Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t240522-sony-dsc-u60-anyone-taken-pictures-underwater-with-it.html)

RM 08-06-2003 02:21 AM

Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

Just curious. I know it only goes down to 5' deep, however I'm looking at
buying one for our trips to waterparks and summer vacations. I normally use
a G3 when I'm on dry land, but buy disposable waterproof cameras when by the
pool or at a waterpark. We usually have fun taking pictures underwater and
I'm curious how good this new Sony camera is -- it sure will save me some $
on developing and buying the disposables... we usually use up 4 on each
trip. I've read some reviews on some of the popular sites (i.e. imaging
resource), but none tested it underwater. Any input would be appreciated.
--
Rob

Dan Birchall 08-06-2003 02:36 AM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

noreply@noreply.com (RM) wrote:
> Just curious. I know it only goes down to 5' deep, however I'm looking at
> buying one for our trips to waterparks and summer vacations.

Even in the ocean, 5' should be plenty if you're just snorkeling on the
surface over a reef or something. Lack of a zoom is also fine underwater.

US$250 with a coupon (according to DealCam) is a bit steep though for
a 2-megapixel with no zoom - if you were wanting to do slightly deeper
stuff you might be able to find a better all-around 2mp camera _and_ a
soft enclosure (i.e. Ewa-Marine) for around that price.

--
If you spam this address, you (obviously) agree to pay me $100/spam.

Juan R. Pollo 08-06-2003 10:10 PM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

"Dan Birchall" <YouMustPay100DollarsForEachSpamYouSendMe@d1h.co m> wrote in
message
news:slrnbj0qdn.1t3.YouMustPay100DollarsForEachSpa mYouSendMe@kea.danbirchall.com...
> noreply@noreply.com (RM) wrote:

> US$250 with a coupon (according to DealCam) is a bit steep though for
> a 2-megapixel with no zoom

Ahem, just saw one on ebay described as possessing a 1X optical zoom.

The genius who came up with this deserves recognition.

Juan

Rob 08-06-2003 10:56 PM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

LOL
--
Rob

RM 08-06-2003 11:03 PM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

5' is plenty for us, as I only plan on using in the same situations where I
used a waterproof disposable previously (i.e. waterparks and/or other
shallow locations). I already have a G2 and a G3 for all other situations,
so this will just be my fun and splash camera and my goal is just to do
better than a disposable and a photo cd and be able to see the pictures
immediately after I take em. I found the unit for cheaper than $250 and
just like its small, compact design that is perfect for the places I will
use it at. Thanks for the input.
--
Rob

Stephen G. Giannoni 08-07-2003 07:50 PM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

Check :

http://members2.clubphoto.com/stephe...44/guest.phtml

Long Island Sound, about 35 miles East of NYC on the North shore of
Long Island, using face mask & snorkel.

Very pleased with the U60 and results.

Underwater motion clips also very nice.

http://www.homestead.com/giannoni/sa18.html

RM 08-07-2003 10:12 PM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

Just what I was looking for. Thanks much!
--
Rob

RM 08-07-2003 11:30 PM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it?

I used to take UW pictures with a regular UW camera when I spent more time
scuba diving, however I'd get a lot of duds. The same thing happens with
the disposables -- you never know what you'll get. I like the U60 because
at least I can check out my shots while I'm out and retake something if it
didn't come up. Oh, gotta love the murky water! ;-)
--
Rob

DigitalCameraBasics 08-08-2003 02:37 AM

Re: Sony DSC-U60 - LIMITS

I didn't see the original post, but I thought just in case it didn't come
up, I'd remind that according to Sony, the U60 shouldn't be taken more than
something like FIVE FEET underwater. So it's not really an "underwater
camera" per se. Maybe some folks have gone deeper with it but they claim
it leaks due to pressue after 5 feet, and trust me, they will KNOW if you
did it (read = voided warranty).