Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sony f828 What is the story? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249228-sony-f828-what-is-the-story.html)

The Spectre 12-19-2003 11:03 PM

Sony f828 What is the story?

OK, looking for ne camera and have been waiting patiently on the Sony f828
reviews to come in and so far there are have only been a few actual ones
posted on web. There is as usual a lot of speculation some positive and some
negative so what is the real deal on this camera anyone actualy have one
yet?

David J. Littleboy 12-19-2003 11:52 PM

Re: Sony f828 What is the story?

"The Spectre" <TSpectre@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> OK, looking for ne camera and have been waiting patiently on the Sony f828
> reviews to come in and so far there are have only been a few actual ones
> posted on web. There is as usual a lot of speculation some positive and

some
> negative so what is the real deal on this camera anyone actualy have one
> yet?

FWIW (not much), the adds in this month's Japanese camera magazines (that
hit the stands yesterday) say "kinjitsuhatsubai" which means "on sale any
day now".

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

R. Radloff 12-20-2003 12:11 AM

Re: Sony f828 What is the story?

Hi !

"The Spectre" <TSpectre@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>OK, looking for ne camera and have been waiting patiently on the Sony f828
>reviews to come in and so far there are have only been a few actual ones

The first cameras have been delivered this week in Germany and Austria.

The buyers don't seem to be very glad with their purchase. Several owners are
disgusted as can be read in the german digital-camera-nwsgroupgroup.

(blooming and so on)

Hopefully the lot for USA will be better ...

CUL

Ray

Annika1980 12-20-2003 12:28 AM

Re: Sony f828 What is the story?

>From: "David J. Littleboy" davidjl@gol.com

>FWIW (not much), the adds in this month's Japanese camera magazines (that
>hit the stands yesterday) say "kinjitsuhatsubai" which means "on sale any
>day now".

What's Japanese for "Vaporware?"

bmoag 12-20-2003 12:51 AM

Re: Sony f828 What is the story?

Cameras are dribbling out in the US. Sony is promising shipment from their
web store before the end of December, most stores are quoting mid-January,
at a lower price than Sony is quoting. Unfortunatley much of what you read
in newsgroups, and this one is too often very typical, represent opinions
that have a value somewhere between drivel and dog manure. I have little
doubt that this is going to be a very good camera but like like all cameras
will have some technical limits that will be meaningful for some users and
meaningless for most. It has been entertaining to read postings on this
newsgroup bashing this camera having never seen it, used it, or read
legitimate third party technical analyses of production units.

Bob Niland 12-20-2003 01:16 AM

Re: Sony f828 What is the story?

> The Spectre <TSpectre@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> ... so what is the real deal on this camera ...

We did not get day-and-date publication of
detailed technical reviews. Some reviewers
have yet to receive their hand-tweaked test
cameras. Read into this what you will.

End user deliveries began about a week ago.
What we know is largely coming from their
early reports and tests, few of which are
really useful.

Sony has been dead silent - not so much as
a press release that the Dark Angst is now
shipping. They did have a press release that
their android now has the trots.

Canon did have a press release about the F828,
we think :-)

What we've learned:

* Front element moves during zoom (which is
manual). This means that heavy accessory
lenses are not a servo problem, but may
still be a structural problem, or an optical
problem on this new Z* lens.

* High speed CF cards (e.g. CF-II) are excluded
from VGA Fine/30fps video mode, even though
the much slower MicroDrives are allowed to
work. Sony still wants to sell Memory Stick,
it would appear.

* Software to decode RAW mode is included from
Sony, even if no one else supplies it yet.

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

Seymore 12-20-2003 05:15 AM

Re: Sony f828 What is the story?

Here are a few URL of 828 PICs.

http://www.a-digital-eye.com/SonyF828.html

http://www.a-digital-eye.com/F828Disney2.html

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so.../gallery.shtml

steve 12-20-2003 06:46 AM

Re: Sony f828 What is the story?

Is it just me or does there appear to be quite a lot of noise in the sky
in this 828 picture?

I don't mean to bag on the camera, I dont know how my 10d would have
performed taking the exact same photo at the same time....

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...w/DSC02545.JPG

steve

David J. Littleboy 12-20-2003 07:35 AM

"steve" <doesnotexist@bitbucket.invalid> wrote:

> Is it just me or does there appear to be quite a lot of noise in the sky
> in this 828 picture?

> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...w/DSC02545.JPG

It doesn't look too bad to me. A tad soft*, maybe, but it sharpens up
nicely, even with a threshold of zero. It takes a lot more sharpening than I
would use to make the sky noise obnoxious on an A4 print. Sharpened (100%,
r=0.6) and printed at 8x10.7, it looks quite good. The only problem is a
lack of detail in the statue at the lower center.

This is better than what I was expecting.

*: Although it's clearly already been sharpened somewhat.

> I don't mean to bag on the camera, I dont know how my 10d would have
> performed taking the exact same photo at the same time....

I'm sure it's a lot noisier than the 10D at ISO 100, but it's also more
pixels. It's real nice to be able to print at 300 dpi; the detail has real
snap and three-dimensionality to it.

The F828 vs. 300D is a lot harder to call than I was expecting. (High ISO
noise, slow AF, excessive DOF, no fast lenses remain as problems: it's an
ISO 100 outdoor camera. But it's an 8x10 at 300 dpi outdoor camera.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Paolo Pizzi 12-21-2003 01:46 AM

steve wrote:

> Is it just me or does there appear to be quite a lot of noise in the
> sky in this 828 picture?

Not to mention the horrible CA and the purple fringes.

I didn't know Sony put a Foveon sensor in the 828... ;-)))))