Velocity Reviews

-   -   What resolution for poster size prints ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t245555-what-resolution-for-poster-size-prints.html)

Alfred Molon 10-15-2003 05:59 PM

What resolution for poster size prints ?

What dpi are customary in the publishing world for a 3 x 8 feet poster
print ? Obviously not the 300 dpi used for books - perhaps 100 dpi ?
--

Alfred Molon

Darrell Larose 10-15-2003 06:21 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

depends on the viewing distance, and how the poster is being reproduced.
Photos are are about 200 dpi. Using that standard 200 dpi x 96"= 19,200x 200
dpi x 36= 7,200 so to look like a photo up close it would need to be
19,200x7,200= 138,240,000 so that looks like a bigass file.

news:6db13d93e0678e013f3a9e2f45086dad@news.meganet news.com...

PiZzazA 10-15-2003 06:27 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

Should multiply that by 3 as each pixel is made up by three bytes.

news:7fgjb.342314$Lnr1.227460@news01.bloor.is.net. cable.rogers.com...

Alfred Molon 10-15-2003 06:34 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

In article <7fgjb.342314$Lnr1.227460
@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, cota348@rXXogers.comx says...
> depends on the viewing distance, and how the poster is being reproduced.
> Photos are are about 200 dpi. Using that standard 200 dpi x 96"= 19,200x 200
> dpi x 36= 7,200 so to look like a photo up close it would need to be
> 19,200x7,200= 138,240,000 so that looks like a bigass file.

You mean a 3 x 8 feet poster is usually printed at 200 dpi ? We are
talking about a huge 0.9 meter x 2.4 meter thing, which probably is
viewed at a few meters distance.
--

Alfred Molon

Savidge4 10-15-2003 08:12 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

I print 3x8 foot posters with some regularity. I have a HP 5000 60" plotter.
Generally speaking the 200 DPI mark that was already suggested is pretty much
on target. but you can get away with less dpi depending on the viewing
distance. If you happen to be placing the print in a room that is only 12 x 12
you can not get the required viewing distance and will obviosly need to
increase the DPI of the image to get a "good" looking print.

there are some tricks to getting a good quality print of that size. generally
speaking the company that will be doing the print will have a high end RIP that
can do very sofisticated up scalling so will not need a 7200 x 19200 image.
more than likely you can deliver a 1800 x 4800 image at 200 dpi and allow them
to do the upscaling and get good to great results. I would suggest contacting
the company you will be using to do the print to get the required specs for an
image.

hope that helps!

Crownfield 10-15-2003 10:07 PM

Darrell Larose wrote:

> depends on the viewing distance, and how the poster is being reproduced.
> Photos are are about 200 dpi. Using that standard 200 dpi x 96"= 19,200x 200
> dpi x 36= 7,200 so to look like a photo up close it would need to be
> 19,200x7,200= 138,240,000 so that looks like a bigass file.

or try 50-75 dpi.

Ken Burns 10-15-2003 11:10 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

A common screen used for offset printing posters is 133LPI.

KB

Don Stauffer 10-16-2003 01:53 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

Unless you are using a very expensive professional digital studio
camera, you will be hard pressed for pixels. Use all you have. Image
should have as high a resolution as you can get. It is not really dpi
you are worried about- it is total pixels. Dpi will be automatically
defaulted to size of print and number of total pixels you have.

Alfred Molon wrote:

> What dpi are customary in the publishing world for a 3 x 8 feet poster
> print ? Obviously not the 300 dpi used for books - perhaps 100 dpi ?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Don Stauffer in Minnesota
stauffer@usfamily.net

Ed Ruf 10-16-2003 02:25 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:53:00 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
<stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote:

>Unless you are using a very expensive professional digital studio
>camera, you will be hard pressed for pixels.

Do not forget one can easily stitch together multiple images to create
a hi-res original for such purposes.
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (EGRuf@cox.net)
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Alfred Molon 10-16-2003 06:21 PM

Re: What resolution for poster size prints ?

In article <pfatovobq0tkgauka64kjnkqjr0jldhrub@4ax.com>,
nospam*egruf@cox.net says...
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:53:00 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
> <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote:
>
> >Unless you are using a very expensive professional digital studio
> >camera, you will be hard pressed for pixels.

> Do not forget one can easily stitch together multiple images to create
> a hi-res original for such purposes.

Exactly. I have some panos with over 20 MP, made by stiching together
individual 5 MP images.
--

Alfred Molon