Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to read STDOUT from a Perl function (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t24220-how-to-read-stdout-from-a-perl-function.html)

Alfred von Campe 07-30-2003 03:23 PM

How to read STDOUT from a Perl function

I would think this is simple to do, but I just can't figure it out this
morning. Assume I have a function in Perl which writes some output to
STDOUT. I want to call this function from a Perl script and capture its
output in a variable.

If this was an executable or even another Perl script, I could use the
open() function. But since this is a Perl function, I can't use open().
Or can I? There's got be be a way, but my brain is just not cooperating
this morning.

Alfred

Jeff Bars 07-30-2003 09:45 PM

Re: How to read STDOUT from a Perl function

Assuming the function returns a value (and it should):

my $var = function();

or maybe I misread...

-JB

"Alfred von Campe" <alfred@110.net> wrote in message
news:4d599f95.0307300723.4c352f22@posting.google.c om...
> I would think this is simple to do, but I just can't figure it out this
> morning. Assume I have a function in Perl which writes some output to
> STDOUT. I want to call this function from a Perl script and capture its
> output in a variable.
>
> If this was an executable or even another Perl script, I could use the
> open() function. But since this is a Perl function, I can't use open().
> Or can I? There's got be be a way, but my brain is just not cooperating
> this morning.
>
> Alfred

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to news@netfront.net

Gerard Oberle 07-31-2003 03:18 PM

Re: How to read STDOUT from a Perl function

Would something like the following work?

open FOO_IN, "perl -e \'require \"file.pl\"; &subroutine_call();\'"|"
or die "blah blah blah";

while (<FOO_IN>) {...}
close FOO_IN;

- Jerry Oberle
perl -e 'printf "mailto%c%s%c%s%cchase%ccom%c", 58, "Gerard", 46,
"Oberle", 64, 46, 10;'

Alfred von Campe 07-31-2003 08:57 PM

Re: How to read STDOUT from a Perl function

> Would something like the following work?
>
> open FOO_IN, "perl -e \'require \"file.pl\"; &subroutine_call();\'"|"
> or die "blah blah blah";
>
> while (<FOO_IN>) {...}
> close FOO_IN;

Probably (I haven't tested it), but this solution is even uglier than
what I had originally done :-) . It looks like I did not miss something
obvious; this functiononality does not exit in Perl. Basically, what I
want to do is to temporarily assign STDOUT to a Perl variable, so that
everything written to stdout is put in that variable.

Alfred

cr4ft 01-05-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfred von Campe
I would think this is simple to do, but I just can't figure it out this
morning. Assume I have a function in Perl which writes some output to
STDOUT. I want to call this function from a Perl script and capture its
output in a variable.

If this was an executable or even another Perl script, I could use the
open() function. But since this is a Perl function, I can't use open().
Or can I? There's got be be a way, but my brain is just not cooperating
this morning.

Alfred

Can't you just assign the STDOUT to variable?

Something like:
$variable = `echo cat123`;
print $variable;

Best,