Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   shutter delay - what is going on in there? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t250541-shutter-delay-what-is-going-on-in-there.html)

Another Bob 01-09-2004 11:29 PM

shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 
My Coolpix 775, along with most other low-end(?) digital cameras I know
about, has an excruciating two-week delay between pressing the button and
getting around to taking the picture. That and the six-month delay in
starting up after power-on make this otherwise marvelous camera only
marginally useful for capturing rapidly changing events (kids, race cars,
fist fights, that kind of thing). Well, enough rating, what I want to know
is: "What is going on in there between the button pressing and the picture
taking?" Could some of you more technical folks help me out with an
explanation or maybe a link?


Marli 01-10-2004 12:15 AM

Re: shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 
Because of live preview, the camera has to close the shutter, get the CCD
ready, the take the photo. It takes time.



"Another Bob" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:dPGLb.9063$rS4.4715@newssvr25.news.prodigy.co m...
> My Coolpix 775, along with most other low-end(?) digital cameras I know
> about, has an excruciating two-week delay between pressing the button and
> getting around to taking the picture. That and the six-month delay in
> starting up after power-on make this otherwise marvelous camera only
> marginally useful for capturing rapidly changing events (kids, race cars,
> fist fights, that kind of thing). Well, enough rating, what I want to know
> is: "What is going on in there between the button pressing and the picture
> taking?" Could some of you more technical folks help me out with an
> explanation or maybe a link?
>




Ed Ruf 01-10-2004 12:22 AM

Re: shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:29:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Another Bob
<nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

>My Coolpix 775, along with most other low-end(?) digital cameras I know
>about, has an excruciating two-week delay between pressing the button and
>getting around to taking the picture. That and the six-month delay in
>starting up after power-on make this otherwise marvelous camera only
>marginally useful for capturing rapidly changing events (kids, race cars,
>fist fights, that kind of thing). Well, enough rating, what I want to know
>is: "What is going on in there between the button pressing and the picture
>taking?" Could some of you more technical folks help me out with an
>explanation or maybe a link?


Sounds like you are comparing to SLRs. If so you can not, two different
technologies. Non-slr digitals use the CCD for focus, exposure and white
balance and this sensor's inherent characteristics do not allow quick
transfer of this info. There ate things you can do to try and minimize
this. Set infinity focus, preset white balance, use manual exposure and
shutter speed settings.
__________________________________________________ ______
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (EGRuf@cox.net)
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Another Bob 01-10-2004 01:03 AM

Re: shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 
Ed Ruf wrote:

> Sounds like you are comparing to SLRs. If so you can not, two different
> technologies. Non-slr digitals use the CCD for focus, exposure and white
> balance and this sensor's inherent characteristics do not allow quick
> transfer of this info. There ate things you can do to try and minimize
> this. Set infinity focus, preset white balance, use manual exposure and
> shutter speed settings.


Indeed, I had not considered that the camera may actually be doing some
limited digital image processing after the button press and before it takes
the picture. I guess I would be somewhat amazed at how fast this is
happening, if waiting for it wasn't so annoying.

However, it occurs to me that since I usually use it in continuous-focus
mode (i.e. with the LCD monitor on), it might do these computations in
advance, at the expense of some battery consumption, maybe. The expensive
SLR digital cameras, like the Canon D10, for instance, don't seem to have
this problem.

I had been comparing it to film SLR cameras, which also do automatic
focusing and aperture and shutter control. Even my cheapie Vivitar 320Z
responds apparently instantly. Click- whirr- ready again, in a tenth of a
second or so, including mechanically advancing the film.

Howard McCollister 01-10-2004 01:47 AM

Re: shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 

"Another Bob" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:TbILb.9092$II5.30@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com. ..

> I had been comparing it to film SLR cameras, which also do automatic
> focusing and aperture and shutter control. Even my cheapie Vivitar 320Z
> responds apparently instantly. Click- whirr- ready again, in a tenth of a
> second or so, including mechanically advancing the film.


So do digital SLR's. Except for the "whirr" part...

HMc




Bill 01-10-2004 05:59 AM

Re: shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 
There are differences in the lag time between different makes and models.
Not all digital cameras have long startup times, either. There are a couple
of websites wich I have looked at that list startup times, shutter lag,
shot-to-shot recycle time and continuous shooting speed. I looked quickly
just now but can't find them, and I don't have time to look further tonight.
I'm sure a Yahoo! or Google search will find them.

I have a Fuji Finepix S602, and it's very fast in all the above areas. Maybe
because one design feature of their Super CCD is pixel coupling, which
allows very fast data transfer. It's also what allows this camera to take
movies at full VGA size (640x480) at 30 frames per second. No other digital
still camera can do that.

Bill

"Another Bob" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:dPGLb.9063$rS4.4715@newssvr25.news.prodigy.co m...
> My Coolpix 775, along with most other low-end(?) digital cameras I know
> about, has an excruciating two-week delay between pressing the button and
> getting around to taking the picture. That and the six-month delay in
> starting up after power-on make this otherwise marvelous camera only
> marginally useful for capturing rapidly changing events (kids, race cars,
> fist fights, that kind of thing). Well, enough rating, what I want to know
> is: "What is going on in there between the button pressing and the picture
> taking?" Could some of you more technical folks help me out with an
> explanation or maybe a link?
>




Azzz1588 01-10-2004 04:35 PM

Re: shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 
In article <oxMLb.26284$ti2.18332@lakeread03>, "Bill" <digitalbill@cox.net>
writes:

> It's also what allows this camera to take
>movies at full VGA size (640x480) at 30 frames per second. No other digital
>still camera can do that.
>



Olympus C 4040Z does it just fine thank you :)

Shame is, it only does it for 32 seconds with sound, and 36 seconds without.






















"Only a Gentleman can insult me, and a true Gentleman never will..."



Bill 01-11-2004 12:21 AM

Re: shutter delay - what is going on in there?
 
Well, unless both Steve's Digicams and www.preview.com are both wrong, then
it doesn't. According to both sites, the C4040 can only do movies at QVGA
(320x240) or smaller size (160x120). Furthermore, they say it will only do
this at 15 frames per second.

Bill

"Azzz1588" <azzz1588@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040110113543.01893.00002520@mb-m22.aol.com...
> In article <oxMLb.26284$ti2.18332@lakeread03>, "Bill"

<digitalbill@cox.net>
> writes:
>
> > It's also what allows this camera to take
> >movies at full VGA size (640x480) at 30 frames per second. No other

digital
> >still camera can do that.
> >

>
>
> Olympus C 4040Z does it just fine thank you :)
>
> Shame is, it only does it for 32 seconds with sound, and 36 seconds

without.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Only a Gentleman can insult me, and a true Gentleman never will..."
>
>





All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.