Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249302-tamron-vs-sigma-17-35mm.html)

Onepercentf 12-21-2003 04:35 PM

Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm

I am looking to buy either the new Tamron DI 17-35mm or the Sigman EX 17-35mm
lens for use on both Canon 10D and EOS 3 bodies. Which would you recommend?
(By the way, I can't afford the Canon lenses!) Many thanks for experiences,
opinions, and links to comparison tests. regards, David

NJH 12-21-2003 04:55 PM

Re: Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm

I have the Sigma EX 17-35 in the Maxxum mount and it's excellent. (Just like
you with Canon lenses, I couldn't afford the Minolta 17-35.) No experience
with that Tamron lens.

Neil

Paolo Pizzi 12-22-2003 06:14 AM

Re: Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm

Onepercentf wrote:

> I am looking to buy either the new Tamron DI 17-35mm or the
> Sigman EX 17-35mm lens for use on both Canon 10D and EOS
> 3 bodies.

Spend an extra $100 and get the Sigma 15-30EX.
Much better lens, a lot more useful than the two you
mentioned for your digital body, where it becomes the
rough 35mm equivalent of a 22-45.

Argon3 12-22-2003 01:51 PM

Re: Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm

Was at a camera store a couple of weeks ago and the Sigma rep was there with a
12-25 f2.8.....brand new...just lettin' ya know.....

argon

George Preddy 12-22-2003 03:11 PM

Re: Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm

"Onepercentf" <onepercentf@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to buy either the new Tamron DI 17-35mm or the Sigman EX

17-35mm
> lens for use on both Canon 10D and EOS 3 bodies. Which would you

recommend?
> (By the way, I can't afford the Canon lenses!) Many thanks for

experiences,
> opinions, and links to comparison tests. regards, David

Get the Sigma 15-30EX. It is head and shoulders above both the lenses your
are considering.

Kenny 12-22-2003 07:26 PM

Re: Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm

"Onepercentf" <onepercentf@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to buy either the new Tamron DI 17-35mm or the Sigman EX

17-35mm
> lens for use on both Canon 10D and EOS 3 bodies.

Neither. The 17-35 is not a good lens. The Sigma 15-30 on the other hand
is only slightly more expensive and ten times better.

Kenny

Paolo Pizzi 12-23-2003 12:29 AM

Re: Tamron vs. Sigma 17-35mm

Argon3 wrote:

> Was at a camera store a couple of weeks ago and the Sigma rep was
> there with a 12-25 f2.8.....brand new...just lettin' ya know.....

You mean the new 12-24. Yeah, I know that. It was copied
from the Nikkor 12-24DX but it's not nearly as good. Big
vignetting problem, lots of flare etc., too expensive for what
is really worth. The 15-30EX costs half of that and it's optically
better.