Velocity Reviews

-   -   Flatbed scanner recommendations for scanning film (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t243445-flatbed-scanner-recommendations-for-scanning-film.html)

Mark Levison 09-11-2003 06:38 PM

Flatbed scanner recommendations for scanning film

I'm looking for a flatbed scanner to scan 35mm slides and negatives
(occasionally even artwork). In a perfect world I would buy a Nikon
Coolscan 4000, but with our first baby on that much money just isn't
an option. Even Canon's option is just too expensive at $1000 (CDN)

I was considering an Epson Perfection 3170, but a few people have
complained about soft focus problems. In addition its on VueScan's
unsupported list. The Epson 3200 at $579 (CDN) is a still a bit
expensive.

My needs:
- 48 bits color
- at least 2400 x 2400 dpi
- DMax 3.3+
- Focuses properly on the slide holder
- Compatible with VueScan
- Price < $400 (CDN)

Please share your recommendations or pointers to reviews written
for/by photographers.

Thanks
Mark Levison

kay 09-12-2003 06:26 AM

Re: Flatbed scanner recommendations for scanning film

Flatbeds? None, really. Check out the Minolta Dimage's, you'll find
excellent $500 machines.

news:579dff4a.0309111038.932b7cd@posting.google.co m...

Monica Krowley 09-12-2003 01:23 PM

Re: Flatbed scanner recommendations for scanning film

Wrong newsgroup, you stupid ****ing asshole!

Azzz1588 09-12-2003 01:34 PM

Re: Flatbed scanner recommendations for scanning film

In article <579dff4a.0309111038.932b7cd@posting.google.com> ,
levisonmark@hotmail.com (Mark Levison) writes:

>I was considering an Epson Perfection 3170, but a few people have
>complained about soft focus problems.

No problems here with mine. I've been happily scanning slides at 6400 dpi
and having no problems. No soft focus problems at all !!

Same with all the photo's and negitives I've been scanning.