Velocity Reviews

-   -   Maha 401 - Charging 'charged' batteries ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t245984-maha-401-charging-charged-batteries.html)

Folklore 10-23-2003 12:16 PM

Maha 401 - Charging 'charged' batteries ?

Am I correct that the 401 (or any charger?) cannot detect an end of
charge if the batteries are already fully charged and that placing
them in the charger will kill the batteries?

How long after they've been removed from the charger and sat on shelf
would they be safe to put in again?

How much charge do batteries loose (ex Powerex 2200 AA) when they're
sitting? 10% per week?

Thanks.

Ron Hunter 10-23-2003 12:44 PM

Re: Maha 401 - Charging 'charged' batteries ?

Folklore wrote:

> Am I correct that the 401 (or any charger?) cannot detect an end of
> charge if the batteries are already fully charged and that placing
> them in the charger will kill the batteries?
>
> How long after they've been removed from the charger and sat on shelf
> would they be safe to put in again?
>
> How much charge do batteries loose (ex Powerex 2200 AA) when they're
> sitting? 10% per week?
>
> Thanks.

It is unlikely that the Maha 401 would hurt a charged battery. That is
a smart charger and if it senses too much resistance, or heat in the
batteries, it will reduce the charge rate to a trickle. As for loss of
charge, the discharge rate of NIMH batteries depends on a number of
factors, such as construction, environment (hot or cold) and the actual
chemical composition of the batteries. You can probably get a discharge
profile from the manufacturer's website for your batteries. That said,
perhaps 10% in the first week, and relatively less for the rest of the
discharge time. I usually try to make sure my NIMH batteries get
recharged if they have been unused for a month or more.

George 10-23-2003 01:11 PM

Re: Maha 401 - Charging 'charged' batteries ?

The cheapest way to deal with reducing charging current as a battery charges
up is to simply insert a resistor in series...that is what most chargers do.
The current is what produces heat and the current =
(Vbatt-Vcharger)/Resistance...so, as the battery voltage approaches that of
the charger, the current drops off.

Bob Salomon 10-23-2003 03:50 PM

Re: Maha 401 - Charging 'charged' batteries ?

In article <fchfpvsmd862g1dg4jvc7dssmqg8p47f9u@4ax.com>,
Folklore <Folk@nospam.net> wrote:

> Am I correct that the 401 (or any charger?) cannot detect an end of
> charge if the batteries are already fully charged and that placing
> them in the charger will kill the batteries?
>
> How long after they've been removed from the charger and sat on shelf
> would they be safe to put in again?
>
> How much charge do batteries loose (ex Powerex 2200 AA) when they're
> sitting? 10% per week?
>
> Thanks.

When you put any NiMh or NiCd cell (AAA, AA, C, D, N or 9V) in an
Ansmann Energy 8 or 16 charger the charger first tests the battery and
reads out, via LED, the state of charge - red = less then 25%, yellow =
less then 80%, green = more then 80% of full charge. So, yes, a charger
can know the state of charge of an inserted cell and handle it properly.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Folklore 10-25-2003 01:44 PM

Re: Maha 401 - Charging 'charged' batteries ?

Thanks everyone. Exact info I needed.