Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t242146-re-camera-bags-iis-lowepro-a-good-choice.html)

Biker Dave 08-26-2003 10:20 PM

"PTRAVEL" <ptravelspamtrap@cox.net> wrote in message

> "Jim Waggener" <jimw@visi.net> wrote in message
> > I see this bag on B&H that claims to hold 3 bodies w/lens. Price looks
> > right.
> > Does Lowepro make quality camera bags or should I look elsewhere?

> I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack-style bag which I use for my video
> gear. It's very well made, and intelligently designed. Now I need a new
> bag for my Canon 10D, and I'll be getting another Lowepro.

I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they are
more likely to contain decent kit.

Just something to think of.

--
Biker Dave

Michael Meissner 08-26-2003 10:54 PM

"Biker Dave" <NoSpam@tufftedmcc.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> "PTRAVEL" <ptravelspamtrap@cox.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jim Waggener" <jimw@visi.net> wrote in message
> > > I see this bag on B&H that claims to hold 3 bodies w/lens. Price looks
> > > right.
> > > Does Lowepro make quality camera bags or should I look elsewhere?

> > I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack-style bag which I use for my video
> > gear. It's very well made, and intelligently designed. Now I need a new
> > bag for my Canon 10D, and I'll be getting another Lowepro.
> >

> I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they are
> more likely to contain decent kit.

If you are afraid of somebody stealing your gear, using a diaper bag (possibly
with a padded case inside) might be the way to go. If you put a chocolate bar
in with a diaper inside of a ziploc (tm) bag placed on the top and leave it in
the sun for a bit, it might be even more thief protection. This of course
assumes you have theives targeting specific camera types. I can just imagine a
modern Faggin, gathering the boys around, and saying "Ok, I need 3 Canon 1D's
with L lenses, and also a Fuji S2 -- don't bring me any more of those Canon
Rebels". However, I suspect that most thieves are less discriminating, and
will take what they can get, in order to sell it quickly to get more drugs.

That being said, the two Lowepro bags I've had were both well designed for
their purposes.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

J 08-27-2003 01:55 AM

Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice?

you may have been a victim of a tag team theft...pretty girl may have been
the intended distraction. heh
unless of course you knew her.

> "Biker Dave" <NoSpam@tufftedmcc.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "PTRAVEL" <ptravelspamtrap@cox.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Jim Waggener" <jimw@visi.net> wrote in message

looks

> > > I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack-style bag which I use for my

video
> > > gear. It's very well made, and intelligently designed. Now I need a

> new
> > > bag for my Canon 10D, and I'll be getting another Lowepro.
> > >

> > I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they

> are
> > more likely to contain decent kit.

> I suppose it's possible, but I never let my bag leave my personal
> possession, so it's really not an issue. I use my gear, almost

exclusively,
> for travel videography and photography. I used to use a garden-variety

day
> pack and only started carrying the Lowepro fairly recently. However, I've
> taken it through India, Hong Kong and China without the slightest
> difficulty.
>
> > Just something to think of.

> I agree, though I think the focus (pun intended) should be on keeping

track
> of your gear at all times, e.g. never leave a camera bag sitting in a

locked

PTRAVEL 08-27-2003 02:34 AM

"J" <jecebay@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:VbU2b.40575$ZG2.1002442@wagner.videotron.net. ..
> you may have been a victim of a tag team theft...pretty girl may have been
> the intended distraction. heh
> unless of course you knew her.

I knew her -- she was a classmate. Definitely wasn't worth it. ;)

David French 08-27-2003 08:09 AM

Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice?

"PTRAVEL" <ptravelspamtrap@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they

> are
> > more likely to contain decent kit.

> I suppose it's possible, but I never let my bag leave my personal
> possession, so it's really not an issue. I use my gear, almost

exclusively,
> for travel videography and photography. I used to use a garden-variety

day
> pack and only started carrying the Lowepro fairly recently. However, I've
> taken it through India, Hong Kong and China without the slightest
> difficulty.

If you're worried about losing a bag to a thief, you can also buy shoulder
straps which have wire woven into the fabric, which means they can't be cut
with a knife easily. Although perhaps better to lose your camera than to
have an altercation with a criminal with a knife.

David