Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sandisk Firewire no faster than Lexar Jumpshot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249653-sandisk-firewire-no-faster-than-lexar-jumpshot.html)

Si 12-27-2003 06:13 PM

Sandisk Firewire no faster than Lexar Jumpshot

I've just transferred 60 images from my D30 from a Lexar 128MB 12x Card to
my 2400+ Athlon PC via a brand new Sandisk Imagemate Firewire Reader.

It took a little over a minute. The same files via Lexar jumpshot took
almost exactly the same amount of time....

What gives?

Si.

y_p_w 12-27-2003 08:25 PM

Re: Sandisk Firewire no faster than Lexar Jumpshot

Si wrote:

> I've just transferred 60 images from my D30 from a Lexar 128MB 12x Card to
> my 2400+ Athlon PC via a brand new Sandisk Imagemate Firewire Reader.
>
> It took a little over a minute. The same files via Lexar jumpshot took
> almost exactly the same amount of time....
>
> What gives?

I'm assuming the Lexar card reader is a standard USB (1.1) device.

In that case, the card speed may be the limiting factor, and
the Firewire speed advantage may be minimal.

Povl H. Pedersen 12-27-2003 08:50 PM

On 2003-12-27, Si <simon@nospam.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just transferred 60 images from my D30 from a Lexar 128MB 12x Card to
> my 2400+ Athlon PC via a brand new Sandisk Imagemate Firewire Reader.
>
> It took a little over a minute. The same files via Lexar jumpshot took
> almost exactly the same amount of time....
>
> What gives?

USB and USB 2.0 are attempts from Intel to make more money,
not to deliver superior technology.

In most cases 400 Mb/s FireWire is vastly superior to 480 Mb/s
USB 2.0.

But since USB is cheaper, it might win :( Just like there are sold
more sub-$100 4Mpixel digicams than digicams that gives a good
picture.

Si 12-28-2003 12:07 AM

"Povl H. Pedersen" <nospam@home.terminal.dk> wrote in message
> On 2003-12-27, Si <simon@nospam.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've just transferred 60 images from my D30 from a Lexar 128MB 12x Card

> > my 2400+ Athlon PC via a brand new Sandisk Imagemate Firewire Reader.
> >
> > It took a little over a minute. The same files via Lexar jumpshot took
> > almost exactly the same amount of time....
> >
> > What gives?

> USB and USB 2.0 are attempts from Intel to make more money,
> not to deliver superior technology.
>
> In most cases 400 Mb/s FireWire is vastly superior to 480 Mb/s
> USB 2.0.
>
> But since USB is cheaper, it might win :( Just like there are sold
> more sub-$100 4Mpixel digicams than digicams that gives a good
> picture.

What does this have to do with my question?

The new Firewire reader performed at exactly the same speed as my Lexar USB
1.1 card reader...it was certainly no faster.

So, I'm assuming that the lack of speed increase is in fact down to the
speed of the card - sadly.

Si

Si 12-28-2003 12:08 AM

"y_p_w" <y_p_w@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:wUlHb.8275$lo3.4511@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

> Si wrote:
>
> > I've just transferred 60 images from my D30 from a Lexar 128MB 12x Card

> > my 2400+ Athlon PC via a brand new Sandisk Imagemate Firewire Reader.
> >
> > It took a little over a minute. The same files via Lexar jumpshot took
> > almost exactly the same amount of time....
> >
> > What gives?

> I'm assuming the Lexar card reader is a standard USB (1.1) device.
>
> In that case, the card speed may be the limiting factor, and
> the Firewire speed advantage may be minimal.

Yes, the Lexar Jumpshot is indeed only USB 1.1 (so I believe) and so you may
be right in that it's the speed of the card that is the limiting factor.

Sadly.

Si.

Si 12-28-2003 01:37 AM

Re: Sandisk Firewire no faster than Lexar Jumpshot

"y_p_w" <y_p_w@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:wUlHb.8275$lo3.4511@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

> Si wrote:
>
> > I've just transferred 60 images from my D30 from a Lexar 128MB 12x Card

> > my 2400+ Athlon PC via a brand new Sandisk Imagemate Firewire Reader.
> >
> > It took a little over a minute. The same files via Lexar jumpshot took
> > almost exactly the same amount of time....
> >
> > What gives?

> I'm assuming the Lexar card reader is a standard USB (1.1) device.
>
> In that case, the card speed may be the limiting factor, and
> the Firewire speed advantage may be minimal.

Aha,

I've just performed an experiment with 56MB of .jpg images.

Downloading via the Win XP camera and scanner wizard took 1 minute and 36
seconds with the jumpshot 1.1 reader.

Downloading the same files with XP's camera and scanner wizard and the
Sandisk FW reader took 1 minute and 8 seconds.

However, opening up the folder containing the images and dragging them to a
new folder on the desktop with the Sandisk reader took - wait for it....

16 seconds!

It seems that the problem lies with the camera and scanner wizard.

Si.