Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t243082-canon-ef-28-200mm-f-3-5-5-6-usm.html)

Jerry 09-06-2003 06:38 PM

Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

Is there a reason why this lens doesn't have IS?

Thanks in advance!

See ya...Jerry

Jaroslaw Banachowicz 09-06-2003 07:07 PM

Re: Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

Jerry wrote:
> Is there a reason why this lens doesn't have IS?

It would make it twice as expensive... and a killer for EF 28-135 USM IS.
--
Jaroslaw Banachowicz

Tony Spadaro 09-06-2003 11:41 PM

Re: Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

Yes there is.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Jerry 09-07-2003 03:03 AM

Re: Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

In article <bjdb8k$g6e$05$1@news.t-online.com>, REMOVE-ITbanjar1@lido.net
says...

[snip]

>It would make it twice as expensive... and a killer for EF 28-135 USM IS.

I was concerned about using this lens and doing sports (football & soccer)
without a tripod.

See ya...Jerry

Todd Walker 09-07-2003 05:17 AM

Re: Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

In article <vll8098eibv286@news.supernews.com>, jerrylaz@pacbell.net
says...
> In article <bjdb8k$g6e$05$1@news.t-online.com>, REMOVE-ITbanjar1@lido.net
> says...
>
> [snip]
>
> >It would make it twice as expensive... and a killer for EF 28-135 USM IS.

> I was concerned about using this lens and doing sports (football & soccer)
> without a tripod.
>
> See ya...Jerry

Use the rule of thumb that says your minimum (slowest) shutter speed
should the the reciprocal of the focal length. So let's say you were
using the 28-200 at the max zoom. On the 10D with the 1.6x multiplier,
that is 320mm. So you need to set your shutter speed to no slower than
1/320 sec. If you are outdoors in the daytime, this should be no
problem. Remember also that you can boost the ISO on the 10D to 800
before you even start to see noise so that helps considerably as well. I
wouldn't worry about using the 28-200 without a tripod.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Monica Krowley 09-07-2003 05:49 AM

Re: Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

Tony is always so helpful.

"Tony Spadaro" <tspadaro@ncmaps.rr.com> wrote

incabloc 09-07-2003 07:34 PM

Re: Canon EF 28-200mm/shutter speed rule of thumb.

I don't agree. The crop in the 10d is the equivalent of taking a picture
with a 35 mm camera and then snipping off the outer few millimeters around
the entire frame. It doesn't matter what is behind the lens capturing the
image or how big it is - if the image is steady enough for full frame then
it is steady enough for a cropped frame. The bottom line is the image
projected by the lens onto the imaging medium hasn't changed at all by
switching cameras and imaging media.

Anyone else care to give their opinion?