Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help with this picture... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249267-help-with-this-picture.html)

Michael 12-20-2003 07:54 PM

Help with this picture...

I took a picture today. Set my camera to landscape mode for the hell of it
to see what would happen. I need help with why the sky looks terrible, or
better yet, why the sky didn't even come out right at all? The color was
gray and kind of dark...and in the picture it's bright white but nothing is
displayed. What kind of balance is needed to pick up the sky also. Overcast,
not sunny??

http://www.photopiks.com/nosky.jpg

Jim Waggener 12-20-2003 08:13 PM

Re: Help with this picture...

"Michael" <betterthanthis@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> I took a picture today. Set my camera to landscape mode for the hell of it
> to see what would happen. I need help with why the sky looks terrible, or
> better yet, why the sky didn't even come out right at all? The color was
> gray and kind of dark...and in the picture it's bright white but nothing

is
> displayed. What kind of balance is needed to pick up the sky also.

Overcast,
> not sunny??
>
> http://www.photopiks.com/nosky.jpg

Maybe a polarizer. The rest of it looks well exposed. Do you have a
cloudy/overcast setting?

Bill 12-20-2003 08:26 PM

Re: Help with this picture...

Possibly the large darker area (foregroud left trees) caused some
overexposure of the sky. You might try setting exposure compensation to a
slight negative (-) value. It might help if you said what camera you used,
and what type of metering you used.

Bill

> I took a picture today. Set my camera to landscape mode for the hell of it
> to see what would happen. I need help with why the sky looks terrible, or
> better yet, why the sky didn't even come out right at all? The color was
> gray and kind of dark...and in the picture it's bright white but nothing

is
> displayed. What kind of balance is needed to pick up the sky also.

Overcast,
> not sunny??
>
> http://www.photopiks.com/nosky.jpg

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Nils Rostedt 12-20-2003 08:36 PM

Re: Help with this picture...

Michael wrote ...
> I took a picture today. Set my camera to landscape mode for the hell of it
> to see what would happen. I need help with why the sky looks terrible, or
> better yet, why the sky didn't even come out right at all? The color was
> gray and kind of dark...and in the picture it's bright white but nothing

is
> displayed. What kind of balance is needed to pick up the sky also.

Overcast,
> not sunny??
>
> http://www.photopiks.com/nosky.jpg

It's slightly overexposed. Look at the image histogram in Photoshop or
whatever image editor you use.

Overcast weather can be a tough lighting condition for digicams. Their
dynamic range is not as good as traditional print film. The camera evidently
tried to expose for the dark areas, leaving the sky overexposed.

The solution would be to set the camera to a mode where you can dial in some
exposure compensation. On my Canon 10D, I use -1/2 stop exposure
compensation as my default (using "P" or program mode) to avoid overexposing
the sky. Check the image histogram to get it right. Changing your color
balance from "sunny" to "overcast" will alter the color tone somewhat, but
not the exposure AFAIK.

Do some experimenting with various exposure compensations and other mode
settings, it costs nothing.

I played a little with that image in Photoshop. By first reducing the
overall brightness and then boosting the darker tones with the Curves tool,
I was able to make the sky a natural-looking grey and even could retrieve
some cloud structures.

HRosita 12-20-2003 08:39 PM

Re: Help with this picture...

Hi,

the camera tries to average the amount of light to let in. I assume that
because of the dark pines, the sky got overexposed.
If you have Adobe Elements or a similar editing program use the magic want to
select the sky, go to Enhance and use the Adjust Brightness/Contrast sliders
to darken the sky.
Rosita

Greg Campbell 12-21-2003 06:04 AM

Re: Help with this picture...

Michael wrote:

> I took a picture today. Set my camera to landscape mode for the hell of it
> to see what would happen. I need help with why the sky looks terrible, or
> better yet, why the sky didn't even come out right at all? The color was
> gray and kind of dark...and in the picture it's bright white but nothing is
> displayed. What kind of balance is needed to pick up the sky also.
>
> http://www.photopiks.com/nosky.jpg

Color balance won't help you here. The sky is simply over-exposed and
"blown out." At this level of exposure, the pixels/sensors (or
circuitry that converts sensor data to digital data) are nearly saturated.

To compensate, you could have reduced the overall exposure by about one
stop. This would have preserved more sky detail, but would have pushed
the trees at lower left, and some of the shadow areas, to near-black.

In short, your camera (any camera of any sort) has limited dynamic
range. The trick is to shoehorn all the important subjects into that
limited zone.

-Greg

Michael 12-21-2003 06:38 AM

Re: Help with this picture...

Damn, so in other words no matter what took this shot, it would have been
almost impossible to get the sky just right and the appropriate shadows
around the trees? I don't think the camera adjusts for certain areas on the
sensor...maybe photo editing is necessary with some shots then....

stacey 12-21-2003 07:30 AM

Re: Help with this picture...

Michael wrote:

> I took a picture today. Set my camera to landscape mode for the hell of it
> to see what would happen. I need help with why the sky looks terrible, or
> better yet, why the sky didn't even come out right at all?

What about the purple color fringing around the limbs?

As to what you noticed, it's about a stop overexposed but might be hard to
capture this dynamic range on your digicam?

--

Stacey

Michael 12-21-2003 02:42 PM

Re: Help with this picture...

Even at 4:1 blown up I can't see what you mean. The overexposed sky and at
the same time shadow in/near the trees is a hard picture to capture just
right. Make the sky look good, then you wouldn't even be able to see some
trees probably cause it will be too dark.

Mark Herring 12-21-2003 03:02 PM

Re: Help with this picture...

Take it twice at two different exposures. About an hour--or less with
Photoshop to put the sky from one into the foreground from the other.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:42:19 -0500, "Michael"
<betterthanthis@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Even at 4:1 blown up I can't see what you mean. The overexposed sky and at
>the same time shadow in/near the trees is a hard picture to capture just
>right. Make the sky look good, then you wouldn't even be able to see some
>trees probably cause it will be too dark.
>
>"stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Michael wrote:
>>
>> > I took a picture today. Set my camera to landscape mode for the hell of

>it
>> > to see what would happen. I need help with why the sky looks terrible,

>or
>> > better yet, why the sky didn't even come out right at all?

>> What about the purple color fringing around the limbs?
>>
>> As to what you noticed, it's about a stop overexposed but might be hard to
>> capture this dynamic range on your digicam?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Stacey

>http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
>---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".