Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Digital Cameras (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t240603-re-digital-cameras.html)

Todd Walker 08-07-2003 04:27 AM

Re: Digital Cameras

In article <566e92e7.0308061659.5e2fe9b3@posting.google.com >,
LiDanFrey@yahoo.com says...
> I am new to writing to groups. I'd like to know what make of Digital
> Camera you'd recommend to someone who wishes to make taking photos
> more than a hobby. I have researched several brands of digital
> cameras, but would really like some recommendations to narrow down my
> choices. I'd like to buy one 5 MP or more. Price is an object, but
> would consider a digital camera which takes excellent pics in raw and
> tiff.
> I have considered SLRs. I do have an HP318 and am very proficient in
> Photoshop. If you can, please give me your pros and cons of your
> recommendations.
> Thank you very much for your consideration.

If you are willing to spend around $1700-1800, I highly recommend the
Canon 10D with a couple of lenses to cover the focal length range that
you use most often. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and the 28-135IS USM and I am
very happy with both lenses. You can see a few of my sample pictures
here:

http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d/index.htm

If you are looking to spend less than $1000, I would recommend the Canon
G5, Olympus C5050, Minolta Dimage 7Hi, and Nikon 5400/5700.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Jon Wordsworth 08-07-2003 04:55 PM

Re: Digital Cameras

> If you are looking to spend less than $1000, I would recommend the Canon
> G5, Olympus C5050, Minolta Dimage 7Hi, and Nikon 5400/5700.

And the G3. Not really much difference between the G3 and G5 other than
price. Don't be fooled by the 4 to 5 megapixel difference, that doesn't
always mean a much better picture. In fact, the 4 megapixel looks better
than many brand's 5 megapixel.

Todd Walker 08-07-2003 06:49 PM

Re: Digital Cameras

In article <3F328496.FD6E5947@hotmail.com>, jwordsworth@hotmail.com
says...
> > If you are looking to spend less than $1000, I would recommend the Canon
> > G5, Olympus C5050, Minolta Dimage 7Hi, and Nikon 5400/5700.

> And the G3. Not really much difference between the G3 and G5 other than
> price. Don't be fooled by the 4 to 5 megapixel difference, that doesn't
> always mean a much better picture. In fact, the 4 megapixel looks better
> than many brand's 5 megapixel.

You are correct and I absolutely agree -- if I were buying one right
now, it would be the G3 over the G5. But the original poster specified a
5 megapixel camera so that's what I put in my answer to him.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Jon Wordsworth 08-08-2003 04:08 AM

Re: Digital Cameras

> It seems like the G5 is a step backward--- is that a fair statement? It
> took a vicious punch in the review at dpreview.

No one seems to think that the black color is worth the extra $100 in price. I
don't even like the black color and prefer the silver finish, so I get the best
of both worlds, better looking camera, lower price.

Jon Wordsworth 08-08-2003 04:10 AM

Re: Digital Cameras

> You are correct and I absolutely agree -- if I were buying one right
> now, it would be the G3 over the G5. But the original poster specified a
> 5 megapixel camera so that's what I put in my answer to him.

This seems like such a silly thing to say, but many people seem to be saying it,
and I am going to get the G3 over the G5 myself.