Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question about using digital camera for making panoramic pictures. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t241201-question-about-using-digital-camera-for-making-panoramic-pictures.html)

Click 08-15-2003 11:03 PM

Question about using digital camera for making panoramic pictures.

I am well aware that there is a large variety of software program available
to stitch together a series of stills into a large panoramic picture. What
I was wondering just how big a problem is it when things are moving when the
pictures are being taken because something will have moved from the time the
first picture was taken to the next?

--
Thanks in advance

Remove the XXX to reply

Mike Graham 08-15-2003 11:11 PM

Re: Question about using digital camera for making panoramic pictures.

In article <3f3d66ec$0$6526$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, Click wrote:

> I am well aware that there is a large variety of software program available
> to stitch together a series of stills into a large panoramic picture. What
> I was wondering just how big a problem is it when things are moving when the
> pictures are being taken because something will have moved from the time the
> first picture was taken to the next?

I know a guy who is big into panoramic shots. Before he got his fisheye
lens he used to take something like 20 shots to stitch together. He's got
one panorama with the same person sitting in four different places. It's
kind of cool, actually. 8-)

mike@metalmangler.com |

Click 08-15-2003 11:41 PM

Re: Question about using digital camera for making panoramic pictures.

That's fine but if a car or boat is going by or a person or animal is moving
then I guess the only way to fix the moving object is to use a photo editing
program.

Bart van der Wolf 08-16-2003 12:09 AM

"Click" <click@XXXoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:3f3d6f99$0$6528$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au ...
> That's fine but if a car or boat is going by or a person or animal is

moving
> then I guess the only way to fix the moving object is to use a photo

editing
> program.

That's right, and when using a somewhat larger overlap, say 30-50%, you'll
be able and find spots with a single occurance of the moving person/object.
The overlaps are gradient mask blended, so the mask can be adjusted to
in/exclude one or the other image. Sometimes the movement is mostly in one
direction. In that case, shoot the sequential images opposing the flow
direction (or wait till the person/object has moved away far enough).

Bart

jake 08-16-2003 01:09 PM

Re: Question about using digital camera for making panoramic pictures.

In message <3f3d66ec$0$6526$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, Click
<click@XXXoptusnet.com.au> writes
>I am well aware that there is a large variety of software program available
>to stitch together a series of stills into a large panoramic picture. What
>I was wondering just how big a problem is it when things are moving when the
>pictures are being taken because something will have moved from the time the
>first picture was taken to the next?

PhotoVista seems pretty good at handling that situation.

I've often taken panoramas where there's been some movement in the
overlapping portions, and PhotoVista only seems to select one of the
objects that showed movement. i.e. No duplication on the resulting
image.

regards.

--
Jake

Don Stauffer 08-16-2003 05:06 PM

Re: Question about using digital camera for making panoramic pictures.

Yes, it is a problem, but you'll have to live with it. There used to
be, long long time ago, panoramic film camera that actually scanned
slowly. You'd have to stay very still - it was like a time exposure.
Some clever folks used to run around and appear in several places on
pictures of groups of people, like class pictures, etc.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
stauffer@usfamily.net

deryck lant 08-16-2003 07:47 PM

Re: Awesome Sony F828: Subjective prototype report

The message <MPG.19a81ff2fe8790398a425@news-server.jam.rr.com>
from Todd Walker <twalker294@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> In article <2003081612283070814@deryck.com>, deryck@deryck.com says...
> > Awesome camera with amazing image quality.
> > Very low noise results.
> > Colours much improved.
> >

> So where are these pictures with the amazing image quality?

Just a subjective report. I usually find the the info given on
a-digital-eye reliable. They are among the first to publish
pictures. They still have a prototype camera on loan. Most of
the preview sites only had a camera for a few hours.

A 28mm f2 lens is going to be popular with lightweight photo
journalists, but the camera is perilously close in cost to a
DSLR such as your 10D.

Deryck

JK 08-16-2003 08:24 PM

deryck lant wrote:

> The message <MPG.19a81ff2fe8790398a425@news-server.jam.rr.com>
> from Todd Walker <twalker294@hotmail.com> contains these words:
>
> > In article <2003081612283070814@deryck.com>, deryck@deryck.com says...
> > > Awesome camera with amazing image quality.
> > > Very low noise results.
> > > Colours much improved.
> > >

> > So where are these pictures with the amazing image quality?

> Just a subjective report. I usually find the the info given on
> a-digital-eye reliable. They are among the first to publish
> pictures. They still have a prototype camera on loan. Most of
> the preview sites only had a camera for a few hours.
>
> A 28mm f2 lens is going to be popular with lightweight photo
> journalists, but the camera is perilously close in cost to a
> DSLR such as your 10D.

Perhaps not if the list price is $1200, and the street price settles
at around the $800 or so mark in a few months. A real price
of $1200 will be hard to justify, especially if the 10D drops
to under $1200 in a few months. Of course the F828 has
a lens while the 10D doesn't come with one, however that
is still not enough of a price difference to make up for the
added versatility of the 10D. A 10D could be used with a 50mm
f1.4 lens and 1600 ISO for shooting in extremely low light. It could
also be mounted to a telescope or a microscope. It could also
be used with a macro lens and extension tubes.

Robert Mathews 08-17-2003 03:51 AM

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:24:32 -0400, JK <JK9821@netcape.net> wrote:

>deryck lant wrote:
>
>> The message <MPG.19a81ff2fe8790398a425@news-server.jam.rr.com>
>> from Todd Walker <twalker294@hotmail.com> contains these words:
>>
>> > In article <2003081612283070814@deryck.com>, deryck@deryck.com says...
>> > >

>> > So where are these pictures with the amazing image quality?

>> Just a subjective report. I usually find the the info given on
>> a-digital-eye reliable. They are among the first to publish
>> pictures. They still have a prototype camera on loan. Most of
>> the preview sites only had a camera for a few hours.
>>
>> A 28mm f2 lens is going to be popular with lightweight photo
>> journalists, but the camera is perilously close in cost to a
>> DSLR such as your 10D.

>Perhaps not if the list price is $1200, and the street price settles
>at around the $800 or so mark in a few months. A real price
>of $1200 will be hard to justify, especially if the 10D drops
>to under $1200 in a few months. Of course the F828 has
>a lens while the 10D doesn't come with one, however that
>is still not enough of a price difference to make up for the
>added versatility of the 10D. A 10D could be used with a 50mm
>f1.4 lens and 1600 ISO for shooting in extremely low light. It could
>also be mounted to a telescope or a microscope. It could also
>be used with a macro lens and extension tubes.
>

>> Deryck

I thought that the 10D lacked far to many features that the Sony has, like
Spot Meter , Image Pre-view, Histogram etc..

I think this is problem with all DSLR's..

David Dyer-Bennet 08-17-2003 06:11 AM

Robert Mathews <r.math@nopost.com> writes:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:24:32 -0400, JK <JK9821@netcape.net> wrote:
>

> >deryck lant wrote:
> >
> >> The message <MPG.19a81ff2fe8790398a425@news-server.jam.rr.com>
> >> from Todd Walker <twalker294@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> >> Just a subjective report. I usually find the the info given on
> >> a-digital-eye reliable. They are among the first to publish
> >> pictures. They still have a prototype camera on loan. Most of
> >> the preview sites only had a camera for a few hours.
> >>
> >> A 28mm f2 lens is going to be popular with lightweight photo
> >> journalists, but the camera is perilously close in cost to a
> >> DSLR such as your 10D.

> >Perhaps not if the list price is $1200, and the street price settles
> >at around the $800 or so mark in a few months. A real price
> >of $1200 will be hard to justify, especially if the 10D drops
> >to under $1200 in a few months. Of course the F828 has
> >a lens while the 10D doesn't come with one, however that
> >is still not enough of a price difference to make up for the
> >added versatility of the 10D. A 10D could be used with a 50mm
> >f1.4 lens and 1600 ISO for shooting in extremely low light. It could
> >also be mounted to a telescope or a microscope. It could also
> >be used with a macro lens and extension tubes.

> I thought that the 10D lacked far to many features that the Sony has, like
> Spot Meter , Image Pre-view, Histogram etc..
>
> I think this is problem with all DSLR's..

You're very wrong. The LCD preview is generally lacking on the DSLRs,
yes (there's this mirror in the way). However, my Fuji S2, the Nikon
D100, and the Nikon D1 all have spot meter and histogram. (I don't
comment on the Canon models due to ignorance; maybe the 10D *does*
lack those things, but actually I doubt my friend who owns one would
be happy with it if it did.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>