Velocity Reviews

-   -   Light weight, portable tripod desired? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t248546-light-weight-portable-tripod-desired.html)

Dave Brown 12-09-2003 02:15 AM

Light weight, portable tripod desired?

I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
want it to provide stability as well...

TIA,

db

Bill Hilton 12-09-2003 02:42 AM

Re: Light weight, portable tripod desired?

>From: dmjbrown@mac.com (Dave Brown)

>I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
>treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
>to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
>want it to provide stability as well...

Gitzo carbon fiber models work great but are expensive. What is the heaviest
lens you'll be using?

Samuel Paik 12-09-2003 08:20 AM

dmjbrown@mac.com (Dave Brown) wrote:
> I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
> treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
> to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
> want it to provide stability as well...

Depending on your particular balance of light weight and stability
needs, a monopod might be worth considering. I have a Bogen 3016 which
is ok--it doesn't go everywhere with me but it doesn't merely sit in the
closet. Carbon fiber monopods are available, but the weight savings
generally are not much.

<http://www.photo.net/equipment/tripods/monopods>

If your balance is way over to lightweight, you might consider a
walking stick with a camera attachment. These are likely to be
somewhat lighter and less stiff than camera monopods, but you can use
them as walking sticks so they aren't dead weight when they aren't
being used as a camera support. The Leki Sierra and the Tracks
Sherlock are examples. (I don't heave one, but I'm strongly
considering one or a pair.)

<http://www.cascadedesigns.com/tracks/travel.asp?Action=SherlockTravelStaff>
<http://www.leki.com/Trek/travelseries.htm>

Decent carbon fiber tripods start around 4 pounds, which is more
additional weight than I would prefer to lug. Decent aluminum
tripods start about a pound heavier (but those would be signicantly
less stiff than the light weight carbon fiber tripods.

Sam

Koen 12-09-2003 08:53 AM

Re: Light weight, portable tripod desired?

If the price matters I would suggest the velbon maxi 347E, it is a nice
tripod for a low price:
http://www.velbon.com.au/maxi347E.html

Koen

"Dave Brown" <dmjbrown@mac.com> schreef in bericht
news:9c9757f7.0312081815.1cf621eb@posting.google.c om...

Mark Johnson 12-09-2003 05:02 PM

Re: Light weight, portable tripod desired?

dmjbrown@mac.com (Dave Brown) wrote:

>I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
>treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
>to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
>want it to provide stability as well...

Check out a used Slik Pro on ebay. I think they had aluminum and then
went to carbon fibre. But I'm not sure. And if so, I don't know that
it would make much difference if they did. But see what's described
there. There's also the Slik U212, which many people seem to like -
their 'universal' tripod.

Michael Meissner 12-09-2003 08:07 PM

dmjbrown@mac.com (Dave Brown) writes:

> I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
> treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
> to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
> want it to provide stability as well...

Depending on where you hike, something like an Ultrapod-II tabletop tripod
which has a builtin velcro strap for attaching to trees might give you the
stabality without the overhead of a longer tripod.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org