Velocity Reviews

-   -   Analog / Digital Camera (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t244007-analog-digital-camera.html)

Johnston West 09-19-2003 08:11 PM

Analog / Digital Camera

I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

Paul Fedorenko 09-19-2003 10:57 PM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

>I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
>pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
>anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

About 2 or 3 years ago, I heard rumours of a third-party back that
could be attacked to a Nikon F90 camera, and put a sensor where the
film plane would normally be, dumping the images to memory card, but
it was just rumours. The product was vapourware, and never actually
materialized as far as I know. A shame, really, since I had an F90 at
the time and w as excited about the prospect.

J.A.G 09-20-2003 12:00 AM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

Some cameras like the F5, F4, Hasselbalds, have "digital backs" available
meaning you take off the film cover and then put a cover on that scans the
images and works like a digital camera.

news:7ecb413a.0309191211.b135ca7@posting.google.co m...

Stewy 09-20-2003 02:10 AM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

hahaha. Try using two cameras

Steven M. Scharf 09-20-2003 05:07 AM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

"Johnston West" <johnston_west@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:7ecb413a.0309191211.b135ca7@posting.google.co m...
> I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
> pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
> anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

Not exactly, but you could look into Silicon Film.
http://www.siliconfilm.com/

This will be such a great product when it comes out.
Of course it is never coming out, but other than that
it will be great. Maybe if you could invest a little, it
would speed things along.

Johnston West 09-20-2003 07:51 AM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

"Stewy" <anyone4tennis1@lycos.com> wrote in message

> hahaha. Try using two cameras

I have tried that......... but my eyes are too close together to see
through both viewfinders at the same time.... "boom! crash!" ........
<g>

Ron Andrews 09-20-2003 03:12 PM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

"Johnston West" <johnston_west@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:7ecb413a.0309191211.b135ca7@posting.google.co m...
> I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
> pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
> anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

Kodak still offers a preview camera:
http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCata...Preview+Camera
It is an Advantix camera with a low res digital sensor and LCD preview
screen. While this camera does allow you to view the image you just captured
on film, there is no way to capture the digital image file.
Kodak announced and then unannounced a dual digital/film camera. They
claimed that there was no way to make such a camera and earn a profit.

Jim Townsend 09-20-2003 06:28 PM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

Johnston West wrote:

> I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
> pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........ Does
> anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

They make digital backs for some cameras.. They're very expensive and you
can't use them simultaneously with film..

Graham 09-20-2003 06:46 PM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

Johnston West wrote:
> I still like to shoot film, but I'd love to be able to "back up" my
> pictures digitally, and have instant viewing of my shots........
> Does anyone make a combination 35mm Film/Digital body?

Probably the closest you will get to this is a pair of camera bodies,
one 35mm, one digital, which can share the same lenses, such as a Canon
10D and a Canon EOS 35mm body, but even then, differences in the size of
the digital image sensor and the 35mm film mean you do not get the same
image from each camera.

Otherwise, perhaps use a cheapish digital point and shoot with full
manual control such as the Canon A60/A70/A80 (2Mp/3.2Mp/4Mp)?

Paul Fedorenko 09-20-2003 07:04 PM

Re: Analog / Digital Camera

>They make digital backs for some cameras.. They're very expensive and you
>can't use them simultaneously with film..

Someone actually made them, eh? Like I said in a previous post, I was
looking for one for a Nikon F90 a couple years back, but the thing
never got past the rumour stage.