Velocity Reviews

-   -   Red eye reduction question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249504-red-eye-reduction-question.html)

clutch@lycos.com 12-25-2003 12:46 PM

Red eye reduction question

I have a cheapy Sony DSC P32 and when I turn on red eye reduction, it
seems to work but the pre flashing stuff adds a delay to capturing
many pictures so the cure is worse than the problem.

What are common methods of dealing with red eye post capture? The
only graphics program I have at this time is GIMP.

I'd like to grab some candid pics this after noon with the family so
I'm hoping someone has a plan for dealing with red eye.

Tia,

Wes
--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

HRosita 12-25-2003 12:57 PM

Re: Red eye reduction question

Hi Wes,

One tip that a professional photographer gave me was to have the subject look
just a little to the left or to the right of the camera lens. I tell the people
that I photograph to look at my ear. That helps alot.

I would invest in Photoshops Elements 2.
It is an excellent program and can be found with rebates or online. It has a
special brush for editing red-eye but also other option. There are also quite a
few tutorials online.

Speaking of tutorials, maybe a Google search for tutorials for Gimp might
result in a solution.
Rosita

Joseph Meehan 12-25-2003 03:06 PM

Re: Red eye reduction question

PreFlash is only one method of reducing red eye at the time of the
exposure. First anything that will get light to the subjects eyes will
help. Having them look away from the camera also helps.

Having them look to the side at a light or window can be very helpful.

I don't know GIMP so I don't know its abilities. However most Graphic
programs seem to have some sort of red eye feature. Some are better than
others. While they all help, none are really better than correction at the
source. Of course there are times that correction at the time of the
exposure is not always an option.

Merry Christmas

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Don Stauffer 12-25-2003 03:54 PM

Re: Red eye reduction question

If your software doesn't have an automatic red eye removal it is not
hard to do if the software allows region selection and color correction
by hue, saturation, and brightness.

Blow up face with zoom/magnifier. Use a circular selection to select
one pupil. Select ONLY the pupil, not the surrounding iris. Now adjust
saturation to zero (-100% in some software). This technique saves
highlights. Now do other pupil.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
stauffer@usfamily.net

Phil 12-25-2003 04:24 PM

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 07:46:58 -0500, clutch@lycos.com wrote:

>I have a cheapy Sony DSC P32 and when I turn on red eye reduction, it
>seems to work but the pre flashing stuff adds a delay to capturing
>many pictures so the cure is worse than the problem.
>
>What are common methods of dealing with red eye post capture? The
>only graphics program I have at this time is GIMP.
>
>I'd like to grab some candid pics this after noon with the family so
>I'm hoping someone has a plan for dealing with red eye.
>
>Tia,
>
>Wes

One of the problems in dealing with redeye is that the condition takes
many forms, sometimes involving just the pupil of the eye, and
sometimes appearing to involve the whole iris. And sometimes it's not
red. That's why I doubt that many of these canned utilities & plugins
can deal effectively with all cases.

I usually just grab the ellipical marquee and select the red area,
then desaturate moderately and darken to suit. If desired you can
preserve the eye highlights by adjusting curves or levels for
darkening.

Jim Townsend 12-25-2003 05:29 PM

clutch@lycos.com wrote:

> I have a cheapy Sony DSC P32 and when I turn on red eye reduction, it
> seems to work but the pre flashing stuff adds a delay to capturing
> many pictures so the cure is worse than the problem.
>
> What are common methods of dealing with red eye post capture? The
> only graphics program I have at this time is GIMP.
>
> I'd like to grab some candid pics this after noon with the family so
> I'm hoping someone has a plan for dealing with red eye.

With the GIMP, you can remove redeye with the clone tool.

Zoom in on the pupil to 400% or more.. (until the eye fills the screen).

Use the clone tool to select the non-red part of they eye and clone out the red
area. You'll have to adjust the brush size. It's not as easy as having a
canned redeye removal tool, but with a bit of practice, you can get it to
work.

Carver33 12-25-2003 07:35 PM

Re: Red eye reduction question

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 07:46:58 -0500, clutch@lycos.com wrote:

>I have a cheapy Sony DSC P32 and when I turn on red eye reduction, it
>seems to work but the pre flashing stuff adds a delay to capturing
>many pictures so the cure is worse than the problem.
>
>What are common methods of dealing with red eye post capture? The
>only graphics program I have at this time is GIMP.
>
>I'd like to grab some candid pics this after noon with the family so
>I'm hoping someone has a plan for dealing with red eye.
>
>Tia,
>
>Wes

Try Photo-Brush at: http://www.mediachance.com/pbrush/

Has a nice red eye reduction brush. I believe you can download a free
trial and the purchase price is extremely reasonable for the features
(< $50.00)

HTH
Bill