Velocity Reviews

-   -   Do I need a pen and tablet? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t239295-do-i-need-a-pen-and-tablet.html)

Paula Sims 07-25-2003 01:59 AM

Do I need a pen and tablet?

I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
which one?

Thanks for your help
--
Paula Sims
paula_sims00@hotmail.com

Jim Waggener 07-25-2003 02:08 AM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

"Paula Sims" <NOpaula_sims00SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.198a4af936c86c0898968c@news.snet.sbcgloba l.net...
> I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
> Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
> should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
> which one?
>
> Thanks for your help
> --
> Paula Sims
> paula_sims00@hotmail.com
> (Remove NO and SPAM when replying

A pen and tablet would make it much easier. Get a Wacom.

Gregory W. Blank 07-25-2003 02:13 AM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

I find the mouse I have is better than the the tablet on my old computer.
Coupled with keyboard short cuts the mouse should be good enough
IMHOP.

In article <MPG.198a4af936c86c0898968c@news.snet.sbcglobal.ne t>, Paula Sims <NOpaula_sims00SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
> Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
> should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
> which one?
>
> Thanks for your help
> --
> Paula Sims
> paula_sims00@hotmail.com
> (Remove NO and SPAM when replying)

--
Check out my website @
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Considering eating out?; You may end up spending a fortune in cookies.

Charlie D 07-25-2003 02:24 AM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

WhoWill@hear-who.net (Gregory W. Blank) wrote:

> I find the mouse I have is better than the the tablet on my old computer.
> Coupled with keyboard short cuts the mouse should be good enough
> IMHOP.

Same here.
I have a Wacom and virtually never use it. Just try it once a year or so
and see it doesn't help me. It may be good for painting from scratch,
but for photo touch-up my Kensington trackball does it all. YMMV.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Mxsmanic 07-25-2003 03:12 AM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

Paula Sims writes:

> How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
> should I just stick to my mouse?

A pen and tablet is _mandatory_ for any serious work in Photoshop.

> If I should go with the pen and tablet,
> which one?

Wacom.

Paul Heslop 07-25-2003 09:41 AM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

Paula Sims wrote:

> I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
> Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
> should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
> which one?
>
> Thanks for your help
> --
> Paula Sims
> paula_sims00@hotmail.com
> (Remove NO and SPAM when replying)

Personally I only use my tablet for art work, not for day to day
retouching. As it is pressure sensitive it can be brilliant for
manipulating images by hand, but if you're the kind of person who likes
to do things by button presses I wouldn't bother.
If you DO decide to buy one and are not going to use it for serious
artwork then why bother with Wacom when there are cheaper tablets which
would suffice.
I have a Nisis, it was cheap, it does the job I want and the mouse which
came with it was crap, which I understand is the usual case with these
mice.

So, to recap, buy a tablet if you want to work on pictures by hand,
otherwise stick with yer mouse :O)
--
Paul. (This machine will, will not communicate)
Not what it seems...

borge 07-25-2003 11:25 AM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:59:34 GMT, Paula Sims
<NOpaula_sims00SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
>Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
>should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
>which one?
>
>Thanks for your help

If you really want to know, try to sign your signature with a mouse,
It is like using the heel of a muddy boot compared to that of the pen
on a Wacom - however you have to learn and not give up too soon.

Borge
For your information, my stats are:
Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
1 Gb memory,ADSL
80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
Borge Pedersen :-)
Perth, Australia
mailto:borge@SPAMbigpond.net.au
remove SPAM for email

Bart van der Wolf 07-25-2003 12:10 PM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

"Paula Sims" <NOpaula_sims00SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.198a4af936c86c0898968c@news.snet.sbcgloba l.net...
> I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
> Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
> should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
> which one?

If you have to do lots of retouching, get a Wacom (even the small ones offer
speed and pressure control). Tracing outlines is also much quicker and
accurate than I can do it with a mouse, but perhaps it's my mouse skills
that are sub par ;-)
I don't use the pen for routine navigation, but for smooth pressure/angle
dependent strokes it is better IMHO.

Bart

Charlie D 07-25-2003 01:19 PM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

In article <j181ivoslertrcts36bbofpnt3v3453qoi@4ax.com>,
Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Charlie D writes:
>
> > It may be good for painting from scratch,
> > but for photo touch-up my Kensington trackball
> > does it all.

> How does your trackball handle opacity and angle?

With the "O" and "A" user addressable wheels. ;)

Of course it doesn't handle it. I don't "draw" on my photos. I just do
the things I did in the darkroom (plus dozens of others). That never
included airbrushing or other gross changes.

You certainly don't need a tablet for spotting or for the healing brush.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Mxsmanic 07-25-2003 02:59 PM

Re: Do I need a pen and tablet?

Charlie D writes:

> I don't "draw" on my photos. I just do the things
> I did in the darkroom (plus dozens of others). That never
> included airbrushing or other gross changes.

Even dodging and burning requires opacity control for best results.

> You certainly don't need a tablet for spotting
> or for the healing brush.

You don't need a tablet for anything, strictly speaking. Then again,
technically you don't need a mouse, either--you could just do everything
with the keyboard. The difference is about the same between keyboard
and mouse as it is between mouse and tablet, as anyone who has used all
of these will confirm.