Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t247347-fuji-finepix-s602z-vs-fujifilm-finepix-s7000.html)

Kevin 11-18-2003 01:23 PM

Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

Hello,

I would like some advice.... I'm have done my homework
and found that either the S7000 or S602Z is the best camera
for me.... (memory flexibility,price, movie @ 30fps,etc)

Here are my questions:

1) compression on the s7000 is higher so pic quality (i think) is
less than the S602Z..... If this is true can it be fixed w/
a firmware upgrade? Are firmware upgrades likely from fuji?

2) Is the LDC on the s7000 better than on the S602z?

3) The s602z is selling for more (pricescan.com) than the
s7000.... why?

4) Which would you buy and why?

Thanks for your time,
-- Kevin

11-18-2003 02:05 PM

Re: Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

Kevin,

The cameras are very similar overall. The S7000 has double the pixel count,
but at the same sensor size. This basically means that you will get double
the size files, but some of those extra pixles will either be digital noise,
or smudged details from noise reduction. I haven't seen a resolution
comparison of the two cameras yet.

I believe the S7000 has better focus system (the 602 sucks badly in low
orindary room light) and faster overall operation.

S7000 has RAW mode which is a godsend. If my S602 had it, I probably would
not have just upgraded to a DSLR. For fine gradation of colour tones, JPEG
sucks, expecially if you want to convert to B+W.. 602 has a tiff mode but it
is so slow it is unusable for everything but still life.

The 602 is probably selling for more because people who have one see that it
is being replaced and want to get hold of one before they disappear off the
shelves forever. They are excellent cameras, and I am sure the S7000 will be
equally good when people get used to it.

news:c1c805b2.0311180523.4020b480@posting.google.c om...

HRosita 11-18-2003 03:20 PM

Re: Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

>pb_and_j_more@yahoo.com wrote:

>3) The s602z is selling for more (pricescan.com) than the
> s7000.... why?

It seems to me that the S602Z is no longer manufactured and only stores that
were selling it high in the first place have stock left.
Rosita

someone 11-18-2003 03:27 PM

Re: Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

On 18 Nov 2003 05:23:56 -0800, pb_and_j_more@yahoo.com (Kevin) posted:

>Hello,
>
>I would like some advice.... I'm have done my homework
>and found that either the S7000 or S602Z is the best camera
>for me.... (memory flexibility,price, movie @ 30fps,etc)
>
>Here are my questions:
>
>1) compression on the s7000 is higher so pic quality (i think) is
> less than the S602Z..... If this is true can it be fixed w/
> a firmware upgrade? Are firmware upgrades likely from fuji?
>
>2) Is the LDC on the s7000 better than on the S602z?
>
>3) The s602z is selling for more (pricescan.com) than the
> s7000.... why?
>
>4) Which would you buy and why?

neither, get the f717. the s602z is dust-prone, period. dust will get on
your ccd, even with the adaptor tube and uv filter combo. then it will
become a useless white elephant.

someone 11-18-2003 03:27 PM

Re: Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:05:01 +0000 (UTC), "<Enter Your Full Name>"
<unknown@unknown.com> posted:

>Kevin,
>
>The cameras are very similar overall. The S7000 has double the pixel count,
>but at the same sensor size. This basically means that you will get double
>the size files, but some of those extra pixles will either be digital noise,
>or smudged details from noise reduction. I haven't seen a resolution
>comparison of the two cameras yet.
>
>I believe the S7000 has better focus system (the 602 sucks badly in low
>orindary room light) and faster overall operation.

that is true. during the late afternoon, try taking a picture in the corner
of the room in your house. it will not focus at all.

>S7000 has RAW mode which is a godsend. If my S602 had it, I probably would
>not have just upgraded to a DSLR. For fine gradation of colour tones, JPEG
>sucks, expecially if you want to convert to B+W.. 602 has a tiff mode but it
>is so slow it is unusable for everything but still life.

just to qualify that, the image capture is as per normal, that is your
shutter speed is not affected. it just takes forever when writing to the
card due to the huge file size.

Kevin 11-19-2003 02:04 AM

Re: Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

Thanks to everyone for all the input and advise.... :)

I would go w/ the sony 717 but no compact flash capability....
only on th 828.... and that's more than what I want to
spend......

Thanks again.... I'm going w/ the s7000!

one more question:

has anyone used a microdrive 2GB or 4GB w/ the
s7000? any problems?

Thanks again for your time,
-- Kevin

Richard 11-19-2003 05:03 PM

Re: Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

I was in the same situation as you last week!

s602 vs s7000

for the money the s602 won it (in the UK anyway 150 more)

The thing with the dust issue, if the S602 got the problem, the s7000
will have it too as its the same shell and sub-structure...

I'm going to use the s602 until next xmas, them hopefully fuji will bring
out a true sucessor to the s602, for me the s7000 wasn't a big enough
step for the extra , also I'm not convinced of the HR CCD...

I hope they keep the design thou! - Lovely to hold and use.

Enjoy your new camera...

What ever you do don't get a MagicStor 2.2gb CF card - there have been
loads of issues with them.

Richard

pb_and_j_more@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote in
news:c1c805b2.0311181804.5929c755@posting.google.c om:

Kevin 11-26-2003 03:18 AM

Richard <Richardw@bmtremovesica.co.uk> wrote in message news:<Xns9438AD7BCBFD4Richardwbmtremovesic@217.32. 252.50>...
> I was in the same situation as you last week!
>
> s602 vs s7000
>
> for the money the s602 won it (in the UK anyway 150 more)
>
> The thing with the dust issue, if the S602 got the problem, the s7000
> will have it too as its the same shell and sub-structure...
>
> I'm going to use the s602 until next xmas, them hopefully fuji will bring
> out a true sucessor to the s602, for me the s7000 wasn't a big enough
> step for the extra , also I'm not convinced of the HR CCD...
>
> I hope they keep the design thou! - Lovely to hold and use.
>
> Enjoy your new camera...

Thanks for the info.... :)

> What ever you do don't get a MagicStor 2.2gb CF card - there have been
> loads of issues with them.

****! I just bought one on ebay and got it in the mail today.....
so what where the issues.... I don't have my camera because they
are all on back order from fuji.... ~ 3more weeks.....
however, I did take the CF to a camera shop and asked them if they would
put it into the s7000 and see if the CF was ok..... I didn't see the
exact error but the guy said something about "disk read error" when
he tried to format the CF in the camera..... So I bought a capact flash
reader $19 and plugged it in to my linux box.....

oh, 1st I called fuji and they couldn't tell me if MagicStor CF's would
work or not..... guy said CF cards couldn't be formated except from the
factory.... hehehe silly guy.....

so i mounted the CF card just fine.... I did see a funny directory....
and the command: "fsck -tmsdos /dev/sda1" uncovered some problems w/
the partition..... having called fuji before I knew the s7000 couldn't support
more than 2gb (ie 16Bit Fat file system only).... so I formated the
CF card with this command: "mkfs.msdos -F16 -v /dev/sda1" so the CF card
has a fresh 16bit fat file system on it.... but I don't have a camera yet
to try it in....... :(

Does anyone know what the issues where? file system format releated?
Any idea what format fuji cameras like?

Thanks for your time,
-- Kevin

Richard 11-26-2003 11:04 AM

Re: Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

From what I've heard about the MagicStor's...

The drives don't seem to have enough buffer/cache. They seem to be fine
if you don't take 'burst' shots (for example the fuji 'last 5') if you do
the drive comes back with a write error and sometimes crashes the camera.

Also I believe the movie mode is affected by this lack of buffer/cache.

The other thing I've heard is that they are prone to overheating, which
also causes write errors.

Others have said they don't work too well in PDAs either (maybe a factor
of the above overheating)

Shame as they would of been ideal....

Richard

pb_and_j_more@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote in
news:c1c805b2.0311251918.23681455@posting.google.c om:

<snip>

Kevin 11-27-2003 01:29 AM

Richard <Richardw@bmtremovesica.co.uk> wrote in message news:<Xns943F70BCDFF09Richardwbmtremovesic@217.32. 252.50>...
> From what I've heard about the MagicStor's...
>
> The drives don't seem to have enough buffer/cache. They seem to be fine
> if you don't take 'burst' shots (for example the fuji 'last 5') if you do
> the drive comes back with a write error and sometimes crashes the camera.

interesting..... I don't think I'll be doing burst shots..... but
never know.... sound silly but what happens when a camera crashes....
will the last pic be lost or will the hole drive need to be re-formated?

> Also I believe the movie mode is affected by this lack of buffer/cache.

major bummer...... this is one of the reasons I bought the s7000.....

> The other thing I've heard is that they are prone to overheating, which
> also causes write errors.

huh..... I'm not sure if you know but will this cause last picture loss
or what..... This will be my first digital camera..... took me long
enough I know... :)

> Others have said they don't work too well in PDAs either (maybe a factor
> of the above overheating)
>
> Shame as they would of been ideal....

I know ideal for the price too..... I got it for $189 USD with shipping...
I guess I might not have got such a good deal.... live and learn....

Thanks again for the info and when i get my camera... I will post a follow-up
to let others know what I found....

Thanks again,
-- Kevin