Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Olympus C-5050 Users Group - lets start one on usenet! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t240259-re-olympus-c-5050-users-group-lets-start-one-on-usenet.html)

gr 08-02-2003 12:33 PM

Re: Olympus C-5050 Users Group - lets start one on usenet!

"M. Souris" <msouris@erewhon.com> wrote
> How about it? The yahoo groups are cumbersome with an impractical
> interface. Why not here?

Because Usenet is a poor choice for a "group of the month". Most servers
never expire Usenet groups, and in a few months nobody will care about the
C-5050 anymore. They'll be on to the next model, and what then? You want to
start a camera model-specific group for every one? Ridiculous.

A much better alternative is to start an Olympus digital group, if you want
to go to the trouble. Though, my spider-sense tells me YOU do not want to go
to any trouble at all, and expect someone else to do the work for you.

M. Souris 08-02-2003 01:04 PM

Re: Olympus C-5050 Users Group - lets start one on usenet!

I will look into it - Olympus User's Group

Al Dykes 08-02-2003 01:45 PM

Re: Olympus C-5050 Users Group - lets start one on usenet!

In article <8mdniv8ifn4kke74c02k3n7bgmgk41faor@4ax.com>,
M. Souris <msouris@erewhon.com> wrote:
>I will look into it - Olympus User's Group
>

>On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 08:33:08 -0400, "gr"
><grSPAMimreaSPAMper@playground.net> wrote:
>
>>"M. Souris" <msouris@erewhon.com> wrote
>>> How about it? The yahoo groups are cumbersome with an impractical
>>> interface. Why not here?

>>Because Usenet is a poor choice for a "group of the month". Most servers
>>never expire Usenet groups, and in a few months nobody will care about the
>>C-5050 anymore. They'll be on to the next model, and what then? You want to
>>start a camera model-specific group for every one? Ridiculous.
>>
>>A much better alternative is to start an Olympus digital group, if you want
>>to go to the trouble. Though, my spider-sense tells me YOU do not want to go
>>to any trouble at all, and expect someone else to do the work for you.

A suggestion; Why don't the C5050 fans put this in the Subject line. This would
let people that were either only in the 5050 or didn't want to hear anything
about it to filter, as appropriate, in their news reader.

Subject: (C5050) Your Message Subject

This convention can obviously apply to anny other topic.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Steve Young 08-02-2003 03:45 PM

Re: Olympus C-5050 Users Group - lets start one on usenet!

> > In article <bggf9q$i0g$1@panix2.panix.com>, adykes@panix.com says...
> > A suggestion; Why don't the C5050 fans put this in the Subject line.
> > This would let people that were either only in the 5050 or didn't want
> > to hear anything about it to filter, as appropriate, in their news reader.

> > Subject: (C5050) Your Message Subject

> > This convention can obviously apply to anny other topic.

> "Todd Walker" <twalker294@hotmail.com> wrote
> You beat me to it Al. I was just going to suggest the very same thing
> :-)

*Sure* With appropreate filters, a newsgroup could be multichannel :)

M.W. Poirier 08-02-2003 03:58 PM

(C5050) So lets start doing it.

For what are we waiting? We can achieve the goal immediately.
Do as I have done in the subject line.

While I am at it. I have noticed a few tiny specks of dirt inside
of the viewfinder of my new C-5050. Is that to be expected on
a new camera? How does it get in there?

Finally, let me thank all who replied to my question about
NiMH batteries and AC Adapters from a few days back. I know
that some replied privately, but for some unknown reason, I
lost all of my e-mail before I had a chance to read it, and
some of this mail concerned NiMH batteries and AC Adapters.

M.W. Poirier

----
In article <C0RWa.84816$0v4.5666095@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Steve Young" <sryoung1@worldnet.att.net> writes...

Bill Lukic Duke 08-04-2003 01:29 AM

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 15:45:38 GMT, "Steve Young" <sryoung1@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

|> > In article <bggf9q$i0g$1@panix2.panix.com>, adykes@panix.com says...
|> > A suggestion; Why don't the C5050 fans put this in the Subject line.
|> > This would let people that were either only in the 5050 or didn't want
|> > to hear anything about it to filter, as appropriate, in their news reader.
|
|> > Subject: (C5050) Your Message Subject
|
|> > This convention can obviously apply to anny other topic.
|
|> "Todd Walker" <twalker294@hotmail.com> wrote
|> You beat me to it Al. I was just going to suggest the very same thing
|> :-)
|
|*Sure* With appropreate filters, a newsgroup could be multichannel :)

It sounds great, but first you must make the rules...

John Navas 08-04-2003 07:57 AM

Re: Newsgroup Filter Rules / Conventions

In <iHbXa.83004$3o3.5718456@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sun, 03 Aug
2003 17:33:02 GMT, "Steve Young" <sryoung1@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> |Steve Young" <sryoung1@worldnet.att.net>
>> |*Sure* With appropriate filters, a newsgroup could be multichannel :)

>> "Bill Lukic Duke" <lukicCUTHERE@bigfoot.com>
>> It sounds great, but first you must make the rules...

>To begin, one would have to cull popular newsreader
>constrictions/capabilities. It would be nice if one could make common rules
>to mark the topics (subgroup) (which is desired) to 'watch', so you wouldn't
>need to read the stream to catch them, they'd just appear on the list. Then
>eventually, if one desired, they could flip the switch to delete all others
>and have only the selected subchannels (along with other key words) appear.

Usenet already has filters. They are called newsgroups. If you want, take a
crack at starting (say) alt.photo.digital.c5050 -- or as a more practical
matter, alt.photo.digital.olympus (or even rec.photo.digital.olympus). Knock
yourself out.

--
Best regards,
John Navas