Velocity Reviews

-   -   People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249958-people-with-both-pocket-digital-cameras-and-bigger-digital-cameras.html)

zxcvar 01-01-2004 03:04 AM

People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras

Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
pocketable camera.

What is your experience? Just curious.

With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

GLC1173 01-01-2004 03:33 AM

Re: People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras

ZXCVAR wrote:
>What is your experience? Just curious.

I use the Optio S - which I always have with me - for "incidental" photos,
and the Sony DSC-D770 quasi-SLR for when I know I'll be taking photos. The
Sony I also use for eBay photos, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, nationwide weather
<I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>

Rafe B. 01-01-2004 04:07 AM

Re: People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras

On 31 Dec 2003 19:04:40 -0800, arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu (zxcvar)
wrote:

>Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
>lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
>found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
>Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
>cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
>pocketable camera.
>
>What is your experience? Just curious.

My Canon G2 comes with me on backpacking trips
or if I'm in a mood to travel light. It's also the camera
of choice for casual snapshots, family, parties, etc.

If I'm on a more serious photo outing, and not away
from the car for more than a few hours, I'll take along
the 10D... and probably my Pentax 645 also.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Phil 01-01-2004 04:16 AM

GLC1173 wrote:

> ZXCVAR wrote:
>
>>What is your experience? Just curious.

> I use the Optio S - which I always have with me - for "incidental" photos,
> and the Sony DSC-D770 quasi-SLR for when I know I'll be taking photos. The
> Sony I also use for eBay photos, etc.

Mine are:

o Oly D-520 for pocket/hiking use (2 mp, $150 or so new these days)
o Oly C-2100UZ (10x IS) for almost any use
o Canon 300D for serious use

Phil

Mark Johnson 01-01-2004 05:15 AM

Re: People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras

arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu (zxcvar) wrote:

>Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
>lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
>found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
>Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
>cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
>pocketable camera.
>
>What is your experience? Just curious.
>
>With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

The shirt-pocket cams can produce excellent results, even at 1-3MP.
But it's for the difficult, or detailed shots, that you'd appreciated
a lot more, and a RAW file. But the small pocket cams can produce very
good results, and sometimes without the noise or certain other
problems of larger CCDs, or the expense of dSLRs.

JoeG 01-01-2004 07:35 AM

zxcvar wrote:
> Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
> lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
> found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
> Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
> cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
> pocketable camera.
>
> What is your experience? Just curious.
>
> With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

Same here -- I bought an Oly 3040Z a few years back -- bought my
daughter a small Fuji and I ended up using it more than my Oly, so I my
kids and family bought me a Casio Exlim. I luv this little camera, as I
can take it everywhere.

Ron Hunter 01-01-2004 11:43 AM

zxcvar wrote:

> Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
> lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
> found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
> Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
> cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
> pocketable camera.
>
> What is your experience? Just curious.
>
> With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

Well, if you have the camera, you can take pictures. If you don't have
it, you can't. Where's the mystery?

Bobby 01-01-2004 11:43 AM

Re: People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras

I use a (very small) Pentax Optio camera and I'm delighted with it. I carry
it in my briefcase at all times - and I use it on the most unpredictable
occasions.

Obviously if you have the cash then you should buy a high quality small
camera and a high quality large camera - but if you have to choose then go
for the small one. There's no point in having one large camera if it's too
much hassle to carry around. After all, a (slightly) inferior picture is
better than no picture at all.

Go for the small one. You'll make much more use of it.

Bobby

news:f0e5a6c.0312311904.7ba57fe@posting.google.com ...

Davidmystery 01-01-2004 05:08 PM

Re: People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras

Film camera in my pocket: either an Olympus Stylus Epic or a Ricoh GR-1.

Digital camera in my pocket: Nikon Coolpix 885 or a Kodak DC4800, depending
on whether I want wide-angle capability.

I don't own a digital SLR. What's the point? Film SLRs are infinitely more
versatile, less expensive, don't quit when the battery dies, and give me 10+
MP images on the film of my choice.

- David K. (USA)

Jerome Bigge 01-01-2004 08:41 PM

Re: People with both pocket digital cameras & bigger digital cameras

On 31 Dec 2003 19:04:40 -0800, arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu (zxcvar) wrote:

>Greetings! I used to have two film cameras - one SLR with different
>lenses and a pocketable Stylus with 35 mm f2.8 lens non-zoom camera. I
>found that I used to take more pictures with pocketable camera as
>Olympus camera was always with me. Now I have moved to digital
>cameras. I have two cameras.I seem to be doing the same with digital
>pocketable camera.
>
>What is your experience? Just curious.
>
>With thanks. Have a happy new 2004.

My Sony DSC-U10 gets more use than my
Canon A60 or my Kodak CX6200 for just
this reason...

Jerome Bigge
Member, Muskegon Astronomical Society
Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"