Velocity Reviews

-   -   Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t250275-digital-slr-wanted-any-recommendations.html)

grubby cherub 01-05-2004 03:22 PM

Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations?

Hello,

I need some objective shopping advice and thought you might be the
best people to provide it.

Some background to explain my tastes/needs:

Years ago I was addicted to my second-hand Olympus OM10 - a basic SLR,
nice and light in the hand, lots of manual functions for maximum
control. I was a student back then and had plenty of time to mess
about in the darkroom.

Now I have less time on my hands, no easy darkroom access, and a job
that gives me wall-to-wall access to the net - so I've gone digital.
My three-year-old Canon Digital Ixus is small and convenient, and I
love spending an afternoon editing the pics on the PC after a day's
snapping.

However I'm looking for a camera that combines the control and picture
quality of my old film camera with the financial advantages of digital
photography (ie no film... I'm quite a hyperactive snapper). So I'm
considering splashing serious money on a good digital SLR.

I'm looking for something with excellent picture quality - principally
a depth of field that rivals film (is this possible?) and a flash that
doesn't flatten everything in its sights (that's perhaps the most
annoying thing about my Ixus). I hate that my current digital pictures
look so *flat*.

Any ideas? I'd like to spend less than 1,000, but I realise you tend
to get what you pay for.

All advice gratefully welcomed.

cheers,
Jane

Chris Brown 01-05-2004 03:39 PM

Re: Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations?

In article <147a541c.0401050722.3992bf2b@posting.google.com >,
grubby cherub <janeh260@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm looking for something with excellent picture quality - principally
>a depth of field that rivals film (is this possible?) and a flash that
>doesn't flatten everything in its sights (that's perhaps the most
>annoying thing about my Ixus). I hate that my current digital pictures
>look so *flat*.
>
>Any ideas? I'd like to spend less than 1,000, but I realise you tend
>to get what you pay for.

Canon EOS 300D - can be had for 850ish with the kit lens, and gives picture
quality that you aren't going to seriously better without spending stupid
money.

The Black Sheep 01-05-2004 08:42 PM

"grubby cherub" <janeh260@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:147a541c.0401050722.3992bf2b@posting.google.c om...
> Hello,
>
> I need some objective shopping advice and thought you might be the
> best people to provide it.

I would suggest the Canon 300D (Digital Rebel in the US, Kiss Digital
in Japan) with the kit lens. You'll have everything you need for
photography and can build your camera system from there. I have one,
don't regret the purchase at all. It is a fairly solid polycarbonate
shell on a metal frame, very light, and ergonomic.

Nikon is expected to announce a similar entry-level DSLR soon, so if
you're not in a hurry and want to consider an alternative you may want
to way and see if they make any announcements on that.

Jim Waggener 01-05-2004 10:57 PM

Re: Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations?

"grubby cherub" <janeh260@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:147a541c.0401050722.3992bf2b@posting.google.c om...
> Hello,
>
> I need some objective shopping advice and thought you might be the
> best people to provide it.

If your purchase can wait a couple of months the PMA show will be held
mid-February. That is when the new camera's will roll out. I'm going to wait
till then. Meanwhile I shoot film and scan.

grubby cherub 01-08-2004 11:03 AM

Re: Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations?

Thanks for the advice. It's tempting to splash out on a Canon EOS 5000
now, but having read some varied reports on this board I've decided to
wait a couple of months to see what else rolls out.

Arthur Small 01-08-2004 07:37 PM

Re: Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations?

If you wait a couple of months you will see news of new cameras coming in a
couple of months and in a couple of months.....

AA Bob 01-09-2004 01:15 AM

Re: Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations?

If you have to ask, then the Canon Digital Rebel (300D) is for you.