Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Re: Epson Stylus 820 breeds abject hatred (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t239219-re-epson-stylus-820-breeds-abject-hatred.html)

Todd Walker 07-24-2003 05:56 AM

Re: Epson Stylus 820 breeds abject hatred
 
In article <775799ec.0307232119.60ba5cf3@posting.google.com >,
perfb@yahoo.com says...
> I didnt think it was possible to actually experience
> abject hatred for an inanimate thing like the
> Epson Stylus Photo 820, but I truly do hate this
> printer with every fiber of my being.
>
> I would like to sue Epson for pain and suffering for ever making
> this POS.
>
> the next time it refuses to load the paper or takes 10 cleanings
> to make a decent print will be the last, which is to say the next time
> I ever use it, which will be a cold day in Redmond
>


I got to that point about a year ago with my Epson 780. I got fed up and
bought a Canon S820. I have been in photo printer nirvana since then.
The Canon has never clogged ONCE and I don't use it that often -- maybe
once every 2-3 weeks. It just WORKS. Unlike the Epson...

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com
Olympus E20 <-- SOLD!
Canon 10D in a week or so!
Canon G2
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

Simon 07-24-2003 06:24 AM

Canon abject hatred
 
Todd,

Funny you say this - I had a "lemon" Canon printer (if you could even call
it a printer) once that I wasted so many good hours on trying to make it
print basic things let alone photos.

I replaced cartridges, took it to the repair shop regularly - finally, I
reached a point that it was cheaper to toss the lot and cut my losses. I
did just that and I'll never buy another junk Canon product again.

I brought an Epson 890 printer quite a while ago and it works faultlessly -
I'd swear by the Epson name - it works great.

We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a theory that
some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.


- Simon, Sydney


"Todd Walker" <twalker294@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.198931574c826ca598a376@news-server.jam.rr.com...
> In article <775799ec.0307232119.60ba5cf3@posting.google.com >,
> perfb@yahoo.com says...
> > I didnt think it was possible to actually experience
> > abject hatred for an inanimate thing like the
> > Epson Stylus Photo 820, but I truly do hate this
> > printer with every fiber of my being.
> >
> > I would like to sue Epson for pain and suffering for ever making
> > this POS.
> >
> > the next time it refuses to load the paper or takes 10 cleanings
> > to make a decent print will be the last, which is to say the next time
> > I ever use it, which will be a cold day in Redmond
> >

>
> I got to that point about a year ago with my Epson 780. I got fed up and
> bought a Canon S820. I have been in photo printer nirvana since then.
> The Canon has never clogged ONCE and I don't use it that often -- maybe
> once every 2-3 weeks. It just WORKS. Unlike the Epson...
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Olympus E20 <-- SOLD!
> Canon 10D in a week or so!
> Canon G2
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________




Gregory W. Blank 07-24-2003 11:28 AM

Re: Canon abject hatred
 
Buy enough stuff and you"ll eventually get some junk,
then judge the company by whether they make good on it or not.


In article <KYKTa.11624$OM3.5046@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Simon" <softgui@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Todd,
>
> Funny you say this - I had a "lemon" Canon printer (if you could even call
> it a printer) once that I wasted so many good hours on trying to make it
> print basic things let alone photos.
>
> I replaced cartridges, took it to the repair shop regularly - finally, I
> reached a point that it was cheaper to toss the lot and cut my losses. I
> did just that and I'll never buy another junk Canon product again.
>
> I brought an Epson 890 printer quite a while ago and it works faultlessly -
> I'd swear by the Epson name - it works great.
>
> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a theory that
> some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.
>
>
> - Simon, Sydney


--
Check out my website @
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Considering eating out?; You may end up spending a fortune in cookies.

Todd Walker 07-24-2003 05:55 PM

Re: Canon abject hatred
 
In article <KYKTa.11624$OM3.5046@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
softgui@bigpond.net.au says...
> Todd,
>
> Funny you say this - I had a "lemon" Canon printer (if you could even call
> it a printer) once that I wasted so many good hours on trying to make it
> print basic things let alone photos.
>
> I replaced cartridges, took it to the repair shop regularly - finally, I
> reached a point that it was cheaper to toss the lot and cut my losses. I
> did just that and I'll never buy another junk Canon product again.
>
> I brought an Epson 890 printer quite a while ago and it works faultlessly -
> I'd swear by the Epson name - it works great.
>
> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a theory that
> some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.


The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A year
or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website showing
people one method of trying to clean the heads.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com
Olympus E20 <-- SOLD!
Canon 10D in a week or so!
Canon G2
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

Mark M 07-24-2003 08:01 PM

Re: Canon abject hatred
 
>> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a
>> theory that some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.

>
> The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
> year
> or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website showing
> people one method of trying to clean the heads.


I must be the luckiest Epson guy on Earth...

....I've used my 1270 ever since it was released a few years ago, and have
NEVER had one single clog. That's in spite of being sometimes left for
months without a print...from days...to constant use. Never one clog.

Why do you suppose that is?



John M 07-24-2003 08:42 PM

Re: Canon abject hatred
 

"Mark M" <mjmorgan2@cox.net> wrote in message
news:qWWTa.15288$Bp2.14241@fed1read07...
> >> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a
> >> theory that some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.

> >
> > The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
> > year
> > or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website showing
> > people one method of trying to clean the heads.

>
> I must be the luckiest Epson guy on Earth...
>
> ...I've used my 1270 ever since it was released a few years ago, and have
> NEVER had one single clog. That's in spite of being sometimes left for
> months without a print...from days...to constant use. Never one clog.
>
> Why do you suppose that is?


It was cold and snowy last winter - global warming is a crock. My uncle
smoked 3 packs a day and lived to 93 - smoking won't hurt you.

My point is that sample sizes of 1 are worthless in general - especially to
buyers researching a product. OTOH, they mean everything to that 1 person
who has the great unit (or the lemon).



Mark M 07-24-2003 09:16 PM

Re: Canon abject hatred
 
John M wrote:
> "Mark M" <mjmorgan2@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:qWWTa.15288$Bp2.14241@fed1read07...
>>>> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a
>>>> theory that some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.
>>>
>>> The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
>>> year
>>> or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website
>>> showing people one method of trying to clean the heads.

>>
>> I must be the luckiest Epson guy on Earth...
>>
>> ...I've used my 1270 ever since it was released a few years ago, and
>> have NEVER had one single clog. That's in spite of being sometimes
>> left for months without a print...from days...to constant use.
>> Never one clog.
>>
>> Why do you suppose that is?

>
> It was cold and snowy last winter - global warming is a crock. My
> uncle smoked 3 packs a day and lived to 93 - smoking won't hurt you.
>
> My point is that sample sizes of 1 are worthless in general -
> especially to buyers researching a product. OTOH, they mean
> everything to that 1 person who has the great unit (or the lemon).


That's all very nice, ecxept that I wasn't making any broader claims about
Epson.
I was just telling my experience, and wondering why I'm so lucky. Really.
What could be the reason? I wasn't being sarcastic at all.



Charlie D 07-24-2003 09:48 PM

Re: Canon abject hatred
 
The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
yearor so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website
showing people one method of trying to clean the heads.

So you're the SOB! ;)
I had constant clogging on my 900 and finally, no matter how many head
cleanings I did, it wouldn't print correctly. I always used Epson ctgs.

Finally I tried the Windex technique. I don't know if that's what you
posted. As I'm likely to do, I figured, if a little is good, a lot is
better. Furthermore, I couldn't tell if I was getting any in there.

Anyway, it then started dragging ink across the page. Either because I
used too much Windex, or because the sponge was already saturated from
the MANY previous cleanings.

I trashed it and got an HP. A friend also has an Epson 900 and has had
no problems. I'll give it to him for spare parts, also any cartridges I
have left.

I bought the 900 because of it's micro droplets. A friend at work had a
cheap HP with photo ret and I compared prints under a magnifying glass.
Mine had a tad more resolution, but for all practical purposes, his were
fine.

If I ever want a "real" photo printer, from what I read recently, I'll
buy a Canon.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

David Cohen 07-24-2003 09:59 PM

Re: Canon abject hatred
 
I have a Lexmark 3200. Some cartridges work fine, others show heavy
banding right out of the box. Got a package of two color on sale, one
works fine, other is just unuseable. I don't use it much, also have an
HP 5L laser. Ink is too expensive to do much with inkjet printers.
Dave Cohen

"Simon" <softgui@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<KYKTa.11624$OM3.5046@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> Todd,
>
> Funny you say this - I had a "lemon" Canon printer (if you could even call
> it a printer) once that I wasted so many good hours on trying to make it
> print basic things let alone photos.
>
> I replaced cartridges, took it to the repair shop regularly - finally, I
> reached a point that it was cheaper to toss the lot and cut my losses. I
> did just that and I'll never buy another junk Canon product again.
>
> I brought an Epson 890 printer quite a while ago and it works faultlessly -
> I'd swear by the Epson name - it works great.
>
> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a theory that
> some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.
>
>
> - Simon, Sydney
>
>
> "Todd Walker" <twalker294@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.198931574c826ca598a376@news-server.jam.rr.com...
> > In article <775799ec.0307232119.60ba5cf3@posting.google.com >,
> > perfb@yahoo.com says...
> > > I didnt think it was possible to actually experience
> > > abject hatred for an inanimate thing like the
> > > Epson Stylus Photo 820, but I truly do hate this
> > > printer with every fiber of my being.
> > >
> > > I would like to sue Epson for pain and suffering for ever making
> > > this POS.
> > >
> > > the next time it refuses to load the paper or takes 10 cleanings
> > > to make a decent print will be the last, which is to say the next time
> > > I ever use it, which will be a cold day in Redmond
> > >

> >
> > I got to that point about a year ago with my Epson 780. I got fed up and
> > bought a Canon S820. I have been in photo printer nirvana since then.
> > The Canon has never clogged ONCE and I don't use it that often -- maybe
> > once every 2-3 weeks. It just WORKS. Unlike the Epson...
> >
> > --
> > ________________________________
> > Todd Walker
> > http://twalker.d2g.com
> > Olympus E20 <-- SOLD!
> > Canon 10D in a week or so!
> > Canon G2
> > My Digital Photography Weblog:
> > http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> > _________________________________



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.