Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   If money IS an object... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249157-if-money-is-an-object.html)

normanstrong 12-18-2003 06:23 PM

If money IS an object...
 
What digital SLR would you recommend?

The Lumix FZ10 fascinates me. I'd like to have sufficient resolution
to routinely print 11 x 14 prints that look as good as ones made from
35mm film. If that proves too expensive, I'd settle for 8 1/2 x 11,
with a very skinny border.

Of course the next question is: How much memory will it need?

And the next: What software does one need to edit and 'fix' problems
with the end result.

As you can tell, I have no experience with digital photography, but
loads of experience with film photography, both in 35mm and 6x6cm
sizes. What I really would like is your recommendation of the best
primer on digital photography for people like me who need only info
related to the difference between digital and film.

Thanks,

Norm Strong




Jim Townsend 12-18-2003 06:44 PM

Re: If money IS an object...
 
normanstrong wrote:

> What digital SLR would you recommend?
>
> The Lumix FZ10 fascinates me.


This camera isn't an SLR.. You aren't looking through the lens in the same
manner. There is no mirror.

The Lumix FZ10 does look through the lens, but it uses an electronic
viewfinder... (A mini LCD screen in the eyepiece).

Not a bad camera though.. 12X optical zoom and it's reported to have almost no
shutter lag..




Angel 12-18-2003 08:13 PM

Re: If money IS an object...
 
Is that what 'SLR' is about?- you look through the lens as opposed to a view
finder or LCD? (complete photo novice here!).

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
news:vu3t68admoap19@news.supernews.com...
> normanstrong wrote:
>
> > What digital SLR would you recommend?
> >
> > The Lumix FZ10 fascinates me.

>
> This camera isn't an SLR.. You aren't looking through the lens in the

same
> manner. There is no mirror.
>
> The Lumix FZ10 does look through the lens, but it uses an electronic
> viewfinder... (A mini LCD screen in the eyepiece).
>
> Not a bad camera though.. 12X optical zoom and it's reported to have

almost no
> shutter lag..
>
>
>




David J Taylor 12-18-2003 09:04 PM

Re: If money IS an object...
 
"normanstrong" <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:VgmEb.594917$Fm2.545791@attbi_s04...
> What digital SLR would you recommend?


I wouldn't. Nikon 5700 or Minolta A1 offer far better value for money.

David



Juan R. Pollo 12-18-2003 09:33 PM

Re: If money IS an object...
 

"Angel" <Angel@SpamLand.Com> wrote in message
news:zPnEb.639$Ec6.445979@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...
> Is that what 'SLR' is about?- you look through the lens as opposed to a

view
> finder or LCD? (complete photo novice here!).


Single Lens Reflex, been around since the '40s, I guess. As opposed to twin
lens reflex (box cameras).

Juan



Jim Townsend 12-18-2003 11:29 PM

Re: If money IS an object...
 
Angel wrote:

> Is that what 'SLR' is about?- you look through the lens as opposed to a view
> finder or LCD? (complete photo novice here!).


SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex.. The reflex being a mirror that is used to
direct the image from the focal plane of the camera up to the eyepiece
viewfinder instead. The mirror flips out of the way when the shot is taken.
Hence the term reflex.

Just about *all* digicameras display what's going through the lens on an LCD,
but they aren't SLR's.

Most SLR's *can't* display the image electronically on an LCD since the mirror
blocks the sensor.

Here's a link to a better explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera



> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> news:vu3t68admoap19@news.supernews.com...
>> normanstrong wrote:
>>
>> > What digital SLR would you recommend?
>> >
>> > The Lumix FZ10 fascinates me.

>>
>> This camera isn't an SLR.. You aren't looking through the lens in the

> same
>> manner. There is no mirror.
>>
>> The Lumix FZ10 does look through the lens, but it uses an electronic
>> viewfinder... (A mini LCD screen in the eyepiece).
>>
>> Not a bad camera though.. 12X optical zoom and it's reported to have

> almost no
>> shutter lag..
>>
>>
>>



Christian 12-19-2003 02:34 AM

Re: If money IS an object...
 
David J Taylor wrote:

> "normanstrong" <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:VgmEb.594917$Fm2.545791@attbi_s04...
>> What digital SLR would you recommend?

>
> I wouldn't. Nikon 5700 or Minolta A1 offer far better value for money.


Both of these aren't DSLRs though.

Christian 12-19-2003 02:36 AM

Re: If money IS an object...
 
normanstrong wrote:

> What digital SLR would you recommend?


If you really want a DSLR then the EOS 300D is the best value for money.
You're looking at approximately twice as much (including lenses) to go up
to a 10D. If you already have lenses for Nikon or Canon then go with this
system, Nikon have a 300D competitor coming (or so they say).

PhotoMan 12-19-2003 03:58 AM

Re: If money IS an object...
 

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
news:vu4ds198hb76b@news.supernews.com...
> Angel wrote:
>
> > Is that what 'SLR' is about?- you look through the lens as opposed to a

view
> > finder or LCD? (complete photo novice here!).

>
> SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex.. The reflex being a mirror that is

used to
> direct the image from the focal plane of the camera up to the eyepiece
> viewfinder instead. The mirror flips out of the way when the shot is

taken.
> Hence the term reflex.


Actually, the image is reflected before it reaches the focal
plane...........
Joe Arnold



Rodney Myrvaagnes 12-19-2003 06:23 AM

Re: If money IS an object...
 
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:33:29 GMT, "Juan R. Pollo"
<jrpollo@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>
>"Angel" <Angel@SpamLand.Com> wrote in message
>news:zPnEb.639$Ec6.445979@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...
>> Is that what 'SLR' is about?- you look through the lens as opposed to a

>view
>> finder or LCD? (complete photo novice here!).

>
>Single Lens Reflex, been around since the '40s, I guess. As opposed to twin
>lens reflex (box cameras).
>
>Juan
>

Since before 1910, IIRC. Graflex made SLRs long before they made the
Speed Graphic. They made them in sizes from 6X9 cm. to 8 x 10 inches.

No pentaprism. You looked down at the ground glass through a tall
leather hood.



Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a


"In this house we _obey_ the laws of thermodynamics." --Homer Simpson


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.