Velocity Reviews

-   -   Epson printers and lightfastness measurements (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t248986-epson-printers-and-lightfastness-measurements.html)

Mike 12-15-2003 10:07 PM

Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

I was on the Epson site looking at printers and thinking about getting
myself a 1290 for Christmas, when I saw their lightfastness
measurements. What I can't figure out - why would the 2100 produce
photos that can last 75 years, while the 1290 can only produce photos
that last 20? This is using the same paper.

Do they only sell their better inks in the cartriges for the 2100? Is
the 2100 magically better at producing a long-life image? Is this just
marketing FUD? I'm a bit perplexed. Any ideas?

cheers,
Mike

Steve Young 12-15-2003 10:50 PM

Re: Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

> "Mike" <michael.owen@hushmail.com> wrote
> I was on the Epson site looking at printers and thinking about getting
> myself a 1290 for Christmas, when I saw their lightfastness
> measurements. What I can't figure out - why would the 2100 produce
> photos that can last 75 years, while the 1290 can only produce photos
> that last 20? This is using the same paper.
>
> Do they only sell their better inks in the cartriges for the 2100? Is
> the 2100 magically better at producing a long-life image?

> Is this just marketing FUD? I'm a bit perplexed. Any ideas?

No, in this case, it's the difference between a dye based ink of the 1290 and
pigment based inks of the 2100/2200. 2 very different chemistries.

Joseph Meehan 12-16-2003 02:20 AM

Re: Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

Life depends on the ink and the paper. The two work as a team. Putting
the ink on the paper takes a printer and the printer has to be designed to
work with the ink. The pigment and dye inks take different methods to be
put on the paper. They might be able to make a printer that will work well
with both, but don't expect to be able to just change inks and get a good
product.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

news:567f0a34.0312151407.73820bcc@posting.google.c om...

Bill Hilton 12-16-2003 03:55 AM

Re: Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

>From: michael.owen@hushmail.com (Mike)

>I was on the Epson site looking at printers and thinking about getting
>myself a 1290 for Christmas, when I saw their lightfastness
>measurements. What I can't figure out - why would the 2100 produce
>photos that can last 75 years, while the 1290 can only produce photos
>that last 20?

Pigment inks for the 2200/2100, dye inks for the 1290.

Tony Spadaro 12-16-2003 04:38 AM

Re: Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

Different inks.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Mike 12-16-2003 09:23 PM

"Tony Spadaro" <tspadaro@ncmaps.rr.com> wrote in message news:<W_vDb.154188$I53.6282483@twister.southeast.r r.com>...
> Different inks.
>
> --
> http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
> home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Thanks for all the posts that pointed out that only the 2100 uses the
pigment inks that are so good for long life prints. Is the Epson 2100
the only printer in it's price range that uses these sorts of inks?

cheers,
Mike

Ted Johnson 12-16-2003 11:31 PM

Re: Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

Sort of <G>! It is the only photoquality printer that uses the Ultrachrome
pigment inks currently available. In fact, the C80, 82, 84 series also used
similar pigmented inks but only has the matt black ink available so it is
only suitable for matt papers.

However, Epson has a new model coming out in about 60 days (the R800) which
uses the same inks and will be much cheaper (it only has an 8.5" carriage,
though). You might check out some previews of the R800 which are being
bandied about on the Internet "as we speak"...

Regards,
<TED>

news:567f0a34.0312161323.45b474b1@posting.google.c om...

Scroobie 12-17-2003 12:26 AM

On 15 Dec 2003 14:07:51 -0800, michael.owen@hushmail.com (Mike) wrote:

>I was on the Epson site looking at printers and thinking about getting
>myself a 1290 for Christmas, when I saw their lightfastness
>measurements. What I can't figure out - why would the 2100 produce
>photos that can last 75 years, while the 1290 can only produce photos
>that last 20? This is using the same paper.
>
>Do they only sell their better inks in the cartriges for the 2100? Is
>the 2100 magically better at producing a long-life image? Is this just
>marketing FUD? I'm a bit perplexed. Any ideas?
>
>cheers,
>Mike

Analine dyes have always been regarded as fugitive to some degree,
often a function of the particular hue. Dyes are solutions, and so
are homogeneous and not prone to settle. Pigment inks such as are
used in many modern printers such as the Epson 2100/2200 and a few
others are quite different by nature, and are generally regarded as
having greater permanence -- again, the ability to resist fading can
be a function of the particular pigments used, but most pigments are
relatively lightfast. On that basis, the most permanent pigment
around would have to be Epson's matte black that appears to be little
more than carbon black and a small amount of binder. Since they are
not solutions, most pigment inks have the unwanted characteristic of
settling, and this causes the various Epson inks (and presumably
others) to have relatively short shelf lives. It's amazing to
consider that pigments could be ground finely enough to pass through
micron-size nozzles.

Mark Herring 12-17-2003 04:06 AM

On 16 Dec 2003 13:23:41 -0800, michael.owen@hushmail.com (Mike) wrote:

>"Tony Spadaro" <tspadaro@ncmaps.rr.com> wrote in message news:<W_vDb.154188$I53.6282483@twister.southeast.r r.com>...
>> Different inks.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
>> home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

>Thanks for all the posts that pointed out that only the 2100 uses the
>pigment inks that are so good for long life prints. Is the Epson 2100
>the only printer in it's price range that uses these sorts of inks?
>
>cheers,
>Mike

You can get 3rd party archival (pigment) ink from a variety of
sources. eg MIS (www.inksupply.com), Medistreet, Lyson, and more

Google search will find others
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Canopus 12-18-2003 07:52 PM

Re: Epson printers and lightfastness measurements

"Tony Spadaro" <tspadaro@ncmaps.rr.com> wrote in message
news:W_vDb.154188$I53.6282483@twister.southeast.rr .com...
> Different inks.
>
> --

Excuse me if I sound ignorant, but, if it's just a matter of different inks
then why can't we get cartridges with the good inks in for other Epson
printers? For instance, I have the Photo 830 and I would have thought it
would be possible to have a cartridge which fits it with the good, long
lasting ink in. Do these long lasting inks also need a different, more
expensive paper and does this different paper only fit printers that can use
these high quality inks?

Rob