Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tokina Lens Quality (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t244649-tokina-lens-quality.html)

Mark C 09-30-2003 02:57 PM

Tokina Lens Quality

I am considering the purchase of the following lens. Is there anybody here
in the newsgroup that can speak to the quaility of this lens.

Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro Autofocus Lens for
Canon EOS

Thanx,
Mark
Nashville, tN

Mark C 09-30-2003 04:58 PM

Re: Tokina Lens Quality

I am also considering the Tamaron AF2.8 28 to 75mm LDXR Aspherical
SP....lens....which is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the tokina.

any thoughts?

Mark

David Dyer-Bennet 09-30-2003 05:29 PM

Re: Tokina Lens Quality

"Mark C" <mc1@wallerlaw.com> writes:

> I am considering the purchase of the following lens. Is there anybody here
> in the newsgroup that can speak to the quaility of this lens.
>
> Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro Autofocus Lens for
> Canon EOS

I've had what I believe is the predecessor to that lens, the ATX pro
28-70 f2.6-2.8, since 1994. The only things wrong with it is that
it's not wide enough on my digital body and not long enough on my film
bodies :-). Other than that it's an excellent lens.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Martin Francis 09-30-2003 06:45 PM

Re: Tokina Lens Quality

"Mark C" <mc1@wallerlaw.com> wrote in message
> I am considering the purchase of the following lens. Is there anybody

here
> in the newsgroup that can speak to the quaility of this lens.
>
> Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro Autofocus Lens

for
> Canon EOS

Apparently excellent, although my own experience is with the Tokina
28-70/2.8. There is a current version of this one (the 28-70/2.8 Pro SV)
which is smaller than the 28-80, and feels better than the Tokina. Optically
speaking there is probably little to seperate them; if you're buying
constant f2.8 glass, you're buying at a higher level than the standard
zooms. I imagine even Sigma make good f2.8 zooms, although whether they can
make them work with new cameras is another thing...

--
Martin
Staring at C:\ prompts since 1993