Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t248906-fuji-s602z-6-or-3-m.html)

Angel 12-14-2003 06:46 PM

Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

What's the difference between pixels and effective pixels? The Fuji 602S
apparently has 3M but effectively writes at 6 M due to some octagonal stuff
it does with the pixels? Have I got a 6M pixel camera or a 3 million?

Also, and this might sound stupid - most prints, at least in my holiday
snapper frame of mind, are 6 x 4 inches, but the camera ratio is not 6 x 4
so you always have to crop or am I being a ****?

Bill 12-14-2003 07:53 PM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

It's a 3 MP camera, as it states on the box it comes in. It can produce 6MP
files (by interpolation) of you need a larger file. This is the same as some
software can do with an image. But it has nothing to do with the octagonal
shape or staggered arrangement of pixels. That technologhy is supposed to
give better horizontal and vertical resolution, but not more pixels.
You should be able to print 4x5 prints without cropping.
Bill

Canopus 12-14-2003 08:17 PM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

"Angel" <Angel@SpamLand.Com> wrote in message
> What's the difference between pixels and effective pixels? The Fuji 602S
> apparently has 3M but effectively writes at 6 M due to some octagonal

stuff
> it does with the pixels? Have I got a 6M pixel camera or a 3 million?
>
> Also, and this might sound stupid - most prints, at least in my holiday
> snapper frame of mind, are 6 x 4 inches, but the camera ratio is not 6 x 4
> so you always have to crop or am I being a ****?

With most good image software such as Paint Shop Pro etc. you can use
templates and even create them for printing. If you make or have a 6 x 4
template then you can drag the image into it, resize it by dragging its
handles so that it completely fills the template (some of it will be
slightly outside the template), move it around until what you want is inside
the template and then print. You can create or choose templates for
whatever paper size you have and even create cells within the template so as
to print multiple copies or different pictures on the same sheet.

Rob

Chris P in PA 12-14-2003 08:57 PM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

I have a 602...
I take all my pics with it at 6mp and fine jpg mode (best quality
below the TIF file). I have shot and tested at all teh resolutions and
digital zooms, and there is no diffeence i can see at 400%
enlargement, in the details. The higer pixel count is perhaps a tad
better at some things, but notmuch difference. In theory, the best (as
in least) compression at 3Mp should yield the best picture..take some
pics and see for yourself. What the camera does at 6,3, and 1mp it
seems, is to use less of the sensor..the 1mp at zoom is the same as at
6mp pixel for pixel, just a cropped version of the bigger image.

The pic you want printed will be printed at 4x6 or whatever you
request. if the pic is of the wrong aspect ratio, one of thwo thaings
can happen - the photo lab will either print it smaller and leave a
shite border on 2 sides (not likely!) or they will crop off what don't
fit (in my case, they cetner this pic..my baby in the crib shot now
has a baby with no head AND no feet!)

to set the aspect ratio, in most editing programs you can crop to a
size in inches, or in Photoshop if you bring up the square selection
tool you can type in 4 and 6 or 8 and 10 ot 6 and 4, etc, and then it
makes a selection on the pic - you can resize it by dragging a corner,
or move the whole rectangle around, and it will keep the aspect ratio
at 4x6, 8x10, etc.

the best thing to do, and what i did last week, is to make 10 or 15
pics of various things and take them to the photo lab and see what you
get back...i gave them sepia times, b&w and b&w with a colored item in
it, non standard aspect ration (hence baby pic), jpg at various
compression (350k to over 2Mb) and a 17Mb tif file, other tif files, i
enlarged a pad part of a pic to the equivlaent of an 8x10.

i was more than satisfied at everything. Well, the baby pic.. but now
i know! The 350k and a 2.1Mb files of the same thing, the 350k had
seme jpeg compression artifacts in it, but nothing too hideous.

basically figure it this way...for good output, whether at a photolab
or your printer, you need to print the image at 200-240 DPI. So to get
a good 4x6 pic, you need a file of no less than 800x1200 pixels. At
6mp the fuji does an image 2880 wide - good enough for 12 to 14
inches.

So if you are at the zoo and want to take 200 pics, what is the best
compromise between 6m basic and 3m fine compressions? your call...i
chose 6mp and 'medium' compression, and i got 223 pics on a a 256mb CF
card. If i want to print at 5x7 or 4x6 i have a larger image to start
with, and the slight loses with the more compression I cannot see..but
that is me, and i doubt as i age my vision will improve. Your mileage
may vary.

chris

Chris Gunn 12-15-2003 11:00 AM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:53:46 -0500, "Bill" <digitalbill@cox.net>
>It's a 3 MP camera, as it states on the box it comes in. It can produce 6MP
>files (by interpolation) of you need a larger file. This is the same as some

Misleading.

>software can do with an image. But it has nothing to do with the octagonal

Incorrect.

>shape or staggered arrangement of pixels. That technologhy is supposed to
>give better horizontal and vertical resolution, but not more pixels.

Yes.

Haven't I corrected you before?

Gunn

602z.

Richard 12-15-2003 04:13 PM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

The 602z is a 3mp camera (but not a standard 3mp camera!), due to the
arrangement of the pixels (octagonal as you correctly spotted) it produces
6mp pictures. When taking pictures at3mp, it doesn't take the native 3mp
from the ccd (it downsamples the 6mp image), otherwise your picture will be
at 45 degrees...

To be honest the 6mp pictures (if downsampled later) are of equal quality
of a good 4mp camera.

Fuji's CCDs are really mean't for printing. The whole idea is that you
shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a print from a fuji 3mp
and another camera with 6mp printout...

Richard

Phnix 12-15-2003 05:12 PM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

Angel wrote:
> What's the difference between pixels and effective pixels? The Fuji
> 602S apparently has 3M but effectively writes at 6 M due to some
> octagonal stuff it does with the pixels? Have I got a 6M pixel
> camera or a 3 million?
>
> Also, and this might sound stupid - most prints, at least in my
> holiday snapper frame of mind, are 6 x 4 inches, but the camera ratio
> is not 6 x 4 so you always have to crop or am I being a ****?

Correct. 35mm are commonly printed 3:2, digital are 4:3 like most PC
monitors.
I don't know where you live but in the UK you can find online printers that
do 4:3 prints e.g. 6"x4.5" or 5"x3.75" rather than 6"x4"

Mark Herring 12-17-2003 03:55 AM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:13:15 +0000 (UTC), Richard
<I@gettoomuchspam.com> wrote:

>The 602z is a 3mp camera (but not a standard 3mp camera!), due to the
>arrangement of the pixels (octagonal as you correctly spotted) it produces
>6mp pictures.

Sorry---completely wrong.....

Octagonal, diagonal---whatever the shape of the pixels---you do not
get 6Mp out of 3. The 6Mp is created by interpolation

Resolution measured in Mpixels is an imperfect definition, but--if
used consistently--it is very useful. Plus, its all we have.

Be clear on this: The resolution limit set by the number of pixels
(ie independent spatial sampling sites) CANNOT be changed by the shape
or arrangement of the pixels.

In the extreme, people have said that Fuji did the diagonal thing to
get better results form horizontal and vertical bar charts. Whatever
their motive, their unique architecture does not enable 6Mp file sizes
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

George Preddy 12-18-2003 09:36 AM

Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M

"Angel" <Angel@SpamLand.Com> wrote in message
> What's the difference between pixels and effective pixels? The Fuji 602S
> apparently has 3M but effectively writes at 6 M due to some octagonal

stuff
> it does with the pixels? Have I got a 6M pixel camera or a 3 million?

Here is the exact sensor count, note S602 is a very good value...

http://www.pbase.com/image/23420444

George Preddy 12-18-2003 09:45 AM

MPs and Prices (Re: Fuji S602Z - 6 or 3 M)

"George Preddy" <george_preddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Angel" <Angel@SpamLand.Com> wrote in message
> > What's the difference between pixels and effective pixels? The Fuji

602S
> > apparently has 3M but effectively writes at 6 M due to some octagonal

> stuff
> > it does with the pixels? Have I got a 6M pixel camera or a 3 million?

> Here is the exact sensor count, note S602 is a very good value...

http://www.pbase.com/image/23420444

I really need to update the prices on that chart, it's been a few months. I
used pricegrabber.com for all, here are the prices as of today...

Fuji S602 (3.1MP) - $418
Sigma SD9 (10.3MP) - $699
Fuji S2 Pro (6.1MP) - $1749
Canon 10D (6.3MP) - $1386