Velocity Reviews

-   -   Transferring pix to cd in the uk (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t246941-transferring-pix-to-cd-in-the-uk.html)

Mike O'sullivan 11-11-2003 12:05 PM

Transferring pix to cd in the uk

I'm a very new digital photographer (Pentax Optio 500). Should it be
possible when away from home, eg on holiday, to transfer the contents of an
SD card to cd rom at a reasonable cost WITHOUT paying for prints I don't
want? This would obviously enable the card to be formated and re-used. This
question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only (exorbidant)
price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he did not
seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

Trev 11-11-2003 01:05 PM

Re: Transferring pix to cd in the uk

"Mike O'sullivan" <mike.osullivan3@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I'm a very new digital photographer (Pentax Optio 500). Should it be
> possible when away from home, eg on holiday, to transfer the contents

of an
> SD card to cd rom at a reasonable cost WITHOUT paying for prints I

don't
> want? This would obviously enable the card to be formated and re-used.

This
> question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only

(exorbidant)
> price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he

did not
> seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

You may find a Internet cafe that will burn a CD. The photo dealers
will compress more and only use low resolution.

Mike O'sullivan 11-11-2003 01:12 PM

"Trev" <trevbowden@claranet.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> You may find a Internet cafe that will burn a CD. The photo dealers
> will compress more and only use low resolution.

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

Laurence Wilmer 11-11-2003 01:19 PM

Re: Transferring pix to cd in the uk

"Mike O'sullivan" <mike.osullivan3@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I'm a very new digital photographer (Pentax Optio 500). Should it be
> possible when away from home, eg on holiday, to transfer the contents of

an
> SD card to cd rom at a reasonable cost WITHOUT paying for prints I don't
> want? This would obviously enable the card to be formated and re-used.

This
> question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only (exorbidant)
> price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he did

not
> seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

Sounds to me like there is a surplus capacity for producing photographic
prints with the rise of digital photography. So any excuse to charge for
some prints will do!

Or may be a fiendish plan to charge for a very simple file transfer service
as though he were processing a film, scanning negs etc.. I think he
understood perfectly well!

Isn't there now a gap in the market for a stand-alone CD writer with just a
card reader or USB port?

Laurence

Brothermark 11-11-2003 03:20 PM

Mike O'sullivan wrote:

>> You may find a Internet cafe that will burn a CD. The photo dealers
>> will compress more and only use low resolution.

> Interesting, thanks for the tip.

2 options I'd consider:

1. Take a laptop with you and upload your pics to the hard drive and then
reuse the SD card
2. Buy another SD card or 2.... or 3. You can get 512mb ones from ebay

Alan Hutchison 11-11-2003 11:51 PM

Mike O'sullivan wrote:
> I'm a very new digital photographer (Pentax Optio 500). Should it be
> possible when away from home, eg on holiday, to transfer the contents of an
> SD card to cd rom at a reasonable cost WITHOUT paying for prints I don't
> want? This would obviously enable the card to be formated and re-used. This
> question was posed to a small dealer yesterday and the only (exorbidant)
> price he could quote me was related to how many prints I wanted. he did not
> seem to understand why I did not want prints, just the cd.

Just returned from touring the UK on a tandem bicycle. No
room for carrying any excess, so took two 512MB cards and had
them straight copied to CDs. The first one was done for us by
an internet cafe at Keswick for 2.50UKP and the second was
done for us by a photo shop at Swindon for 0.00UKP and there
were no prints involved at either place. The service is quite
commonly available at either type of business but more readily
at camera stores. So far I have experienced prices from zero
to about A$16.00 (US$11.25).

My advice would be to go there with either a second card, as I
did, or look for a photo store or internet cafe a day or so
before you expect to run out of memory.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

RAD 11-12-2003 05:50 AM

Re: Transferring pix to cd in the uk

There is also another option other than using shops to copy your cards
onto. That is getting one of the several, two I know of for certain,
portable CD drives available. Then you can save your cards as they fill,
and you don't need to watch and worry about running out of room on the
card(s) you currently have.

RAD

Mike O'sullivan 11-12-2003 08:37 AM

"Alan Hutchison" <alrose@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message

> Just returned from touring the UK on a tandem bicycle. No
> room for carrying any excess, so took two 512MB cards and had
> them straight copied to CDs. The first one was done for us by
> an internet cafe at Keswick for 2.50UKP and the second was
> done for us by a photo shop at Swindon for 0.00UKP and there
> were no prints involved at either place. The service is quite
> commonly available at either type of business but more readily
> at camera stores. So far I have experienced prices from zero
> to about A$16.00 (US$11.25).
>
> My advice would be to go there with either a second card, as I
> did, or look for a photo store or internet cafe a day or so
> before you expect to run out of memory.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes indeed, good information. Thanks very much. (I hope I'm lucky enough to
find a photo shop who'll do it for free!)

Mike O'sullivan 11-12-2003 08:38 AM

"RAD" <not@here.net> wrote in message
news:ZSjsb.28338$Fq7.14055@newssvr27.news.prodigy. com...
> There is also another option other than using shops to copy your cards
> onto. That is getting one of the several, two I know of for certain,
> portable CD drives available. Then you can save your cards as they fill,
> and you don't need to watch and worry about running out of room on the
> card(s) you currently have.

Worth considering, thanks.