Velocity Reviews

-   -   how long is too long? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t239154-how-long-is-too-long.html)

Mark C 07-23-2003 02:39 PM

how long is too long?

I was going through some old stuff and came across one roll of Ektachrome
and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time I
shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the trash......or
if it were you.....would you have them developed? I know that they have
been stored in a cool dry place for all these years.

Any thoughts?

Ciao,
Mark C
Nashville, TN

Mark C 07-23-2003 02:40 PM

Re: how long is too long?

.......allow me to clarify.......they have been shot and, if still viable,
should contain some good images.

Mark C

Mark C 07-23-2003 03:11 PM

Re: how long is too long?

"Roland Karlsson" wrote > Hi Mark - why do you ask us? :)
Only you can know if the films may contain anything of value.
Personally I would have made it a try - but that is because I am who I am.

Mark responds:

When I pose the question it is with the hope that someone with more
experience than I will respond with sound advice. If the majority of the
have deteriorated over the years.....then maybe I would simply not waste my
money......know what I mean.

Mark

Andrew McDonald 07-23-2003 03:44 PM

Re: how long is too long?

Mark C wrote:
> I was going through some old stuff and came across one roll of Ektachrome
> and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time I
> shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
> taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the trash......or
> if it were you.....would you have them developed? I know that they have
> been stored in a cool dry place for all these years.
>
> Any thoughts?

Take the chance. What are we talking here, USD$20 max for three rolls
of film? I have not developed any slide film in a long time.

If they look like crap then at least you tried. If they don't then
there is no telling what you might have thrown away.

But you should try.

HRosita 07-23-2003 05:35 PM

Re: how long is too long?

>Mark C wrote:

>When I pose the question it is with the hope that someone with more
>experience than I will respond with sound advice.

Hi Mark,

Exposed film deteriorates much faster than not-exposed film.
I found a roll of Fuji film in my camera bag that had been exposed some 5 years
ago
and had it developed because I was curious. It was worthless.
If there is a lab in your area, call them and ask them if it is worth the
money. Personally, I would just pretend I never found the film and pitch it.
Or you can try to have one film processed and see what develops (pun intended).
Rosita

fox2fromgunshotlead 07-23-2003 05:40 PM

Re: how long is too long?

At an average $8 a roll (significantly less in other places), I would chance
it on the hope that there were some pictures of value.

Juan R. Pollo 07-23-2003 05:50 PM

Re: how long is too long?

Go for it. It's my understanding that reversal film is much more forgiving
than print film. I know for a fact that this is the case for Kodachrome, but
I'm not so sure this also applies to Ektachrome and Fujichrome, which use
the much simpler E-6 processing. In any case, just let the processor know
what happened and they'll take it from there. I hope you find some treasures
in those rolls.

Juan

c0smic 07-23-2003 07:25 PM

Re: how long is too long?

Mark C wrote:

> I was going through some old stuff and came across one roll of Ektachrome
> and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time I
> shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
> taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the trash......or
> if it were you.....would you have them developed? I know that they have
> been stored in a cool dry place for all these years.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Ciao,
> Mark C
> Nashville, TN

I recently found some exposed film in one of my dads old
cameras. It was over 20 years old. Got it developed at
Wal-Mart. The photos had the appearance of extremely
under-exposed film. But with some Photoshop work I was able
to bring quite a bit back.
--
*** *** ***
your reply here in the newsgroup is appreciated

Mark C 07-23-2003 08:02 PM

Re: how long is too long?

I have decided to take Rosita's advice and get one roll developed.....and
see what turns up.....I will let you all know how it comes out.

Thanx for all the responses.....

Mark

Steve Roys 07-23-2003 08:15 PM

Re: how long is too long?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Mark C wrote:

> I was going through some old stuff and came across one roll of Ektachrome
> and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time I
> shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
> taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the trash......or
> if it were you.....would you have them developed? I know that they have
> been stored in a cool dry place for all these years.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Ciao,
> Mark C
> Nashville, TN

You'll never know until you try. Sell your car for the $, or take out a
loan and have them developed.

Steve.