Velocity Reviews

-   -   high resolution problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t240631-high-resolution-problem.html)

Tom Thompson 08-07-2003 02:58 PM

high resolution problem

I am just getting into digital photography, having been an old
fashioned photographer for many years. I have a Minolta Dimage F100.

The problem I am having is that when I have set the camera at high
image size (2272 x 1704)and resolution (super fine), it takes an
inordinately long time to save after each shot. So much so it defeats
my purposes. I can't wait for the 15-20 seconds it takes to save (or
retrieve).

Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Dreamer 08-07-2003 03:06 PM

Re: high resolution problem

"Tom Thompson" <tglennt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5a28709b.0308070658.7cf5122f@posting.google.c om...

> Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
> doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.

You're not doing anything wrong, and it is a problem with most consumer or
"prosumer" digital cameras. You are correct in what you are waiting for is
for the camera to write the image from its RAM buffer to your flash card.

You could try getting a different flash card and see if that helps, but
don't buy one of the super-duper fast ones, because your camera can't take
advantage of their super-duper fast writing capability without the proper
software, which your camera probably doesn't have.

I know your camera has a TIFF mode, but I don't know if "SuperFine" is
always TIFF or if it's just the resolution setting. You might try setting to
the lowest-compression JPEG setting instead of TIFF, if you're shooting in
TIFF. That should help dramatically. If you need TIFF, then you're probably
just out of luck. You could also try turning off any effects which involve
post-capture processing, if you've got any on.

Todd Walker 08-07-2003 03:45 PM

Re: high resolution problem

In article <5a28709b.0308070658.7cf5122f@posting.google.com >,
tglennt@yahoo.com says...
> I am just getting into digital photography, having been an old
> fashioned photographer for many years. I have a Minolta Dimage F100.
>
> The problem I am having is that when I have set the camera at high
> image size (2272 x 1704)and resolution (super fine), it takes an
> inordinately long time to save after each shot. So much so it defeats
> my purposes. I can't wait for the 15-20 seconds it takes to save (or
> retrieve).
>
> Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
> doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.

It sounds like you are using the TIFF mode, which would explain the long
save times. Are your images that come out of the camera about 11 megs?
If so, then you are using TIFF and there is no reason to. I would almost
guarantee that you can't see the difference between TIFF and highest
resolution JPG. If you use JPG, your image save times should go down to
about 3 seconds and the file sizes around 1-1.5 megs each.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Flux 08-07-2003 08:28 PM

Re: high resolution problem

tglennt@yahoo.com (Tom Thompson) wrote in message news:<5a28709b.0308070658.7cf5122f@posting.google. com>...
> I am just getting into digital photography, having been an old
> fashioned photographer for many years. I have a Minolta Dimage F100.
>
> The problem I am having is that when I have set the camera at high
> image size (2272 x 1704)and resolution (super fine), it takes an
> inordinately long time to save after each shot. So much so it defeats
> my purposes. I can't wait for the 15-20 seconds it takes to save (or
> retrieve).
>
> Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
> doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.

I believe that the 'Super fine' setting on the F100 means it will save
in TIFF (uncompressed) format, instead of JPEG.
If you don't intend to make heavy modifications to the image a 'fine'
JPEG should be quite enough, as it's nearly equal to the TIFF image,
at only a fraction of the size.

Consumer digital cameras aren't usually optimized for TIFF processing,
they're much faster at processing and storing JPEG.

Flux