device you can plug it anytime. So plug the
Lexar after the computer is fully started.

As to why it is doing this, in the grand scheme of things during startup
network drives are mapped kind of late in the startup process so if
your Lexar is plugged in during the startup process it takes the next
available drive letters which happens to be those network drives
you had before.

This solution should work unless your USB port is in a hard to reach
place.

Eric 01-16-2004 05:02 PM

Re: Lexar Card Reader Drive Mappings conflict with Network Mappings

The assigning of the Drive letters through Disk manager did the trick.
I looked there at one point but didn't look closely enough.

I wouldn't have thought you could assign permanent drive letters to
the removeable card and have them stick regardless of reboots and/or
unplugging.

Thank you for your help.