Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cost of Digital Cameras (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238914-cost-of-digital-cameras.html)

Simon Marchini 07-20-2003 09:05 AM

Cost of Digital Cameras

Last week I posted a questions about digital v film. This seemed to
generate a large number of responses - some of them useful others not so.
Anyway, one of the questions I was asking was about the whether now was the
right time to buy as the cost of digital cameras was falling and their
performance was rising. The camera I was using to test this was the Canon
10D - a camera that will probably be known to most people. Well I have just
discovered that since its launch in the UK its price has fallen by 17% - not
bad in under 6 months.

Now there will no doubt be a lot of reasons why this is - however, I do
believe that this does illustrate the point that when buying a digital
camera you have to be very careful of the time to do this. This also, I
feel, illustrates that digital photography is a branch of personal
computing and so as soon as you hand over your hard earned cash the
cherished piece of equipment will devalue rapidly in a very short period of
time.

I think it should be clear I am not arguing whether you would be able to
tell the difference between a 5mp or 6.3 mp camera or that this is the only
aspect of digital photography. It is just that I feel that we are entering
an era when the real value of digital equipment will collapse compared to
the performance being offered.

I would welcome other's views

Pat Chaney 07-20-2003 11:09 AM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

On 20/7/03 10:05 am, "Simon Marchini" <SimonMarchini@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Last week I posted a questions about digital v film. This seemed to
> generate a large number of responses - some of them useful others not so.
> Anyway, one of the questions I was asking was about the whether now was the
> right time to buy as the cost of digital cameras was falling and their
> performance was rising. The camera I was using to test this was the Canon
> 10D - a camera that will probably be known to most people. Well I have just
> discovered that since its launch in the UK its price has fallen by 17% - not
> bad in under 6 months.

For me the price and performance of the 10D did make it the right time to
buy into digital (also in the UK). I don't think the price of the 10D will
drop again for quite some time though, judging by the rate at which they are
currently selling.

> Now there will no doubt be a lot of reasons why this is - however, I do
> believe that this does illustrate the point that when buying a digital
> camera you have to be very careful of the time to do this. This also, I
> feel, illustrates that digital photography is a branch of personal
> computing and so as soon as you hand over your hard earned cash the
> cherished piece of equipment will devalue rapidly in a very short period of
> time.

Firstly, you (obviously) don't buy a digital SLR (or indeed any item
dependent on technology) as an investment. Secondly, I suspect that the
performance of digital bodies will continue to improve (and the prices drop)
for many years before levelling off - although the rate of change has slowed
considerably from 2-3 years ago. The PC market is still doing that now; you
can buy the fastest PC available, and get it home just in time to open a web
site and read about the launch of the next generation of processor.

Ultimately the choice is between buying and using something now, or waiting
until technological advance has stopped and prices stabilised. The trick is
not dying in the meantime :)

Pat
--
Photos at:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGalle...ll&AcctID=1251

Mark M 07-20-2003 11:53 AM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

"Simon Marchini" <SimonMarchini@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Last week I posted a questions about digital v film. This seemed to
> generate a large number of responses - some of them useful others not so.
> Anyway, one of the questions I was asking was about the whether now was

the
> right time to buy as the cost of digital cameras was falling and their
> performance was rising. The camera I was using to test this was the Canon
> 10D - a camera that will probably be known to most people. Well I have

just
> discovered that since its launch in the UK its price has fallen by 17% -

not
> bad in under 6 months.
>
> Now there will no doubt be a lot of reasons why this is - however, I do
> believe that this does illustrate the point that when buying a digital
> camera you have to be very careful of the time to do this.

Wait...and "time" your purchase to your heart's content.
Meanwhile...I'll be out creating images and memories with the camera you
still haven't gotten around to buying.
-How much is the loss of photographic opportunity worth to you?
-It's worth a lot more than 17% to me...
:)

Andrew McDonald 07-20-2003 12:35 PM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

Simon Marchini wrote:
> Now there will no doubt be a lot of reasons why this is - however, I do
> believe that this does illustrate the point that when buying a digital
> camera you have to be very careful of the time to do this.

While you are waiting for the "perfect" moment to buy a digital camera I
will be using mine. I paid $1999 for my D100 and of course the price
has dropped since I bought it. Do I care? Not really. I have some
great shots I would not have had if I kept waiting.

Wayne P 07-20-2003 12:54 PM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

I had been waiting for a nice digital to hit the market. I decided the 10d
was it . . . You can wait for the right performance at the right price, but
there will always be something newer/better/cheaper on it's way to market.
Sometimes you just have to say the waiting is over and jump.

wayne

MarkH 07-20-2003 01:02 PM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

"Simon Marchini" <SimonMarchini@btinternet.com> wrote in

> the point that when buying a
> digital camera you have to be very careful of the time to do this.
> This also, I feel, illustrates that digital photography is a branch
> of personal computing and so as soon as you hand over your hard earned
> cash the cherished piece of equipment will devalue rapidly in a very
> short period of time.

The thing is that photography is about taking pictures. You need a camera
to do that. I’ve had my 10D for about 6 or 7 weeks now and the price is
still the same. If I had bought a film SLR and taken the same number of
pictures, then I would have spent more than the 10D cost. So I am now
ahead, even if the price next year is under $1000US for the same or better
camera.

I didn’t buy my 10D as an investment, I bought it to take pictures. It is
living up to my expectations very well, so I am happy.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

HRosita 07-20-2003 01:26 PM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

Hi,

What is the value of a new car when you drive it off the dealer's lot? how much
does it lose in value?

If you are so worried about a 17% drop, wait 6 months and buy it used (if you
can find one)..
Rosita

Bill Karoly 07-20-2003 01:58 PM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

It's like the person who keeps intending to buy the latest PC but holds off
because the price keeps dropping. I have not seen the 10D really drop in
price at all - it's still around $1499 here in the US. It's a great camera.
Buy it now because digital cameras will continue to increase in resolution
and performance and if you sit around unable to decide to buy now you'll
miss out on the fun.

Bill

Jim Townsend 07-20-2003 03:19 PM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

Simon Marchini wrote:

> Last week I posted a questions about digital v film. This seemed to
> generate a large number of responses - some of them useful others not so.

If you post the same question next week it will still generate a huge number of
Film is the number ONE topic on rec.photo.digital and rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Actually, if you *really* want to start a huge thread, crosspost to both
groups.

> Anyway, one of the questions I was asking was about the whether now was the
> right time to buy as the cost of digital cameras was falling and their
> performance was rising. The camera I was using to test this was the Canon
> 10D - a camera that will probably be known to most people. Well I have just
> discovered that since its launch in the UK its price has fallen by 17% - not
> bad in under 6 months.
>
> Now there will no doubt be a lot of reasons why this is - however, I do
> believe that this does illustrate the point that when buying a digital
> camera you have to be very careful of the time to do this. This also, I
> feel, illustrates that digital photography is a branch of personal
> computing and so as soon as you hand over your hard earned cash the
> cherished piece of equipment will devalue rapidly in a very short period of
> time.

If saving money is important, then wait at least ten years before you buy a
digital camera..

Right now, invest the $1500.00 you would have spent on a 10D. By that time the
return on the investment will be enough to buy a quality digi with double the
features for half the price.

You'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Brandy Alexandre 07-20-2003 04:22 PM

Re: Cost of Digital Cameras

Simon Marchini <SimonMarchini@btinternet.com>, with thought and
calculation, said in rec.photo.digital:

> Now there will no doubt be a lot of reasons why this is - however,
> I do believe that this does illustrate the point that when buying
> a digital camera you have to be very careful of the time to do
> this. This also, I feel, illustrates that digital photography is
> a branch of personal computing and so as soon as you hand over
> your hard earned cash the cherished piece of equipment will
> devalue rapidly in a very short period of time.

I go through this thought process every time I buy any technology. It
all changes practically every day, so if you're going to wait for a
price fall, you'll get it when the next new thing you want comes out at
a higher price. Then that price will fall, because a couple of month
later there's something new. You just have to hold your nose and dive
in. Get what you want or what you need at a price you're willing to
pay and be happy.

--
Brandy**Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx