Velocity Reviews

-   -   Doing the curves in adobe (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t248066-doing-the-curves-in-adobe.html)

n 12-01-2003 07:07 AM

Doing the curves in adobe

I now enjoy improving my pictures using levels: it is easy for me to
do by moving the RGB histogram right hand slider towards the left till
it reaches some significant levels.

I had a look at "curves" too. I had no idea what to do. I should
really be getting an adobe book at this stage but thought I would post
anyway since the advice here is so specific and concise.

Peter Jones 12-01-2003 01:50 PM

Re: Doing the curves in adobe

On 30 Nov 2003 23:07:05 -0800, total_utter_carp@yahoo.com (n) wrote:

>I now enjoy improving my pictures using levels: it is easy for me to
>do by moving the RGB histogram right hand slider towards the left till
>it reaches some significant levels.
>
>I had a look at "curves" too. I had no idea what to do. I should
>really be getting an adobe book at this stage but thought I would post
>anyway since the advice here is so specific and concise.

Read about it at http://www.luminous-landscape.com

Look for 'Instant Photoshop' tutorial (or perhaps article)

Peter
Digital Photography Reference
http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
Health, happiness and healing
http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

Mark Herring 12-01-2003 02:00 PM

Re: Doing the curves in adobe

total_utter_carp@yahoo.com (n) wrote in message news:<ae83e187.0311302307.18360355@posting.google. com>...
> I now enjoy improving my pictures using levels: it is easy for me to
> do by moving the RGB histogram right hand slider towards the left till
> it reaches some significant levels.
>
> I had a look at "curves" too. I had no idea what to do. I should
> really be getting an adobe book at this stage but thought I would post
> anyway since the advice here is so specific and concise.

You are at the tip of a very large iceberg. Any of the controls that
affects brightness and contrast is controlling the "curves"--namely
the relationship between output and input. To help see this, try to
get the same effect from---say--levels and curves.

You can read the book, but I prefer to experiment. Just keep palying
with all the tools until the effects become obvious.

Conrad Weiler 12-01-2003 02:37 PM

Re: Doing the curves in adobe

>I now enjoy improving my pictures using levels:

Hi,

I also enjoyed using levels until becoming more familiar with curves. Once you
do that -- you'll really see a positive diference in your photos.

Good luck,

Conrad

P.S. Thanks Peter for the wonderful web site and tutorials at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Tony Spadaro 12-01-2003 06:49 PM

Re: Doing the curves in adobe

Curves are similar to levels but with up to 14 control points. They
allow much finer moves. The best way to learn them is to make copies of a
file under a new name and play about a little to get an idea of how they
work. The book on colour correction in this list
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbookps.html
goes into it heavily but all the other books do too. If you are using
Photoshop for photography, Katrin Eismann's book is pretty much required
reading.
--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto