Velocity Reviews

-   -   Image storage device (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t245209-image-storage-device.html)

Code Developer 10-08-2003 01:38 PM

Image storage device

I'm after a device that will read images from a memory stick pro and store
them on an internal HD.

Now I know that some of the Archos Jukeboxes are capable of doing this with
an optional card reader, but I'm not bothered about storing MP3 music or
viewing images. I simply want to be able to transfer images from the memory
stick, allowing me to re-use it when I'm out with the camera.

I'm after something with a capacity of around 5Gb
Memory Stick Pro compatible.
Can connect to the PC via USB2.0 or Firewire.
No more than 200 (I'm in the UK)

Is there anything out there that would be suitable?

Cheers,
Shaun.

Twoflower 10-08-2003 09:08 PM

Re: Image storage device

I have just bought an X-Drive II. Very basic. Bung in the card, hit the copy
button and wait for the double beep. No preview it just does it. If the copy
has an error you get a warning symbol and you can copy again. (the device
doesnt erase the card, you do it with the camera format after..)

it's also USB2 which you need for 40GB version we have and loads of canon
D60 pictures.

we bought ours from fotosense.co.uk and it was 243 for 40GB!

Prices are here if you want to have a look... Good reviews on dpreview swung
it for us (we are both digi users and fill a 1GB microdrive in an
afternoon!)

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/digitalstoragebins.html

you want the XS-II for the USB 2 support or it wil crawl. If you are willing
to save the money they go for version one.

Twoflower

--
_________________________________

On the web http://twofloweronline.co.uk

remove no spam from email to reply!
"Code Developer" <codedeveloper2002withoutthisbit@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
message news:bm13vk$h8vm6$1@ID-166846.news.uni-berlin.de...

Rafe B. 10-09-2003 02:07 AM

Re: Image storage device

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:38:40 +0100, "Code Developer"
<codedeveloper2002withoutthisbit@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm after a device that will read images from a memory stick pro and store
>them on an internal HD.
>
>Now I know that some of the Archos Jukeboxes are capable of doing this with
>an optional card reader, but I'm not bothered about storing MP3 music or
>viewing images. I simply want to be able to transfer images from the memory
>stick, allowing me to re-use it when I'm out with the camera.
>
>I'm after something with a capacity of around 5Gb
>Memory Stick Pro compatible.
>Can connect to the PC via USB2.0 or Firewire.
>No more than 200 (I'm in the UK)
>
>Is there anything out there that would be suitable?

ImageTank G1.5. $170 US with a 20 gig drive.

see www.mydigitaldiscount.com

Not sure about the memory stick, though -- the
unit I'm talking about accepts CF and SmartMedia.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Code Developer 10-09-2003 08:51 AM

Re: Image storage device

"Twoflower" <no-spam-thanks-twoflower@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I have just bought an X-Drive II. Very basic. Bung in the card, hit the

copy
> button and wait for the double beep. No preview it just does it. If the

copy
> has an error you get a warning symbol and you can copy again. (the device
> doesnt erase the card, you do it with the camera format after..)

Will this device read memory stick Pro as well as standard memory sticks
though?

Who manufactures it?

Cheers,
Shaun.

G 10-09-2003 01:34 PM

Re: Image storage device

"Code Developer" <codedeveloper2002withoutthisbit@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
message news:bm13vk$h8vm6$1@ID-166846.news.uni-berlin.de...
> I'm after a device that will read images from a memory stick pro and store
> them on an internal HD.
>
> Now I know that some of the Archos Jukeboxes are capable of doing this

with
> an optional card reader, but I'm not bothered about storing MP3 music or
> viewing images. I simply want to be able to transfer images from the

memory
> stick, allowing me to re-use it when I'm out with the camera.
>
> I'm after something with a capacity of around 5Gb
> Memory Stick Pro compatible.
> Can connect to the PC via USB2.0 or Firewire.
> No more than 200 (I'm in the UK)
>
> Is there anything out there that would be suitable?
>
> Cheers,
> Shaun.

If you buy one,
http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/ProdSD...ucts&ProdID=10
42
let us know how it performs.

Code Developer 10-09-2003 01:40 PM

Re: Image storage device

"G" <gpnomapson@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If you buy one,

http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/ProdSD...ucts&ProdID=10
> 42
> let us know how it performs.

Just what I'm after, cheers.

(and I will)

Regards,
Shaun.

Michael Meissner 10-10-2003 02:24 AM

Re: Image storage device

"Code Developer" <codedeveloper2002withoutthisbit@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> "Twoflower" <no-spam-thanks-twoflower@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have just bought an X-Drive II. Very basic. Bung in the card, hit the

> copy
> > button and wait for the double beep. No preview it just does it. If the

> copy
> > has an error you get a warning symbol and you can copy again. (the device
> > doesnt erase the card, you do it with the camera format after..)

> Will this device read memory stick Pro as well as standard memory sticks
> though?

The documentation claims it supports MS pro (but since I've only used
smartmedia and compact flash I can't say personally if it supports it).

> Who manufactures it?

The company that makes it is Vosonic, which is evidently located in Taiwan.

http://www.vosonic.com.tw/

Note, if you buy it, you might want to buy it from a dealer that provides
support, since Vosonic doesn't seem to care to deal with end users. You also
might want to upgrade the firmware. With the original firmware, any vibrations
would kill the copy, the new firmware is much better, but you need a Windows 98
or Windows 2000 system to do the upgrade.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org