Velocity Reviews

-   -   Monitor for photo editing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t250083-monitor-for-photo-editing.html)

aa.woods.excess@comcast.net 01-02-2004 11:01 PM

Monitor for photo editing

Just when I finally have all the equipment ready my monitor
(viewsonic PT775) is starting to go. I am looking for
recommendations for a 17 to19 inch monitor that is good for photo
editing and is available in the US. I do not want to pay much
over $600 US.

From the research I have done so far, the Eizo FlexScan T566
looks promising. However, I would have to order this on faith,
since it is not carried in the stores. Does anyone have
experience with this monitor?

I tried the NEC FE991SB and am bringing it back. I was not happy
with the say it rendered colors. I tried making endless
adjustments in the software that came with my video card and was
unable to get satisfactory results. The monitor seems to be
designed to run at a gamut setting of 2.2 and does not react well
to lowering that. I could not find a setting that would give me a
reasonably close tint across the light spectrum.
--
Allan
Remove ".excess" from address for direct replies.

Jim Waggener 01-02-2004 11:19 PM

Re: Monitor for photo editing

<aa.> I tried the NEC FE991SB and am bringing it back. I was not happy
> with the say it rendered colors. I tried making endless
> adjustments in the software that came with my video card and was
> unable to get satisfactory results. The monitor seems to be
> designed to run at a gamut setting of 2.2 and does not react well
> to lowering that. I could not find a setting that would give me a
> reasonably close tint across the light spectrum.
> --
> Allan
> Remove ".excess" from address for direct replies.

The ViewSonics get good reviews Allan. Check out that line

LauraK 01-02-2004 11:27 PM

Re: Monitor for photo editing

>Just when I finally have all the equipment ready my monitor
>(viewsonic PT775) is starting to go. I am looking for
>recommendations for a 17 to19 inch monitor that is good for photo
>editing and is available in the US. I do not want to pay much
>over $600 US.

Are you sure it's the monitor? Make sure the video card is in tight and also
check the cord. I've had a P775 I bought refurbished 4 years ago and gave it
heavy use. I thought it was dying last but turned out the cord had deteriorated
where it was bending against the desktop.
I went ahead and got another refurb Viewsonic anyway (a 21 inch) and now run a
two-monitor setup with a Viewsonic G810 that I also bought refurbed from
Viewsonic.
I don't like the flat monitors with the wires.
http://store.viewsonic.com/html/ibeC...=11746&site=VS
_OUTLET&respid=22372

laurak@madmousergraphics.com
http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Flycaster 01-02-2004 11:38 PM

<aa.woods.excess@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1msbvvg75jc8jbsrefoujrqvuce55au8vg@netnews.co mcast.net...
> Just when I finally have all the equipment ready my monitor
> (viewsonic PT775) is starting to go. I am looking for
> recommendations for a 17 to19 inch monitor that is good for photo
> editing and is available in the US. I do not want to pay much
> over $600 US.

For photo editing, a 19" is the minimum size I'd recommend for a CRT.

> From the research I have done so far, the Eizo FlexScan T566
> looks promising. However, I would have to order this on faith,
> since it is not carried in the stores. Does anyone have
> experience with this monitor?

Way too expensiive for a 17" monitor. Try Mitsubishi, Illyama, and LaCie.

> I tried the NEC FE991SB and am bringing it back. I was not happy
> with the say it rendered colors.

Actually, those are pretty decent monitors once they're adjusted correctly
and profiled. Without calibration and profiling, you don't have a clue what
it will *really* do. Most monitors come from the factory with white points
of 9500K, briightness set to 100%, and with the blue and green guns turned
up way too high. This makes 'em look brighter and sharper in the store,
and, frankly, most folks could give a crap about "color accuracy" anyway.

>I tried making endless
> adjustments in the software that came with my video card and was
> unable to get satisfactory results.

You should be calibrating and profiling the monitor with something designed
to do that, not by playing with your Video card driver. Either use a
hardware package (such as one made by Colorvision or Gretag Macbeth), or by
using Adobe Gamma, which comes free with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

>The monitor seems to be
> designed to run at a gamut setting of 2.2 and does not react well
> to lowering that. I could not find a setting that would give me a
> reasonably close tint across the light spectrum.

ALL modern CRT's have a native gamma of close to 2.2. Even on Mac systems,
most pros who output to photoprinters calibrate to D65 (a white point of
6500K), and a gamma of 2.2 because of this, plus they tend to work in color
spaces such as AdobeRGB98 and sRGB, which likewise have a native gamma of
2.2.

Nonetheless, your comment about "tint" reveals your *real* problem: you need
a calibration and profiling package, along with image manipulation software
that uses color management.

aa.woods.excess@comcast.net 01-03-2004 01:18 AM

Flycaster wrote:
><aa.woods.excess@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:1msbvvg75jc8jbsrefoujrqvuce55au8vg@netnews.c omcast.net...

<snip>
>> From the research I have done so far, the Eizo FlexScan T566
>> looks promising. However, I would have to order this on faith,
>> since it is not carried in the stores. Does anyone have
>> experience with this monitor?

>Way too expensiive for a 17" monitor. Try Mitsubishi, Illyama, and LaCie.

I don't consider $430 that bad if it will do the job. I would try
the other brands if I could actually see one in action.

>> I tried the NEC FE991SB and am bringing it back. I was not happy
>> with the say it rendered colors.

>Actually, those are pretty decent monitors once they're adjusted correctly
>and profiled. Without calibration and profiling, you don't have a clue what
>it will *really* do. Most monitors come from the factory with white points
>of 9500K, briightness set to 100%, and with the blue and green guns turned
>up way too high. This makes 'em look brighter and sharper in the store,
>and, frankly, most folks could give a crap about "color accuracy" anyway.

I realize that. I adjusted these things. I found it curious that
6500K was not even one of the presets. I set it manually. I put
brightness way down. The color profiler indicated that a 30%
setting would be best. However, I fiddled with settings even
lower than that.
>>I tried making endless
>> adjustments in the software that came with my video card and was
>> unable to get satisfactory results.

>You should be calibrating and profiling the monitor with something designed
>to do that, not by playing with your Video card driver. Either use a
>hardware package (such as one made by Colorvision or Gretag Macbeth), or by
>using Adobe Gamma, which comes free with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

The software I used is the color profiler that came with my
Matrox card. At least with my old monitor, I found that it worked
better than Adobe Gamma.

>>The monitor seems to be
>> designed to run at a gamut setting of 2.2 and does not react well
>> to lowering that. I could not find a setting that would give me a
>> reasonably close tint across the light spectrum.

>ALL modern CRT's have a native gamma of close to 2.2. Even on Mac systems,
>most pros who output to photoprinters calibrate to D65 (a white point of
>6500K), and a gamma of 2.2 because of this, plus they tend to work in color
>spaces such as AdobeRGB98 and sRGB, which likewise have a native gamma of
>2.2.

One of the attractions of the Eizo is that it allows gamma
adjustments. I find that adjusting the gamma on the display
allows me to get a screen image which is closer to the printed
photo.

>Nonetheless, your comment about "tint" reveals your *real* problem: you need
>a calibration and profiling package, along with image manipulation software
>that uses color management.

My profiling software and image manipulation software work just
fine with the PT775. The color management in Photoshop 7 and
Corel 11 isn't all that bad.

aa.woods.excess@comcast.net 01-03-2004 01:28 AM

LauraK wrote:

>>Just when I finally have all the equipment ready my monitor
>>(viewsonic PT775) is starting to go. I am looking for
>>recommendations for a 17 to19 inch monitor that is good for photo
>>editing and is available in the US. I do not want to pay much
>>over $600 US.

>Are you sure it's the monitor? Make sure the video card is in tight and also
>check the cord. I've had a P775 I bought refurbished 4 years ago and gave it
>heavy use. I thought it was dying last but turned out the cord had deteriorated
>where it was bending against the desktop.
>I went ahead and got another refurb Viewsonic anyway (a 21 inch) and now run a
>two-monitor setup with a Viewsonic G810 that I also bought refurbed from
>Viewsonic.

The monitor loses power entirely. I think its the power supply
going out. If I unplug the monitor for 10 minutes, it works fine
again. Sometimes it goes a few days between failures. As far as I
can tell, the problem comes up most often when I turn the monitor
back on when it is still warm (which happens when I hit the power
switch thinking that it is off when its just powered off by
windows).

I take it you are happy with the G810? I've had better luck with
the Ps. a local store has a P220FB which I am thinking about
trying even though it is larger than I would like.

Allan

Ron Hunter 01-03-2004 01:54 AM

Re: Monitor for photo editing

aa.woods.excess@comcast.net wrote:

> Just when I finally have all the equipment ready my monitor
> (viewsonic PT775) is starting to go. I am looking for
> recommendations for a 17 to19 inch monitor that is good for photo
> editing and is available in the US. I do not want to pay much
> over $600 US.
>
> From the research I have done so far, the Eizo FlexScan T566
> looks promising. However, I would have to order this on faith,
> since it is not carried in the stores. Does anyone have
> experience with this monitor?
>
> I tried the NEC FE991SB and am bringing it back. I was not happy
> with the say it rendered colors. I tried making endless
> adjustments in the software that came with my video card and was
> unable to get satisfactory results. The monitor seems to be
> designed to run at a gamut setting of 2.2 and does not react well
> to lowering that. I could not find a setting that would give me a
> reasonably close tint across the light spectrum.

I am using a Viewsonic F70+ and it is the sharpest, clearest, and most
color accurate monitor I have ever used (and I have been in IT for 40
years). I haven't seen anything close, let alone better. You might
check out this monitor and its big brother the F90+. You will save some
money.

aa.woods.excess@comcast.net 01-03-2004 04:37 AM

Ron Hunter wrote:

>I am using a Viewsonic F70+ and it is the sharpest, clearest, and most
>color accurate monitor I have ever used (and I have been in IT for 40
>years). I haven't seen anything close, let alone better. You might
>check out this monitor and its big brother the F90+. You will save some
>money.

Viewsonic hasn't used the F designation for a while, at least in
the US. I wander whether these would be the same as the P70F and
P90F. Those monitors sound like they are targeted at the same
market as my old PT775 (which is so old it doesn't even show up
on their web site as an old model).

Rafe B. 01-03-2004 05:18 AM

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:01:51 GMT, aa.woods.excess@comcast.net wrote:

>Just when I finally have all the equipment ready my monitor
>(viewsonic PT775) is starting to go. I am looking for
>recommendations for a 17 to19 inch monitor that is good for photo
>editing and is available in the US. I do not want to pay much
>over $600 US.

I've been using that exact model for about five years
now and have yet to see a sharper or brighter screen
at any size. Couple years back I bought a Viewsonic
P95F and was quite disappointed, even more so by
Viewsonic's service. So while I *love* the PT775 that
I'm using at this moment, I doubt I will buy another one.

I've been using Dell Trinitron monitors at work for quite
some time and they are quite decent.

One of the problems of buying CRTs sight-unseen is
that they are bulky and heavy as hell. If it goes bad
and wasn't bought locally, it's a major schlep boxing
it up and getting it shipped back to the store or the
manufacturer's repair site.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Ron Hunter 01-03-2004 09:29 AM

Re: Monitor for photo editing

aa.woods.excess@comcast.net wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>

>>I am using a Viewsonic F70+ and it is the sharpest, clearest, and most
>>color accurate monitor I have ever used (and I have been in IT for 40
>>years). I haven't seen anything close, let alone better. You might
>>check out this monitor and its big brother the F90+. You will save some
>>money.

> Viewsonic hasn't used the F designation for a while, at least in
> the US. I wander whether these would be the same as the P70F and
> P90F. Those monitors sound like they are targeted at the same
> market as my old PT775 (which is so old it doesn't even show up
> on their web site as an old model).

The monitors are available at CompUSA and Office Depot, to name just two
places. I assume they are current models as mine is only a year old.