Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mavica? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t240328-mavica.html)

Mavica? 08-03-2003 02:13 PM

Mavica?

Any opinions on the Mavica's that store the images on the mini Cd'S I
currently have an older model that uses floppy's. Thanks for any info

Bill Crocker 08-03-2003 02:28 PM

Re: Mavica?

We have several where I work...for sales people. Without exception, all the
drives started having problems, after about one year of normal use. They
were all sent out for repair, not one has yet to be returned.

Bill Crocker

james 08-03-2003 03:09 PM

Re: Mavica?

I started to buy one once (I have/am selling) an FD-91, and wanted to find a
way to store more images without all the floppies taking over the house.
So, I looked at the mini-CD cams. Nice pictures for sure. But, SLOW writing
times. And those mini-CD's are not available just anywhere. I finally
bought a point and shoot 4mp, Compact flash camera(cheapy) that my wife
uses, and put a Canon 10D on layaway for me! CF cards store easy, way more
storage space, and I burn CD's from the downloaded camera images for long
term storage.
So, I decided against getting the CD Sony. Had I not wanted the 10D so bad
(DSLR) I would have gotten the Sony F717, which uses a Memory Stick. Still
better than the floppy or mini-CD storage, in my opinion.
james

JohnO 08-03-2003 03:56 PM

Re: Mavica?

Just my opinion as I've never used a CD Mavica.

I had a CD Walkman that fell off a coffee table and went to junk so I wasn't
interesteted in a CD camera. Had a FD Mavica that flew off the seat of my
car during a sudden stop and never missed a beat.

When I upgraded I went with the FD-97 (at a steal, which is why I upgraded)
and quickly found out using MS was the way to go. I still use floppies for a
few shots around the house and carry a few with me (handy to copy and hand
out to people) but I was never interested in a CD camera.

So now my poor Mavicas sit in their camera bags, wondering why this new
camera, the Canon 10D, is having all the fun (as I am too!).

Looks like I'm willing to agree ... floppies are a thing of the past (cough,
cough, gasp, gasp!) or close to it :-)

Todd Walker 08-03-2003 05:12 PM

Re: Mavica?

In article <C9aXa.12118$tf.447@lakeread03>, johneo@NOSPAM!cox.net
says...
> Looks like I'm willing to agree ... floppies are a thing of the past (cough,
> cough, gasp, gasp!) or close to it :-)

O H M Y GOD ! ! ! ! !

People in hell must be a little chilly right about now ;-)

You knew I would jump in here didn't you John?

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Ron Hunter 08-03-2003 06:23 PM

Re: Mavica?

Mavica? wrote:

> Any opinions on the Mavica's that store the images on the mini Cd'S I
> currently have an older model that uses floppy's. Thanks for any info

If you don't mind a large camera that takes a long time to write to the
disk between pictures, you will probably like it.

Viller Ramone 08-07-2003 01:20 AM

Re: Mavica?

>"Mavica?" <robert@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Any opinions on the Mavica's that store the images on the mini Cd'S I
>> currently have an older model that uses floppy's. Thanks for any info

I have one, so I'll chime in. I'm also quoting the post by james
because it has some points I'd like to respond to.

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:09:58 GMT, "james" <jjames700@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I started to buy one once (I have/am selling) an FD-91, and wanted to find a
>way to store more images without all the floppies taking over the house.
>So, I looked at the mini-CD cams. Nice pictures for sure. But, SLOW writing
>times.

Excellent pictures. Write times are a bit longish (3-6 seconds for a
5MP pic on the CD500), but the buffer will hold about 9 pictures
before holding up your shooting. I take a *lot* of pictures (I tend to
shoot at least 300 a week even if I've not gone anywhere), and I don't
think I've ever hit the buffer limit.

>And those mini-CD's are not available just anywhere.

I've seen them available at Wal-Mart, Sam Goody, and all over the
internet (eBay usually has over a hundred auctions going on them at
any given time). Not trying to offend, but this isn't really an issue
these days (though it well may have been when you were looking into
buying one).

The big plus, at least for me, is that I can run off for the weekend
(or a week, or whatever) with a shirt pocket full of CDs and not worry
about bringing along a laptop or running out of storage space. On a
recent trip to Indianapolis, I was able to shoot and shoot and shoot.
Around a gig of pictures later, I was awfully glad that I wasn't
dealing with flash cards. You can output the pictures to a TV and run
a slide show, so it's very easy to share pictures with friends/family
who either don't have a computer, or don't have one in a spot
conducive to socializing.

I love my camera. 2 family members have CD Mavicas and love them. My
first CD Mavica was sold to a chum, who loves it. A bit bulkier than
most digicams, but really nice cameras with a lot of features. And, if
you're using a floppy Mavica, the bulk won't seem bad at all.

As they say on Reading Rainbow, though, you don't have to take my word
for it. Check out the following links:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CD500/CD50A.HTM
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/cd500.html
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Digital_C...g=mavica+cd500

Ultimately, only you can decide if it's the right camera for you, but
I don't know anyone who's got a CD Mavica who doesn't absolutely adore
it.

Cheers,
Viller Ramone

james 08-07-2003 02:50 AM

Re: Mavica?

Viller, please don't think I was knocking everything about the Mavica's that
use the mini-cd's.
I'm not. But, my one big complaint (for me anyway) is/was, carrying around
a pocket full of cd's . Just like I did with my FD-91 (which is about to
sell as I write this), carrying around a ton of Floppies. At least with the
floppies, you could erase a bad image, with the CD's, (if I'm not mistaken)
it was write once and too bad if the photo turned out to be a dud. I really
did love the 14X Zoom on my FD-91 and it is one thing I'll miss until I can
afford a good zoom lense for my Canon 10D. And if you think about it, the
cost of the newer 5Mp Sony CD camera is getting close to 3/4 of what you
can find a 10D for. That too was another reason I didn't go with it. I
just like the added control that the 10D, or any DSLR for that matter, gives
me.
But, everyone has either limits financially or some other reason for not
going for a DSLR and that is good. The whole idea is about photography and
having fun.
And even the best DSLR in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use
it correctly, won't make those photos great or even good.
As for media availability, those same stores also sell Compact Flash cards
(although in some areas they are too expensive). And best of all, they are
re-writable. To me that is a big plus.
It is one of the reason's I have sold nearly all of my 35mm SLR's.
Developing film to find that I got a few out of focuse photos instead of
sharp like I had hoped can be frustrating. At least with my FD-91 I could
erase the bad pictures and try again. It might take a bit, but it did do
it.
And with the 10D, well, it erases way faster than the FD-91 ever did !!
Happy shooting with your camera,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's the best part !
james

james 08-07-2003 05:15 PM

Re: Mavica?

Not all of the Mavica's will work with those adaptors.. I checked into one
for my FD-91
(selling now on Ebay as I write this,,,,,,,less than 2hrs. to go) and I
found out that the FD-91 will not work with it. Bummer, I really would have
liked to get the extra storage capacity.
james

"Robert E. Williams" <mytbob@cox.net> wrote in message
> You can purchase a Floppy/Memory Stick adapter to enable Mavicas to have

128 MB of memory.
> Other manufacturers e.g. Flash Path by Smart Disk, make Floppy/CF and

Floppy/SM adapters which are much cheaper..
> I'm not positive that they will work on a Mavica, but they work well on a

PC.

Viller Ramone 08-08-2003 04:34 AM

Re: Mavica?

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:50:53 GMT, "james" <jjames700@earthlink.net>
wrote:
(assorted snips throughout for brevity)
>Viller, please don't think I was knocking everything about the Mavica's that
>use the mini-cd's. I'm not.

No worries. Likewise, please don't think I'm coming down on you - I'm
just clarifying a few points and explaining why I decided that the CD
Mavica was the camera for me. I'm the first to admit that it isn't for
everyone, but I think it's easy enough for almost anyone, but
tweakable enough for all but the most hardcore pros.

>But, my one big complaint (for me anyway) is/was, carrying around
>a pocket full of cd's .

Not a big deal for me, since I either wear pocket shirts, put them in
my coat or camera bag, or have my GF throw them in her purse. I must
admit that there have been times that I've been out and about sans any
of those, and carrying an extra CD or 2 was a bit of a pain in the
posterior.

My big complaint is running out of storage space. As previously
mentioned, I take a lot of pictures. I also don't have a laptop, so
the storage I take with me is the storage I have. I've had 1 week
trips where I've shot over 2 gigs of pictures & video. Flash cards
with that much storage would have cost rather a lot of money,
especially at the time. Instead, I used ~$7 worth of CDs. That
consideration trumped pretty much everything else for me

>Just like I did with my FD-91 (which is about to
>sell as I write this), carrying around a ton of Floppies. At least with the
>floppies, you could erase a bad image, with the CD's, (if I'm not mistaken)
>it was write once and too bad if the photo turned out to be a dud.

Well, you can use CD-RWs. They're usually about 2-3 times the cost of
the CD-Rs (which run about 50 each if you buy them in bulk). The
general consensus among Mavicans is that RWs aren't worth the bother
due to the low cost of Rs and the convenience of having an instant and
(more or less) permanent archive. Even if you're using Rs, you can
erase bad pictures as long as you haven't finalized the CD (it doesn't
free up any space, but they stop showing up in the index or through
Windows Explorer). There are a number of Mavica enthusiasts who simply
use and reuse some number of CD-RWs, but I'm not among them. I like
being able to take people to places I've been in the comfort of their
den. Some people prefer not to have dozens of tiny CDs all over their
house. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

>And if you think about it, the
>cost of the newer 5Mp Sony CD camera is getting close to 3/4 of what you
>can find a 10D for.

Actually, you can get a CD500 for under $600 including shipping, which
is less than half the lowest price I could find on the 10D (which is a
big part of why I couldn't even consider a 10D, alas).

>The whole idea is about photography and having fun.

Couldn't agree more. A lot of us lose sight of that. Well, enough
proselytizing - time for bed.

Cheers,
Viller Ramone