Velocity Reviews

-   -   Do i have to crop my photos before having them printed? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t244539-do-i-have-to-crop-my-photos-before-having-them-printed.html)

Kevin 09-29-2003 12:55 PM

Do i have to crop my photos before having them printed?

I know that the shots from my A70 are 2048 x 1536 and in 4:3 ratio.
And since i'm going to be ordering 4x6 shots, somethign is going to be
cropped.

If i just send in my shots (to something like Futureshop or
photolab.ca) what exactly will happen? Do they arbitrarily crop them
for me?

I'd rather not have to for this current bunch of shots since none are
that spectacular, but should i still crop all my photos to 6:4 ratio
before sending them in?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andrew McDonald 09-29-2003 02:26 PM

Re: Do i have to crop my photos before having them printed?

Kevin wrote:
> If i just send in my shots (to something like Futureshop or
> photolab.ca) what exactly will happen? Do they arbitrarily crop them
> for me?

Generally the answer is yes, they will simply lop off the top and bottom
of the shot.

> I'd rather not have to for this current bunch of shots since none are
> that spectacular, but should i still crop all my photos to 6:4 ratio
> before sending them in?

If you want some control over what get's cropped then you should do it
yourself.

The other option is to use a service like www.clubphoto.com which can do
prints that are the same ration as your digital camera (4:3).

Jason O'Rourke 09-30-2003 02:38 AM

Kevin <kevins_news@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>I know that the shots from my A70 are 2048 x 1536 and in 4:3 ratio.
>And since i'm going to be ordering 4x6 shots, somethign is going to be
>cropped.

My practice is to crop to 2040x1360 (200dpi at 340lpi in photoshop) when
doing 4x6" printing. If the machine is going to print your's automatically,
I suspect it will cut top and bottom equally. This of course may not be
what you want.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

09-30-2003 09:46 AM

Re: Do i have to crop my photos before having them printed?

Alternatively use a lab which offers 4/3 ratio print sizes. Theres plenty
off them (I use www.bonusprint.com which is in the UK) and they are decent
quality prints.