Velocity Reviews

-   -   AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t244126-american-english-vs-british-canadian-or-australian-english.html)

Proud USA Babe 09-22-2003 04:21 AM

AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH

AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH ENGLISH:

I am not unaware of the history of the English language, but I do
strongly feel that the modern American dialect of the English language
is the most efficient. Of course, it took root in England...as did the
Spanish language in the Castilian section of Spain. But not unlike
Spanish, the modern progression English language is not in England,
but in the United States of America.

American English sets the world standard for the modern English
language. The spelling system that evolved in America is more
attractive to new learners of the language, as well as more efficient
and consistent.

To the Brits, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, Irishmen, and
persons of other second-rate countries that use the old spelling and
pronunciation system AKA "British English"....join the 21st century
and start to spell and pronounce English like we do here in the GREAT
OLD USA! AMERICAN POWER!

Jimmy 09-22-2003 04:35 AM

Re: AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH

I am an American, can you spell CRAP? This is exactly what you are spreading.

news:2a88f514.0309212021.455ee783@posting.google.c om...

mike II 09-22-2003 04:42 AM

Jimmy wrote:

> I am an American, can you spell CRAP? This is exactly what you are spreading.

Named after Thomas Crap..English inventer of the first flushable toilet
words...

mike

Dave Swindell 09-22-2003 06:55 AM

Re: AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH

In article <b6vbb.42$ww6.705@jekyl.ab.tac.net>, mike II
<ohmwork@LEOPARDspots.ca> writes
>Jimmy wrote:
>
>> I am an American, can you spell CRAP? This is exactly what you are

>spreading.
>

>Named after Thomas Crap..English inventer of the first flushable toilet
>words...

A nice, if unfortunate and persistent, urban myth. Thomas Crapper's
company was simply the most famous to emerge when water closets became
popular in the 19th century. But your heart's in the right place, and
this troller is patently talking complete and utter.

--
Dave OSOS#24 dswindell.gerbil@tcp.co.uk Remove my gerbil for email replies

Yamaha XJ900S & Wessex sidecar, the sexy one
Yamaha XJ900F & Watsonian Monaco, the comfortable one

http://dswindell.members.beeb.net

William Graham 09-22-2003 07:05 AM

Jimmy <whoknows@nevermind.com> wrote in message
> I am an American, can you spell CRAP? This is exactly what you are

spreading.

Wouldn't that be, "crape"?

Mark Wallace 09-22-2003 07:46 AM

Re: DO NOT REPLY! TROLL ALERT!!!

No, really?

Gosh, I'd never have guessed that it was a troll.

/sigh/

Actually, we get statements like that in alt.usage.english all the time, but
spoken with complete sincerity, so you should think yourselves lucky -- we
don't just get trolls, we get idiots, too.

--
Mark Wallace
For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit:

Mark Wallace 09-22-2003 07:47 AM

mike II wrote:
> Jimmy wrote:
>
>> I am an American, can you spell CRAP? This is exactly what you are
>> spreading.

> Named after Thomas Crap..English inventer of the first flushable
> toilet words...

Thomas Crapper. Check your facts, or you'll be talking crap.

Mark Wallace 09-22-2003 08:13 AM

Dave Swindell wrote:
> In article <b6vbb.42$ww6.705@jekyl.ab.tac.net>, mike II
> <ohmwork@LEOPARDspots.ca> writes
>> Jimmy wrote:
>>
>>> I am an American, can you spell CRAP? This is exactly what you are
>>> spreading.

>> Named after Thomas Crap..English inventer of the first flushable
>> toilet words...
>>

> A nice, if unfortunate and persistent, urban myth. Thomas Crapper's
> company was simply the most famous to emerge when water closets became
> popular in the 19th century.

Yes, because he happened to design and build the first one.

Go figure.

Phill 09-22-2003 08:32 AM

"William Graham" <weg9@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:bbxbb.122686$mp.63590@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.n et...

> Jimmy <whoknows@nevermind.com> wrote in message
> > I am an American, can you spell CRAP? This is exactly what you are

> spreading.
>
> Wouldn't that be, "crape"?

I thought crapes were a sort of pancake eaten by our European friends.

Most people I meet who speak English as a second lanuage speak it with an
Amercain accent.

Lionel 09-22-2003 08:38 AM

Re: DO NOT REPLY! TROLL ALERT!!!

Word has it that on Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:46:35 +0200, in this august
forum, "Mark Wallace" <mwallace@dse.nl> said:

>No, really?
>
>Gosh, I'd never have guessed that it was a troll.
>
>/sigh/
>
>Actually, we get statements like that in alt.usage.english all the time, but
>spoken with complete sincerity, so you should think yourselves lucky -- we
>don't just get trolls, we get idiots, too.

If it makes you feel any better, we get plenty of idiots here as well as
the trolls. That said, there are days when it's quite hard to tell the
difference. (Knowing how to read headers helps a lot, though.)