Velocity Reviews

-   -   Slide/Film scanner question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t243360-slide-film-scanner-question.html)

Paul J Ruiz 09-10-2003 12:47 PM

Slide/Film scanner question

I just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual III. It will scan at 8, 16 or
16 bit linear. It was packaged with Adobe Elements, which will not
handle 16 bit scans. Surprise, Surprise! Of course, I would like to scan
at 16 bit and edit before printing. What program will handle 16 bit
scans? What is "16 bit linear"?

Many thanks for any info.

Paul J Ruiz

Robert Feinman 09-10-2003 01:36 PM

Re: Slide/Film scanner question

look at shareware program viewscan. This will do what you want to control scanner.
16 bits is good for making extensive color adjustments without posterizing the
image. You convert to 8 bit before printing. You'll need to get a better editing
program.
I have some tips on my web site about optimizing images in both the scanning and
printing stages.
Look under the tips section on my home page.

--
Robert D Feinman
robertdfeinman@netscape.net

Jon Bell 09-10-2003 02:13 PM

Re: Slide/Film scanner question

In article <bjn6gf$532$1@news.datasync.com>,
Paul J Ruiz <ruizpaul@i-55.com> wrote:

> [...] What program will handle 16 bit scans?

Photoshop Elements's predecessor, Photoshop 5.0 LE, can handle them.
Maybe you can dig up a copy somewhere. Of course the full Photoshop will
also work.

--
Jon Bell <jtbellap8@presby.edu> Presbyterian College

David Dyer-Bennet 09-10-2003 03:55 PM

Paul J Ruiz <ruizpaul@i-55.com> writes:

> I just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual III. It will scan at 8, 16 or
> 16 bit linear. It was packaged with Adobe Elements, which will not
> handle 16 bit scans. Surprise, Surprise! Of course, I would like to
> scan at 16 bit and edit before printing. What program will handle 16
> bit scans? What is "16 bit linear"?

Picture Window Pro (www.dl-c.com) will do everything in 16 bit. It
also has the best brightness curve tools, and the best color
correction tools, of any program I've used.

And of course full Photoshop will do a few things in 16 bit, too.

Don't know precisely what they mean by 16-bit linear; probably no
gamma?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Ed E. 09-10-2003 04:16 PM