Velocity Reviews

-   -   Face to Face Purchase Help UK (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t246359-face-to-face-purchase-help-uk.html)

Len 10-30-2003 05:09 PM

Face to Face Purchase Help UK

I want to upgrade my Kodak 280 which has been fine but I think needs
retiring off for, hopefully, a better performing camera. I would like to go
into a retailer and feel I can get genuine help when selecting the
replacement. Any suggestions - I live in South Devon (UK).

Len

Barry Smith 10-31-2003 02:13 AM

Re: Face to Face Purchase Help UK

In message <3fa145d3$0$12666$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>
"Len" <bogusemailaddy@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I want to upgrade my Kodak 280 which has been fine but I think needs
> retiring off for, hopefully, a better performing camera. I would like to go
> into a retailer and feel I can get genuine help when selecting the
> replacement. Any suggestions - I live in South Devon (UK).

Dealers/shops are in business to make money. Some do it by selling
you something with a higher spec than you need. Some give better
advice than others. Some put more pressure on you make a decision.

My own (recent) experience was to make a shortlist of cameras that
suited my needs, find local dealers who had them in stock and go
and handle them. Ask a few simple questions to which you know the answer
(by doing your research beforehand). Their replies will tell you
whether it's worth going further and maybe buying the camera from them.

My own opinion is don't buy via the internet, even if it looks
a good deal. In the long term, if you have any problems it's
easier to deal with someone in a local shop.

I've always found Jessops to be OK (they have a store in Exeter).
Alternatively look in your local Yellow Pages.
I would avoid buying from such as Dixons, Currys, Argos, etc.

Barry
--
I was going to join the Apathetic Society, but I couldn't be bothered...

Len 10-31-2003 08:08 AM

"Barry Smith" <baz@g4iat.demon.invalid> wrote in message
> In message <3fa145d3$0$12666$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>
> "Len" <bogusemailaddy@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to upgrade my Kodak 280 which has been fine but I think needs
> > retiring off for, hopefully, a better performing camera. I would like to

go
> > into a retailer and feel I can get genuine help when selecting the
> > replacement. Any suggestions - I live in South Devon (UK).

> Dealers/shops are in business to make money. Some do it by selling
> you something with a higher spec than you need. Some give better
> advice than others. Some put more pressure on you make a decision.
>
> My own (recent) experience was to make a shortlist of cameras that
> suited my needs, find local dealers who had them in stock and go
> and handle them. Ask a few simple questions to which you know the answer
> (by doing your research beforehand). Their replies will tell you
> whether it's worth going further and maybe buying the camera from them.
>
> My own opinion is don't buy via the internet, even if it looks
> a good deal. In the long term, if you have any problems it's
> easier to deal with someone in a local shop.
>
> I've always found Jessops to be OK (they have a store in Exeter).
> Alternatively look in your local Yellow Pages.
> I would avoid buying from such as Dixons, Currys, Argos, etc.
>
> Barry

Thanks for that Barry

I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never been
in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of the
magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not high
enough budget.

Len

Graham 10-31-2003 06:12 PM

Re: Face to Face Purchase Help UK

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:

> I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never been
> in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of the
> magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
> excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not high
> enough budget.

And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

Len 10-31-2003 06:29 PM

"Graham" <fensman@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
>
> > I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never

been
> > in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of

the
> > magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
> > excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not

high
> > enough budget.

> And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
> net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

Good point as there web site price not that competitive.

Len

Graham 10-31-2003 06:44 PM

Re: Face to Face Purchase Help UK

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:29:38 -0000, Len expounded this theory:

>> And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
>> net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

> Good point as there web site price not that competitive.

I bought a camera from them last week. They advertised it at 499.00.
Park Cameras had it for 417.00. Jessops sold it to me for 417.00
plus the six pounds P&P that Park Cameras charge.

Donald Gray 10-31-2003 10:06 PM

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:12:02 +0000, Graham <fensman@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
>
>> I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never been
>> in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of the
>> magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
>> excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not high
>> enough budget.

>And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
>net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

I wanted to buy a Nikon Coolpix 5700

Jessops price was 850ish. I went through the latest edition of
"Digital Camera Buyer" and trawled through all the ads.

I tagged all those selling the camera I wanted - I found a shop in
Exeter (Devon Camera Centre) selling it at 700. I live in 40 miles
away. I went into Jessops with the magazine and they price matched.

Try Devon Camera Centre, 25 Princesshay, Exeter. They were the
cheapest I found. Also see www.digital-experts.co.uk

Regards
--
Donald Gray
www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

Len 11-01-2003 08:16 AM

"Donald Gray" <donald@SafetyPin.odcombe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:12:02 +0000, Graham <fensman@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
> >
> >> I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never

been
> >> in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several

of the
> >> magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are

some
> >> excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not

high
> >> enough budget.

> >And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
> >net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

> I wanted to buy a Nikon Coolpix 5700
>
> Jessops price was 850ish. I went through the latest edition of
> "Digital Camera Buyer" and trawled through all the ads.
>
> I tagged all those selling the camera I wanted - I found a shop in
> Exeter (Devon Camera Centre) selling it at 700. I live in 40 miles
> away. I went into Jessops with the magazine and they price matched.
>
> Try Devon Camera Centre, 25 Princesshay, Exeter. They were the
> cheapest I found. Also see www.digital-experts.co.uk
>
> Regards
> --
> Donald Gray

Thanks for that I am only 14 miles from Exeter so will get into Jessops and
Devon Camera Centre. Still trying to short list my essential needs and
seeing if I have the budget for the end result.

Len

Len 11-01-2003 08:16 AM

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:29:38 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
>
> >> And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
> >> net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

> > Good point as there web site price not that competitive.

> I bought a camera from them last week. They advertised it at 499.00.
> Park Cameras had it for 417.00. Jessops sold it to me for 417.00
> plus the six pounds P&P that Park Cameras charge.

Do you mind my asking what camera as my budget is 400 max?

Len

Graham 11-01-2003 10:33 AM

Re: Face to Face Purchase Help UK

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:16:53 -0000, Len expounded this theory:

> Do you mind my asking what camera as my budget is 400 max?

It was the Sony DSC V1. I already have a Nikon D100 and I wanted
something to slip into my pocket.