Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t240638-new-fuji-camera-creates-new-laws-of-physics.html)

Robert Feinman 08-07-2003 05:34 PM

New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 
There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in photo
magazines this month.
It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that they strike
the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach the
corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.

The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at the
focal point.
Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?

If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.

--
Robert D Feinman
robertdfeinman@netscape.net
Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com


Marvin Margoshes 08-07-2003 06:16 PM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 

"Robert Feinman" <robertdfeinman@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:1060277638.774837@nntp.acecape.com...
> There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

photo
> magazines this month.
> It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that they

strike
> the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach the
> corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
>
> The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

the
> focal point.
> Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
>
> If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
> perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> robertdfeinman@netscape.net
> Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com
>


Marketing and advertising people don't always check their ideas with the
technical people in the company - the ones who know.



Tony Spadaro 08-07-2003 06:56 PM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 
Fuji is also the inventor of the 3 megapixel camera that produces a 6
megapixel file. They are obviously so far in advance of the rest of the
world that mere physics cannot stand in their way.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
New email - Contact on the Menyou page.
"Marvin Margoshes" <physnospamchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
news:vj55s45e4rdo3a@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Robert Feinman" <robertdfeinman@netscape.net> wrote in message
> news:1060277638.774837@nntp.acecape.com...
> > There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

> photo
> > magazines this month.
> > It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> > transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> > The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that

they
> strike
> > the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach

the
> > corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
> >
> > The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

> the
> > focal point.
> > Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
> >
> > If they want to claim something about their lens design (less

vignetting,
> > perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.
> >
> > --
> > Robert D Feinman
> > robertdfeinman@netscape.net
> > Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com
> >

>
> Marketing and advertising people don't always check their ideas with the
> technical people in the company - the ones who know.
>
>




Matt Clara 08-07-2003 07:04 PM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 

"Victor Bazarov" <v.Abazarov@attAbi.com> wrote in message
news:vj54lucf63cuff@corp.supernews.com...
> "Robert Feinman" <robertdfeinman@netscape.net> wrote...
> > There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

> photo
> > magazines this month.
> > It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> > transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> > The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that

they
> strike
> > the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach

the
> > corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
> >
> > The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

> the
> > focal point.
> > Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
> >
> > If they want to claim something about their lens design (less

vignetting,
> > perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.

>
> Wait, wait. What if just before the sensor you install some kind
> of Fresnel lens that makes the cone of light coming from the lens
> to become the cylinder? Is that not possible?


The only type of light I know with (nearly) parallel rays is called a laser.
Sometimes known as collimated light.



Luke 08-07-2003 07:40 PM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 
>
> The only type of light I know with (nearly) parallel rays is called a

laser.
> Sometimes known as collimated light.
>


Ever heard of sun light? As near to parallel as makes no difference in most
situations.

collimated light is not a laser.

A laser produces light in which the photos are in phse with each other. That
remains true even if the beam is spread so that the paths are no longer
parallel.

Luke



Luke 08-07-2003 08:10 PM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 
>
> If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
> perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.
>


No doubt the marketers screwed this up slightly, I havn't seen the advert
but this sounds very like a kind of field flattener. These lenses are added
to telescopes to improve sharpness at the edge of an image when taking
photographs.

They work by increasing the angle at which light strikes the sensor (CCD or
film) towards the edge of the image to reduce bluring.

If I recall my astronomy lectures correctly the focal length on some of
these lens varies along the radius so your standard optical equations are
not going to give you much insight into their functioning.

I guess fuji have come up with some way of making this useful in a compact
camera but I doubt its going to revolutionise photography.

Luke



ZZ@fake.not 08-07-2003 08:11 PM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 
eDigital Photo shows the Olympus E1 SLR showing light rays
impacting the CCD in parallel. Is this it?
Gene Gene http://www.photoprojects.net



Robert Feinman wrote:

> There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in photo
> magazines this month.
> It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that they strike
> the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach the
> corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
>
> The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at the
> focal point.
> Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
>
> If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
> perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> robertdfeinman@netscape.net
> Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com



Rudy Garcia 08-08-2003 02:10 AM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 
In article <SoxYa.1879450$mA4.263868@news.easynews.com>,
"Matt Clara" <no.emailz@this.guys.expense> wrote:

> "Victor Bazarov" <v.Abazarov@attAbi.com> wrote in message
> news:vj54lucf63cuff@corp.supernews.com...
> > "Robert Feinman" <robertdfeinman@netscape.net> wrote...
> > > There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

> > photo
> > > magazines this month.
> > > It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> > > transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> > > The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that

> they
> > strike
> > > the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach

> the
> > > corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
> > >
> > > The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

> > the
> > > focal point.
> > > Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
> > >
> > > If they want to claim something about their lens design (less

> vignetting,
> > > perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.

> >
> > Wait, wait. What if just before the sensor you install some kind
> > of Fresnel lens that makes the cone of light coming from the lens
> > to become the cylinder? Is that not possible?

>
> The only type of light I know with (nearly) parallel rays is called a laser.
> Sometimes known as collimated light.


Collimated light doesn't require a laser, in fact there have been
optical benches using collimated light long before lasers were invented.
You are confusing coherence with collimation.

--
Rudy Garcia


Bruce Murphy 08-08-2003 03:30 AM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 
"Matt Clara" <no.emailz@this.guys.expense> writes:

> Collimation is one property of laser light.


Collimation is a property of *some ways of generating laser light* and
even then it's not perfect collimation. Since most laser profiles are
gaussian anyway, the ray-optics concept of collimation is one of these
kindegarten (or undergraduate) lies-to-children.

B>

David J. Littleboy 08-08-2003 04:10 AM

Re: New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics
 

"Bruce Murphy" <pack-news@rattus.net> wrote in message
news:m2r83wesgy.fsf@fruitbat.ee.uwa.edu.au...
> "Matt Clara" <no.emailz@this.guys.expense> writes:
>
> > Collimation is one property of laser light.

>
> Collimation is a property of *some ways of generating laser light* and
> even then it's not perfect collimation. Since most laser profiles are
> gaussian anyway, the ray-optics concept of collimation is one of these
> kindegarten (or undergraduate) lies-to-children.


Physics is the study of frictionless elephants whose masses may be ignored.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.