Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need info on teleconverters please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t242353-need-info-on-teleconverters-please.html)

rs11 08-29-2003 10:59 PM

Need info on teleconverters please

I have the Nikon D100 along with a few Nikon lenses( which I love by the way). I am thinking of getting a teleconverter to use with my Nikon AF zoom ED 70-300mm lense to use for Long distance shots of birds etc.
My question is, how good are teleconverters as far as sharpness goes?
Any suggestions as to which to get the 1.4x or the 2x?
Are the off brands such eg Tamron as good as the Nikon teleconverters?
Thanks
Bob

Alan F Cross 08-29-2003 11:35 PM

Re: Need info on teleconverters please

In message <290820031617101349%rag@nospam.techline.com>, Randall
Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> writes
>> I have the Nikon D100 along with a few Nikon lenses( which I love by the =
>> way). I am thinking of getting a teleconverter to use with my Nikon AF =
>> zoom ED 70-300mm lense to use for Long distance shots of birds etc.
>> My question is, how good are teleconverters as far as sharpness goes?
>> Any suggestions as to which to get the 1.4x or the 2x?
>> Are the off brands such eg Tamron as good as the Nikon teleconverters?

>Buy the cheapest one you can find. They work great.

Is that really the best advice? The OP is questioning quality. There's
no point in having a high quality lens and crippling it with 'the
cheapest you can get' in TCs.

Some camera manufacturers, IIRC, have different TCs according to which
range of focal lengths they are to work with (this was true of Canon
FDs). So their engineering is not trivial.

Choose the best, and buy from the manufacturer of your lenses.
--
Alan F Cross

JPS@no.komm 08-30-2003 02:00 AM

Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>> I have the Nikon D100 along with a few Nikon lenses( which I love by the =
>> way). I am thinking of getting a teleconverter to use with my Nikon AF =
>> zoom ED 70-300mm lense to use for Long distance shots of birds etc.
>> My question is, how good are teleconverters as far as sharpness goes?
>> Any suggestions as to which to get the 1.4x or the 2x?
>> Are the off brands such eg Tamron as good as the Nikon teleconverters?

>Buy the cheapest one you can find. They work great.

Randall is being sarcastic; he really thinks all teleconverters are
crap. He isn't totally correct, though. High quality in-line
teleconverters (between the camera and lens) can extract more detail
from a lens than a sensor can capture without one, if the lens by itself
has more resolution than the sensor can handle.

You don't get something for nothing, though. It gets very dark inside
the lens with a converter, so it is harder to see, especially if the
main lens is slow to begin with, and the exposures must be greater (2
stops for a 2x, and 1 stop for a 1.4x). Autofocus may fail.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>