Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t247425-is-fuji-s3000-3-2m-pixel-output-or-6-m-pixel-interpolated-output.html)

Peter H 11-19-2003 09:10 PM

Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output?

Greetings.... Apologies if this posts twice, first try went down a black
'ole....

I bought a Fuji S3000 at the weekend, on the strength of an advert claiming
it has 3.2 m/pixel, interpolated to 6 m/pixel output. I'm damned if I can
find any reference to interpolated output in the manual, or on Fuji's site:

Can anyone tell me if I've been misled, or is this a feature of Fuji kit in
general?

Pete

Harry Da Hat 11-19-2003 09:55 PM

Re: Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output?

On 19-Nov-2003, "Peter H" <peter@NopalantirSpam.plus.com> wrote:

> I bought a Fuji S3000 at the weekend, on the strength of an advert
> claiming
> it has 3.2 m/pixel, interpolated to 6 m/pixel output

It is interpolated. I"ve been using a 4900 for years, which really has a
2.2mp sensor, when it's output is interpolated to 4.4mp. Apparently, all
the Fuji's are like that. Ask on one of the Fuji mailing lists.

Harry

--

Fuji Cameras Make The Best Pets!!!!!!!!!!

mailto: hflaxman@neb.rr.com

KS 11-19-2003 10:02 PM

Peter H wrote:
> Greetings.... Apologies if this posts twice, first try went down a
> black 'ole....
>
> I bought a Fuji S3000 at the weekend, on the strength of an advert
> claiming it has 3.2 m/pixel, interpolated to 6 m/pixel output. I'm
> damned if I can find any reference to interpolated output in the
> manual, or on Fuji's site:
>
> Can anyone tell me if I've been misled, or is this a feature of Fuji
> kit in general?
>
> Pete

As I understand it, the S3000 only does 3.2MP, it's the S5000 the does 3.2MP
interpolated to 6 MP. The S3000 comes in silver, the S5000 in black.

But then, I could be wrong ! Hope this helps.

I used to be sober but now I am 11-20-2003 11:12 AM

Re: Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output?

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:10:25 -0000, "Peter H" <peter@NopalantirSpam.plus.com>
wrote:

> Greetings.... Apologies if this posts twice, first try went down a black
> 'ole....
>
> I bought a Fuji S3000 at the weekend, on the strength of an advert claiming
> it has 3.2 m/pixel, interpolated to 6 m/pixel output. I'm damned if I can
> find any reference to interpolated output in the manual, or on Fuji's site:
>
> Can anyone tell me if I've been misled, or is this a feature of Fuji kit in
> general?

You have been misled.

George Preddy 11-20-2003 12:41 PM

Interpolation rundown (Re: Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output?)

"Peter H" <peter@NopalantirSpam.plus.com> wrote in message
> Greetings.... Apologies if this posts twice, first try went down a black
> 'ole....
>
> I bought a Fuji S3000 at the weekend, on the strength of an advert

claiming
> it has 3.2 m/pixel, interpolated to 6 m/pixel output. I'm damned if I can
> find any reference to interpolated output in the manual, or on Fuji's

site:

> Can anyone tell me if I've been misled, or is this a feature of Fuji kit

in
> general?
>
> Pete

All Bayer camera's interpolate. In 6MP mode your Fuji interpolates to twice
the degree.

Here are the facts. Note, this is quite kind to the Bayer cameras since in
reality only 75% of the total sensor count can be used to create full color
since 25% of the total sensors are green orphans, as you'll see below.
Divide the S2 Pro's sensor count in half to get the S3000's numbers. Cost
per sensor is the most important and interesting section....

Optical information captured - 14n is the benchmark = 100%:
--------------------
14n - 100%
1Ds - 81%
SD9 - 75%
10D - 46%
S2 - 45%
D100 - 44%

Sensor color breakdown - R, G, B (R%, G%, B%), 14n is the benchmark = 100%:
--------------------
14n - 3.43, 6.85, 3.43 (100, 100, 100)
1Ds - 2.78, 5.55, 2.78 (81, 81, 81)
SD9 - 3.43, 3.43, 3.43 (100, 50, 100)
10D - 1.58, 3.15, 1.58 (46, 46, 46)
S2 - 1.52, 3.05, 1.52 (45, 45, 45)
D100 - 1.50, 3.00, 1.50 (44, 44, 44)

Degree of color interpolation present in output files - SD9 is the benchmark
= 100%:
--------------------
SD9 (3.4 MP) - 100% optical color data per output pixel (= no interpolation)
14n (13.7 MP) - 33% optical color data per output pixel
1Ds (11.1 MP) - 33% optical color data per output pixel
10D (6.3 MP) - 33% optical color data per output pixel
S2 (6.1 MP) - 33% optical color data per output pixel
D100 (6.0 MP) - 33% optical color data per output pixel
SD9 (13.7 MP) - 25% optical color data per output pixel
S2 (12.2 MP) - 17% optical color data per output pixel

Cost in cents per sensor - 1DS = benchmark, source: pricegrabber.com:
--------------------
1Ds - .060 (100%)
14n - .030 (50%)
S2 - .025 (42%)
D100 - .024 (40%)
10D - .022 (36%)
SD9 - .008 (13%)

Body cost - 1DS = benchmark. Source: pricegrabber.com:
--------------------
1Ds - $6350 (100%)
14n - $4145 (65%)
S2 - $1549 (24%)
D100 - $1429 (23%)
10D - $1359 (21%)
SD9 - $899 (14%)

Antonio L. Balsamo Sr. 11-20-2003 02:41 PM

Re: Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output?

On the old 3800, there are 2 3mp settings (3F and 3N). According to
the manual, the number of pixels being stored is the same ( 2048 x 1536)
for either setting, but the output image data size is 1300KB for 3F and
590KB for 3N. Nothing is said about interpolated pixels though!

Moxieman

Bill M 11-20-2003 03:04 PM

Re: Interpolation rundown (Re: Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output?)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:41:47 +0900, "George Preddy"
<george_preddy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Peter H" <peter@NopalantirSpam.plus.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings.... Apologies if this posts twice, first try went down a black
>> 'ole....
>>
>> I bought a Fuji S3000 at the weekend, on the strength of an advert

>claiming
>> it has 3.2 m/pixel, interpolated to 6 m/pixel output. I'm damned if I can
>> find any reference to interpolated output in the manual, or on Fuji's

>site:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if I've been misled, or is this a feature of Fuji kit

>in
>> general?
>>
>> Pete

>All Bayer camera's interpolate. In 6MP mode your Fuji interpolates to twice
>the degree.
>
>Here are the facts. Note, this is quite kind to the Bayer cameras since in
>reality only 75% of the total sensor count can be used to create full color
>since 25% of the total sensors are green orphans, as you'll see below.
>Divide the S2 Pro's sensor count in half to get the S3000's numbers. Cost
>per sensor is the most important and interesting section....

<snip snip>

Still babbling about 25% green orphans I see...again prove it...

George Preddy 11-20-2003 03:13 PM

"Bill M" <bmeck@removethis.erols.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:41:47 +0900, "George Preddy"
> >Here are the facts. Note, this is quite kind to the Bayer cameras since

in
> >reality only 75% of the total sensor count can be used to create full

color
> >since 25% of the total sensors are green orphans, as you'll see below.
> >Divide the S2 Pro's sensor count in half to get the S3000's numbers.

Cost
> >per sensor is the most important and interesting section....
> >

> <snip snip>
>
> Still babbling about 25% green orphans I see...again prove it...

unsnip unsnip

Bill M 11-20-2003 06:46 PM

Re: Interpolation rundown (Re: Is Fuji S3000 3.2m/pixel output, or 6 m/pixel interpolated output?)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:13:46 +0900, "George Preddy"
<george_preddy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Bill M" <bmeck@removethis.erols.com> wrote in message
>news:7rlprvo8e328a9rtnq601lon2p4bdt47ms@4ax.com.. .
>> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:41:47 +0900, "George Preddy"
>> >Here are the facts. Note, this is quite kind to the Bayer cameras since

>in
>> >reality only 75% of the total sensor count can be used to create full

>color
>> >since 25% of the total sensors are green orphans, as you'll see below.
>> >Divide the S2 Pro's sensor count in half to get the S3000's numbers.

>Cost
>> >per sensor is the most important and interesting section....
>> >

>> <snip snip>
>>
>> Still babbling about 25% green orphans I see...again prove it...

>unsnip unsnip

Your figures George...post ANYTHING reputable backing them up! I can't
find any mention in any discussion of bayer sensors anywhere that back
you up....

George Preddy 11-20-2003 08:21 PM

"Bill M" <bmeck@NOSPAMerols.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:13:46 +0900, "George Preddy"
> <george_preddy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Still babbling about 25% green orphans I see...again prove it...

> >unsnip unsnip
> >

> Your figures George...post ANYTHING reputable backing them up! I can't
> find any mention in any discussion of bayer sensors anywhere that back
> you up....

Check em anywhere, they're right. If not, please let me know which one is
wrong.