Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon 10D astrophotograhy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t248916-canon-10d-astrophotograhy.html)

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com 12-14-2003 09:23 PM

Canon 10D astrophotograhy

My recent, basically trivial, experiments with the Moon as a subject
convinced me there is merit with the idea. So I tried a few star
shots -- 10-30 seconds is about the most I could do with a fixed
mount. M45 came out surprisingly good (9th magnitude+ stars showing
up), as did the double cluster in Perseus. But could a lowly, Bayer'd
CMOS sensor compete with colour-filtered, full-on, cooled CCD etc
imagery?

http://www.starrywonders.com/dso.html

Humanity doesn't deserve this.

There are also reports in the Japanese astro-press about modified
versions of the Canon 300D/Digital Rebel are available that make it
even _better_ suited in the astro realm.

Rob Davison 12-14-2003 10:56 PM

Re: Canon 10D astrophotograhy

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com wrote:
> My recent, basically trivial, experiments with the Moon as a subject
> convinced me there is merit with the idea. So I tried a few star
> shots -- 10-30 seconds is about the most I could do with a fixed
> mount. M45 came out surprisingly good (9th magnitude+ stars showing
> up), as did the double cluster in Perseus. But could a lowly, Bayer'd
> CMOS sensor compete with colour-filtered, full-on, cooled CCD etc
> imagery?
>
> http://www.starrywonders.com/dso.html

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you for sharing your work.

> There are also reports in the Japanese astro-press about modified
> versions of the Canon 300D/Digital Rebel are available that make it
> even _better_ suited in the astro realm.

What sort of modifications?

Angel 12-14-2003 11:33 PM

Re: Canon 10D astrophotograhy

How on earth (pun not intended) are these shots taken? Is the 10D a normal
'digital camera' or has it been linked up somehow to a telescope? These are
superb shots, but I can't see this stuff being possible unless you spend a
few bob on some really decent kit
news:d3c57e81.0312141323.47d6517b@posting.google.c om...

PhotoMan 12-14-2003 11:49 PM

Re: Canon 10D astrophotograhy

One word: STUNNING !
Joe Arnold

JC 12-15-2003 12:23 AM

Re: Canon 10D astrophotograhy

Looks like he used a 90 mm telescope. Really nice photos!

Ethan Trewhitt 12-15-2003 12:46 AM

According to JC <driver8@myself.com>:
> Looks like he used a 90 mm telescope. Really nice photos!

Not quite ... it's an LX90, which is a yummy-looking 8" scope.

--
eth'nT
http://www.hydrous.net

Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) 12-15-2003 02:50 AM

Ethan Trewhitt wrote:

> According to JC <driver8@myself.com>:
> > Looks like he used a 90 mm telescope. Really nice photos!

> Not quite ... it's an LX90, which is a yummy-looking 8" scope.

The post was deceptive. If you click on M45 and see the details,
it was with a 90 mm f/4.5 (405 mm focal length) telescope, and
12 exposures of 5 minutes each, for a total of 60 minutes
at iso 800, not the 10 to 30 seconds cited by the poster.

To do this, you needs a very good tracking mount and second
telescope to correct for drifts. He apparently used an
8-inch telescope with an approximately $2000 guiding
camera+computer. This is no easy thing to do and
the guy does absolutely stunning work. Images were processed
in 16-bit with a software package called imagesplus.
There is a lot of investment here, both dollars, time, and
skill, NOT 10-30 seconds on a fixed mount.
The email address of this site of Steve Cannistra is different
than the poster, so it may not be the same person.

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com wrote:
> My recent, basically trivial, experiments with the Moon as a subject
> convinced me there is merit with the idea. So I tried a few star
> shots -- 10-30 seconds is about the most I could do with a fixed
> mount. M45 came out surprisingly good (9th magnitude+ stars showing
> up), as did the double cluster in Perseus. But could a lowly, Bayer'd
> CMOS sensor compete with colour-filtered, full-on, cooled CCD etc
> imagery?

> http://www.starrywonders.com/dso.html

Here are my attempts at astro with the 10D, D60 and film (not
as good as steve's, but I'm still learning):

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...y.astrophoto-1

The Canon 10D does very well at low light imaging, better than
equivalent speed film for high speed film in comparison. Here are my
tests on optimizing signal to noise (assuming you co-add multiple
images to produce a given total exposure time):

http://clarkvision.com/astro/canon-10d-signal-to-noise

Roger Clark
Home page photography, digital info:
http://clarkvision.com

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com 12-15-2003 04:56 PM

Rob Davison <rdavison@xxttrraa.ccoo.nnzz> wrote:

> Thank you for sharing your work.

Yikes! I thought my lead-in made it clear ("fixed mount", "10-30
seconds", etc), but that isn't my work...

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com 12-15-2003 05:22 PM

Re: Canon 10D astrophotograhy

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <rnclark@qwest.net>
wrote:

> The post was deceptive.

Certainly not by intent ... I didn't think anyone could believe there
was any "10-30 second" component to any of those images, let alone a
"fixed mount". Further, I thought it clear those images were not the
"trivial experiments" I conducted. In any event, my most profound
apologies for any confusion!

> The email address of this site of Steve Cannistra is different
> than the poster, so it may not be the same person.

If only I could claim I was Steve Cannistra...

> To do this, you needs a very good tracking mount and second
> telescope to correct for drifts.

Even relatively cheap mounts given a good alignment can self-guide for
the short exposures (5 minutes), no high-end precision mounts and CCD
autoguiders required (though they certainly don't hurt). (Those
guiders, by the way, being originally created for astro work going
onto film -- where hours of continual exposure are needed for deep
work). The rest of the job -- image registration, accumulation, etc
-- can be done in the computer.

> http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...y.astrophoto-1

Cannistra's, and now your, website have forced my hand: Orders have
been Placed.

> http://clarkvision.com/astro/canon-10d-signal-to-noise

Extremely useful data. Many thanks!

Rob Davison 12-15-2003 07:52 PM

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com wrote:

> Rob Davison <rdavison@xxttrraa.ccoo.nnzz> wrote:
>

>>Thank you for sharing your work.

> Yikes! I thought my lead-in made it clear ("fixed mount", "10-30
> seconds", etc), but that isn't my work...

Gah. I'll google 'reading comprehension 101'

:-)