Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to reset ink levels on refilling - Canon i950? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t244237-how-to-reset-ink-levels-on-refilling-canon-i950.html)

Olin K. McDaniel 09-23-2003 09:08 PM

How to reset ink levels on refilling - Canon i950?

To any who has this printer - I recently bought one, and have had to
refill 3 of the ink chambers. The ink level indicator (which shows
only when actually printing, by the way) was correctly reset on the
first one of these 3 refilled. The other 2 have not been reset at
all. Can anyone explain why this may be? Second question - how can I
get the level indicator to show at times other than when printing.

As a thought, just came to me as I type this, the one that reset was
the first to go empty and gave the empty message. The other 2 had not
quite reached that point, so did not get a message on them. Could
that explain why only the first reset? If so, how can I convince the
others to show being refilled, or reset?

By the way, this is a really great printer for photographs, in my
opinion. My favorite papers to date are Ilford Galerie and Office
Depot Prem High Gloss Photo paper (believed to actually be Konica).

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

Tom 09-23-2003 11:45 PM

Re: How to reset ink levels on refilling - Canon i950?

"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> To any who has this printer - I recently bought one, and have had to
> refill 3 of the ink chambers. The ink level indicator (which shows
> only when actually printing, by the way) was correctly reset on the
> first one of these 3 refilled. The other 2 have not been reset at
> all. Can anyone explain why this may be? Second question - how can I
> get the level indicator to show at times other than when printing.
>
> As a thought, just came to me as I type this, the one that reset was
> the first to go empty and gave the empty message. The other 2 had not
> quite reached that point, so did not get a message on them. Could
> that explain why only the first reset? If so, how can I convince the
> others to show being refilled, or reset?
>
> By the way, this is a really great printer for photographs, in my
> opinion. My favorite papers to date are Ilford Galerie and Office
> Depot Prem High Gloss Photo paper (believed to actually be Konica).
>
> Olin McDaniel

You can't, at least to my knowledge, force a reset of the tank levels
indicator (I have a S9000), nor is there any reason to.

Unless the tank runs dry, the software "guesses" at the level. When the
tank empties, however, the prism reflected light beam in the bottom of the
tank causes the 'empty' indicator to come on which is replaced by a 'full'
indicator when the prism light beam goes out (when you pit a full tank
in)...

But that does not matter. The ink levels are so easy to check visually,
that relying on the indicator lights is not necessary.

By the way, I found through MUCH use and practice that you get longer
cartridge refill life if you refill before the tank completly empties
anyway. Also, try and keep the tanks upright as one of the tank failure
modes is to clog the vent breather on the top of the tank with dried ink.

I have had tanks last through literally scores (probably hundreds) of
refilling cycles. I tried to keep track of the number of refills per set of
tanks once and gave up as it was getting rediculous.

Tom

Olin K. McDaniel 09-24-2003 02:37 AM

Re: How to reset ink levels on refilling - Canon i950?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:45:45 GMT, "Tom"
<seaskate32043@removethis.yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>news:3f70afc3.3673881@news.east.earthlink.net.. .
>> To any who has this printer - I recently bought one, and have had to
>> refill 3 of the ink chambers. The ink level indicator (which shows
>> only when actually printing, by the way) was correctly reset on the
>> first one of these 3 refilled. The other 2 have not been reset at
>> all. Can anyone explain why this may be? Second question - how can I
>> get the level indicator to show at times other than when printing.
>>
>> As a thought, just came to me as I type this, the one that reset was
>> the first to go empty and gave the empty message. The other 2 had not
>> quite reached that point, so did not get a message on them. Could
>> that explain why only the first reset? If so, how can I convince the
>> others to show being refilled, or reset?
>>
>> By the way, this is a really great printer for photographs, in my
>> opinion. My favorite papers to date are Ilford Galerie and Office
>> Depot Prem High Gloss Photo paper (believed to actually be Konica).
>>
>> Olin McDaniel

>You can't, at least to my knowledge, force a reset of the tank levels
>indicator (I have a S9000), nor is there any reason to.

I believe there might be a reason, see further below.

>Unless the tank runs dry, the software "guesses" at the level. When the
>tank empties, however, the prism reflected light beam in the bottom of the
>tank causes the 'empty' indicator to come on which is replaced by a 'full'
>indicator when the prism light beam goes out (when you pit a full tank
>in)...

Well, the software "guessing" goes awry when it gets refilled without
being reset, doesn't it?

>But that does not matter. The ink levels are so easy to check visually,
>that relying on the indicator lights is not necessary.

After you pointed this out, I tried checking them. And, yes, if I
take a good flashlight to illuminate them from directly above, I can
then see the liquid level. Otherwise, I must unlatch each one and
lift it a small distance to see the level - this in a room lit with
normal ceiling incandescent lighting.

>By the way, I found through MUCH use and practice that you get longer
>cartridge refill life if you refill before the tank completly empties
>anyway. Also, try and keep the tanks upright as one of the tank failure
>modes is to clog the vent breather on the top of the tank with dried ink.

Good point re the clogged vent breathers. But your experience of the
extended life is what I referred to above - this seems like an
important reason to know the level is near empty before it actually
reports it as empty, isn't it? OR is there enough left in the sponge
to avoid problems if refilled promptly after notification?

>I have had tanks last through literally scores (probably hundreds) of
>refilling cycles. I tried to keep track of the number of refills per set of
>tanks once and gave up as it was getting rediculous.
>
>Tom

Thanks for your insight and experience. As noted in my original post,
I'm using a Canon printer for the first time, all my previous ones
were HP.

Olin

Tom 09-24-2003 08:49 PM

> >You can't, at least to my knowledge, force a reset of the tank levels
> >indicator (I have a S9000), nor is there any reason to.

> I believe there might be a reason, see further below.
> >
> >Unless the tank runs dry, the software "guesses" at the level. When the
> >tank empties, however, the prism reflected light beam in the bottom of

the
> >tank causes the 'empty' indicator to come on which is replaced by a

'full'
> >indicator when the prism light beam goes out (when you pit a full tank
> >in)...
> >

> Well, the software "guessing" goes awry when it gets refilled without
> being reset, doesn't it?

Yes it does, but as I said... so what?

> >But that does not matter. The ink levels are so easy to check visually,
> >that relying on the indicator lights is not necessary.

> After you pointed this out, I tried checking them. And, yes, if I
> take a good flashlight to illuminate them from directly above, I can
> then see the liquid level. Otherwise, I must unlatch each one and
> lift it a small distance to see the level - this in a room lit with
> normal ceiling incandescent lighting.

Forget the flashlight. It takes about two seconds to pop a tank out, look
at it and pop it back. You want to refill before they get empty anyway.

You will find with experience that the PM and PC tanks are the ones that run
out the quickest.

> Good point re the clogged vent breathers. But your experience of the
> extended life is what I referred to above - this seems like an
> important reason to know the level is near empty before it actually
> reports it as empty, isn't it?

Correct, so check them visually, refilll before they get empty. Simple.

Tom