Velocity Reviews

-   -   About to lose my photos- help! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t249061-about-to-lose-my-photos-help.html)

MC 12-17-2003 06:34 AM

About to lose my photos- help!

This really has to do more with windows than digital cameras I
suppose.. I needed my digital cam for a vacation. I grabbed the SD
memory card out of my PDA since it had room on it (it is a Toshiba
Pocket PC). I wasn't sure if I would have to format it- I put it in
and it worked fine. I took a bunch of pics. The pictures are on the
camera and can be viewed with no problems. When I connected to my PC
(win xp) with thte USB cable, and explore the drive, it contains
gibirish file names consisting of all these directories and files with
name that contain mostly squares. I can't even copy the files to my
PC to play with them- I get a cannot read from source file error. I
tried putting the card in my PocketPC and reading it and it shows up
the same. Obviously the pictures are on the card if the camera can
read them. The question is how do I get them onto my PC?

Ken Weitzel 12-17-2003 07:14 AM

Re: About to lose my photos- help!

Hi MC

Just a thought... can't possibly hurt, and just might save
your holiday pictures.

Why don't you create a temporary directory on your
c: drive; call it something foolish, like maybe
test or something...

You already know (hopefully) what the drive name of your
usb removable drive is; let's pretend it's j: like mine is.

So, open a dos window. Copy :\*.* c:\test

Now you *might* have an extra copy of what's on the
card on your hard drive to play around with.

So, close the dos window, start windows explorer,
go into the test directory, and try renaming the files
from the gibberish you see now to reasonable names.
You know whether you took .jpg's or .tif's or whatever.
So if .jpg for instance, rename the first 1.jpg; the
second 2.jpg and so on.

Then see if you can open them and look at them.

No guarantees, just a thought. Hope it helps.
Good luck.

Take care.

Ken

Marius 12-17-2003 09:16 AM

Re: About to lose my photos- help!

There isn't any risk when you try to recover the data with a recovery tool.

1. Download PC Inspector Smart Recovery (freeware) at www.pcinspector.de
2. Connect a cardreader to your PC
3. Put the memorycard in the reader
4. Install and start the program
5. Look at the results

When this procedure doesn't work, try PC Inspector File Recovery .
I hope you're succesfull!

Marius

Giorgis 12-17-2003 11:11 AM

Re: About to lose my photos- help!

If you can see them via the camera but you cannot see them with your card
reader.
How about you connect the camera to the PC, and no use the card reader. You
may be able to get the pictures. Sometimes the cameras assume something
about a file structure, and put the pictures in the device through a hack
for speed.

But the file structure is not complete for a generic card reader.

Good luck

news:289a46d0.0312162234.778571f8@posting.google.c om...

Glenn Gundlach 12-17-2003 05:10 PM

michaeljc70@hotmail.com (MC) wrote in message news:<289a46d0.0312162234.778571f8@posting.google. com>...
> This really has to do more with windows than digital cameras I
> suppose.. I needed my digital cam for a vacation. I grabbed the SD
> memory card out of my PDA since it had room on it (it is a Toshiba
> Pocket PC). I wasn't sure if I would have to format it- I put it in
> and it worked fine. I took a bunch of pics. The pictures are on the
> camera and can be viewed with no problems. When I connected to my PC
> (win xp) with thte USB cable, and explore the drive, it contains
> gibirish file names consisting of all these directories and files with
> name that contain mostly squares. I can't even copy the files to my
> PC to play with them- I get a cannot read from source file error. I
> tried putting the card in my PocketPC and reading it and it shows up
> the same. Obviously the pictures are on the card if the camera can
> read them. The question is how do I get them onto my PC?

Have you looked into Photo Rescue? It recovered all of my pix. Here's a link.
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

GG