Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249293-sorry-sorry-sorry-but-what-camera-for-me-real-esate.html)

Phil 12-21-2003 10:01 AM

Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate

I feel so guilty asking this as it is asked so many times. But I have been
looking very very hard over recent weeks and am more confused than when I
first started. Here's my specific needs.

I visit 3/4 properties per week
I need to take between 6 and 12 shots covering building, gardens, street
scene and internals.
Internal shots a bit of a problem needing as wide an angle as possible.
Other problem with internal is that some of the rooms seem to have very
little light, small windows and dark carpets drapes and furniture thereby
soaking the light from my current flash.
External can sometimes be a problem as I would need to take from a distance
IE across the river so optical zoom 4x + needed.
I can only go once so have to accept whatever lighting conditions on that
day.
Nearly all on being sold on a 'strictly confidential' basis so I haven't
time to fiddle with settings - I just have to zip round very quickly and
without neighbours being aware.
I don't mind some fiddling on software but haven't time to become more than
amateur and rely on auto settings.
The camera must get in my briefcase (quite big but not for SLR) as I do not
want to have to carry a separate bag otherwise I will look conspicuous
The printed end product is A4 four sides all colour. Largest photo 19 cm
wide but most of others 10 cms max.
It seems that whatever camera I get will be an improvement on my Kodak 280
which as been serving me very well but it looks the biggest compromise will
be losing its 30mm wider angle lens.

If you guys can help I would be glad.

Phil

HRosita 12-21-2003 10:48 AM

Re: Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate

Hi,

Check out the Minolta A1.
28-200 zoom (7x). good for wide angle and long shots.
Anti shake technology so you can get decent indoor pictures with the wide
angle.

5 MP for cropping unwanted objects.
and for large prints.

Cost is a bit high, around $760 - $850.

Good luck
Rosita

stan@temple.edu 12-21-2003 02:16 PM

Phil <reply to group> wrote:
> Nearly all on being sold on a 'strictly confidential' basis so I haven't
> time to fiddle with settings - I just have to zip round very quickly and
> without neighbours being aware.
> I don't mind some fiddling on software but haven't time to become more than
> amateur and rely on auto settings.
> The camera must get in my briefcase (quite big but not for SLR) as I do not
> want to have to carry a separate bag otherwise I will look conspicuous
> The printed end product is A4 four sides all colour. Largest photo 19 cm
> wide but most of others 10 cms max.
> It seems that whatever camera I get will be an improvement on my Kodak 280
> which as been serving me very well but it looks the biggest compromise will
> be losing its 30mm wider angle lens.

> If you guys can help I would be glad.

Buy any of the major brand cameras that fits in your pocket and that has
a 4x optical zoom. You should be fine. Your needs are modest. This decision
is not worth stewing about. Just go to a decent camera store that has a
wide selection of cameras and make your selection based on the model that
has the features you want, fits in your budget, and feels best in your hands.
All of the major digi camera companies offer products that would meet your
needs, such as Canon, Casio, Pentax, Minolta, Nikon, and so on.

Bob Hatch 12-21-2003 03:54 PM

<stan@temple.edu> wrote in message news:bs49ve$r61$1@cronkite.temple.edu...

> Buy any of the major brand cameras that fits in your pocket and that has
> a 4x optical zoom. You should be fine. Your needs are modest. This

decision
> is not worth stewing about. Just go to a decent camera store that has a
> wide selection of cameras and make your selection based on the model that
> has the features you want, fits in your budget, and feels best in your

hands.
> All of the major digi camera companies offer products that would meet your
> needs, such as Canon, Casio, Pentax, Minolta, Nikon, and so on.

What Stan said, then add to that:

A tripod for the low light situations and a stitching program. With those
two additions you can do everything you want to do.
--
"Secular nations have one thing in common -- mass graves, and
the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter

LauraK 12-21-2003 04:36 PM

Re: Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate

Get one of the Oly's with the 1.8 lens. Makes a major difference in low light
shots.
The 5050 should serve your purposes very well.

laurak@madmousergraphics.com
http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Steven M. Scharf 12-21-2003 04:47 PM

"Phil" <reply to group> wrote in message
news:3fe56fcb$0$11218$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk.. .
> I feel so guilty asking this as it is asked so many times. But I have been
> looking very very hard over recent weeks and am more confused than when I
> first started. Here's my specific needs.
>
> I visit 3/4 properties per week
> I need to take between 6 and 12 shots covering building, gardens, street
> scene and internals.
> Internal shots a bit of a problem needing as wide an angle as possible.
> Other problem with internal is that some of the rooms seem to have very
> little light, small windows and dark carpets drapes and furniture thereby
> soaking the light from my current flash.

Get the Canon G5 with an external flash attachment, and wide angle lens
attachment.
You don't want to mess with stitching.
You don't want to mess with tripods.

Whatever you get, you'll need a better flash than what's on there.

Doc 12-21-2003 05:08 PM

Re: Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate

"Phil" <reply to group> wrote in message
news:3fe56fcb$0$11218$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk.. .

> I can only go once so have to accept whatever lighting conditions on that
> day.

> Nearly all on being sold on a 'strictly confidential' basis so I haven't
> time to fiddle with settings - I just have to zip round very quickly and
> without neighbours being aware.

> The camera must get in my briefcase (quite big but not for SLR) as I do

not
> want to have to carry a separate bag otherwise I will look conspicuous

> Phil

Sorry Phil but this whoe thing sounds fishy to me.

You're getting a listing for real estate-- with a median US home price in
the $150,000 range, you're looking at a total commission of on average
$10,500. And you can't be bothered going back for a second shoot?

Real estate sales are public events. They're listed in the book of deeds at
the local court house-- and what difference can the neighbors' knowing make?
So you need a Carry Concealed permit for you camera?

Come on guy-- what's really going on?

Doc

Phil 12-21-2003 06:05 PM

"Doc" <chashamilton99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cskFb.7457$wL6.4219@newsread1.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> "Phil" <reply to group> wrote in message
> news:3fe56fcb$0$11218$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk.. .
>
> > I can only go once so have to accept whatever lighting conditions on

that
> > day.

> > Nearly all on being sold on a 'strictly confidential' basis so I haven't
> > time to fiddle with settings - I just have to zip round very quickly and
> > without neighbours being aware.

> > The camera must get in my briefcase (quite big but not for SLR) as I do

> not
> > want to have to carry a separate bag otherwise I will look conspicuous

> > Phil

> Sorry Phil but this whoe thing sounds fishy to me.
>
> You're getting a listing for real estate-- with a median US home price in
> the $150,000 range, you're looking at a total commission of on average
> $10,500. And you can't be bothered going back for a second shoot?
>
> Real estate sales are public events. They're listed in the book of deeds

at
> the local court house-- and what difference can the neighbors' knowing

make?
> So you need a Carry Concealed permit for you camera?
>
> Come on guy-- what's really going on?
>
> Doc

It is real estate including a business - home and income - often with staff,
customers, suppliers, to who I am passed off as the man from the tourist
board, web design company, bank or similar. When theproperty is five hours
round trip is it not practical to pop back. Anyway my reasons are legitimate
and I was asking advice on a camera and have no wish to be told how to run
my business if you don't mind.

Phil

default name 12-21-2003 07:52 PM

Re: Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate

Probably some sort of collection agency looking to recover on judgments
etc., Had one of those asking here last week wanting help recovering a boat!

JK 12-22-2003 03:31 AM

Re: Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate

Buy a Digital Rebel slr, an f2.8 zoom lens, and a larger briefcase!